Forums > Technical Discussion > Does anyone know where I can get this kind of poi?

Login/Join to Participate

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Hi,I saw a design of flourescent poi the other night which I've never seen before but they look and feel excellent. I was wondering if anyone knows where to get them. Here's a description:they are kind of like a long, slightly stretchy, flourescent sock with a weighted end and a loop at the other end. They look a little like clubs when they're spun because of their shape etc.thanks a lot.Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Do you mean as if they were fire ropes but without fire ?cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

GoaFiremember
71 posts

Posted:
hey jo...where were u the other night...just out of curiosity...i saw the same kind of thing..but i was at a club called cabbage in leeds...goafire

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
I'll try to remember to post a pic of my 'sock' Poi tomorrow (great name!). A lot of these are simple DIY Poi, tights with squash or tennis balls in them. Mine are hand made.I'm building a web-site that will include instructions on how to make these, but untill then:1) My Original 'Sock' Poi. Basically a long triangle of cloth sewn around a tennis ball. On mine the cloth is 50/50 yellow and green UV active.2) Fire Poi CoversI've also created the same triangles (but in shining metallic green cloth), but with velco all round so that I can wrap them around my Fire Poi when no alight. Et Volia! You can practice with your fire poi, look cool and avoid charcol stains!So, who says men can't sew!DomP.S. I'll be up at Leeds (cabbage) on the 27th (next one I'm told), so will bring my various toys up then if you're interested. My Fire Poi will be 3 headed by then, so hope for dry weather!Dom

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Men can't sew! Men can't sew![looks around surreptiously]It's too hard, requires too much skill and is always done better by the ladies anyway...(if my fiance thinks we can sew, i might have to start hemming my trousers myself!)------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
Me 'Sock' Poi: https://www.alternativa.co.uk/SockPoi.jpgNot
the neatest things in the world, but fun!Material for each Poi was 2 right angled triangles (2 different colours per Poi) 25 inches by 5. Handles are basically loops of material, but mine ended up with softer material inside the loops as it rubs less.OK, men probably have too clunky hands and no patience for sewing, but it's easier if you have access to a kick-ass sewing machine. However some hand stiching is involved!My brother actually makes a lot of his own clothes, but then again his partner is a full on textile/fashion designer!Dom

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Those sock poi look cool!I might have to sew myself some smileJosh-Another Self Confessed Seamsman

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Alternativa : really nice... makes me want to learn to sew properly FINALLY !!!shine oncassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

ReddevilBRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:
You can buy these in toy shopsi used one of these before i made my first poi set, they are actually sold individually and its for a game where you stand against a wall and bash the ball against the wall around you, left, right between your legs.mine has like a rubbery ball on the end with 4 different colours of like kite material making up the triangle, and i just made loops at the end. you home made ones look nice though.

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
Reddevil,Is this a Dutch thing?What is the name of this bizzare toy??Thanks.Dom

ReddevilBRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:
i dont think its a dutch thing, but im not sure if they sell them in toy shops anywhere else, you can check,they were about 3 uk pounds each, will have to check to see what its called, i actually thought they were poi's when i got them, until my little sister showed me what your suppose to do with it by smashing it against a wall and throwing it around so the tail bounces, after that i made my own poi's from tennis balls. anyway will check the name and keep you posted

hexonlegsmember
12 posts

Posted:
I've made loads of poi and chains, wouldn't dream of buying a pair. I make all my own costumes too; SO CAN YOU!P.S I am great at sewing, yar boo sucks to all u girlies

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
its called a foxtail, as made by the klutz people...