Forums > Technical Discussion > starch on clothes, hard to burn?

Login/Join to Participate

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
i think this is where it belongs, if not please feel free to whip me into submission madames and sirs alike. any ways, when i do all of my wraps with fire i put on my camoflauge shirt, which in itself is pretty thick (50% nylon 50% cotton) now i have been wondering, this shirt has a lot of starch in it, and i once had a flame stuck on my arm for about 30 to 45 seconds before i yanked it off. nothing happened, just a little warm. now do you think that the layers and layers of old starch had any effect on the actual clothing lighting up?is there any fact about this or was i just lucky?well, before i get jumped on for safety, i had 2 other guys there and an entire ocean at my back, i just knew that i was not anywhere near getting burned. kept my cool and finally pulled it off and kept on with my spin.

anyone got a light?

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
You turned your back on the ocean tsk tsk*stirs* smile------------------ - Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -https://wickeffect.cjb.net

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
blasphemy! wink no i just meant that it had my back, would help me out with her infinite power to control most, if not all the other elements if i so needed it. usually i am half way in the ocean as i spin. just cant help myself, one good element deserves another right?

anyone got a light?

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Ive only spun at the beach once, bit stupid, guess when u live so close u take it for granted smileI too am interested to know about the starch though *gets out the can of preen and sprays clothes**grin*------------------ - Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -https://wickeffect.cjb.net

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Well so far i have learnt that starch is great to keep insects off ya clothes!And it washes off in hot water, so u need to reapply...But on a chemical level, starch has a high water content, so maybe that helps?I also found out that there a lot of websites on how to wash clothes.....hmmmm------------------ - Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -https://wickeffect.cjb.net

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
cool stuff frenzie. my "theory" was that maybe with the starch it put some kind of bond between the fibers. i guess what i mean is that fibers that are not woven close together i think are much mor susseptible to burning because oxygen can get in between the thread easier. wheras tighter woven material has smaller gaps for oxygen and fire to get into and catch. now does the starch even further close these gaps so that there is not enough O2 going into the fibers?now that was just an UNeducated guess okay.by the way thanks for surfing and trying to help frenzie.

anyone got a light?

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
good theory smile------------------ - Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -https://wickeffect.cjb.net

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
tink you. hopefully someone will prove or disprove it soon huh?

anyone got a light?

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
New research topic:How might the application of starch/Preen be different/similar to applying scotchguard to your clothes? Discuss.

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
I was thinking about scotchgard Ade, and that lead me to think about aerosol and how when u hold up a lighter........ *sigh* im having one of "those" days at work where i have nothing to do and bored silly!I know scotchgard makes your clothes smell funny, my mum used to spray it all over our snow gear each year------------------ - Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -https://wickeffect.cjb.net

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
yeah, i wondered about the whole aerosol thing myself. i am sure it has to be different once ironed and dried out though, right? does scotch guard help things in their flammability sense?

anyone got a light?

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Yeah the aerosol isnt a worry once it has left the can.... Not sure about how much better scotchgard would be, guess the best way to find out would be to test it!

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Scotchguard actually protects against moisture penetrating the fibres of the fabric pozee, sort of like a protective coating. Is your camoflauge gear treated with anything else (i.e., they're designed to be worn in combat, I'm assuming, so are they treated any differently to protect those who wear them?)Yeah, I know about those days Frenzie - I've got plenty to do, but would rather be doing something else smile Like filming!! - I've had to cancel 4 times because of the weather gods having their way with me!! Lookin' good for this arv though....

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
No, no, no, no, no, no, bad. I'm not claiming to be an expert in this field but I think you may be setting yourself up for BBQ'd Prozee.Starch is flammable. Infact, a quick check reveals that it has a lower flash point than the nylon in your coat (easier to burn.) Not very flammable mind you. But it will burn. By spraying it on you may have insignificantly lowered the absorbtion of any fuel but it sounds like you got lucky.I'd hate to see you guys using Russian Roulette logic here ("Hey, I didn't die the first time I pulled the trigger, it must be safe!")I wouldn't count on any spray anything to lower the flammibility of any fabric unless it specifically was designed for it. Even by lowering the flammability of the FABRIC, your not making it much safer as the fuel on you can still burn! Remember, you can wrap your hand in aluminum foil and still get burned if you touched a candle. Even if you had a completely (magically) inflammable fabric on, if you hit yourself and got fuel on the fabric it would quickly burn the skin underneath. Heck, look how nicely our poi burn when soaked in fuel and they're made of KEVLAR!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
NYC, thanks for clearing that up. now mind you i did not spray the starch on and then run out and play with fire. my jacket has been sprayed many times over with heavy starch and then quickly ironed. i would guesstimate that those cammies have been starched about 15 different times to complete crispness and then they probably sat around for like 3 or 4 months before i drug them out and used them. would this make any difference?by the way, i was hoping to hear from you about this. i figured you could instantly shed a little light on my theory.thanks bunches bro!!

anyone got a light?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
(Sorry it took me a while, sometimes I miss posts as they slide by me during a day I don't check...)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
thank you and your infinite wisdom NYC. great to have you around to help us less informed people out..

anyone got a light?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
"Infinate wisdom" over hear can't even do a 5 beat that doesn't look like crap. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]