bhawkmember
48 posts

Posted:
If I remember correctly, Copper Sulfate burns green or blueish-green. I havent seen anyone suggest that for colored flames, is there a reason for that? My friend had one of those chemistry kits for kids, and with it came some CuSO4 so I was wondering if it'd be smart to burn that. Maybe some of you could tell me (in simple terms) if its toxic or if it has some other bad effects.

SabineGOLD Member
29 posts

Posted:
Morning Bhawk,I have used CuSO4 for green flames. You just dissolve some in methylated spirits (not kero or other petroleum-based fuel). The pros would be that the flame is an intense green and stays on the stick for several burns without the need to re-dip in your CuSO4 solution. Re-dipping can take place in any fuel (including petroleum-based fuels).The cons include the green stays on your stick for several burns and does cause damage to metal and kevlar. I'm finding the fibres are going ratty (fraying and stiffening) after only a few burns. If you can, use a dedicated toy for colour (not sure if you spin poi or sticks). As to the toxicity of CuSO4 - it is a fertiliser and the smoke (post twirling) is very smelly. The MSDS form does not consider it very toxic but I would recommend that you put the smoke out (by re-dipping) as soon as possible - take care not to ignite your fuel in the process by re-dipping too soon. Hope this helps.Sabine

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Do people know of other chemicals that can be mixed for other colours??From memory iron compounds burn with a very red colour.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
There's a bit on flames on this site: https://www.geocities.com/firepoi/index_css.html
and I've found this old thread here on HOP https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000434.html
which has some very useful info in it.------------------C@ntus

Meh

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
Just thought I'd add that you can buy copper sulphate at garden stores, it's used as a fertilizer :-)x

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
Just thought I'd add that you can buy copper sulphate at garden stores, it's used as a fertilizer :-)x

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....