alleykatmember
49 posts

Posted:
First... In my own defense: I know another thread exists on this topic (see "Ok, I'm back, and I have issues, under technical discussion), but I'm starting a new one with a more self-explanatory subject heading.Here's my question: I live in an apartment, in Brooklyn, and I need to soak my new wicks. Where can I do this without a) being a fire hazard, b) stinking up my apartment, or c) exposing my wicks to getting stolen/messed with/destroyed by the elements? I don't have a fire escape, or a porch, or any outdoor space to call my own. Suggestions?peace,alleykat

this little light of minei'm gonna let it shine...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
You don't need to soak new wicks. I've never soaked a wick in my life. Dunk, spin, light. Repeat as necessary.Soaking wicks is just an urban legend. But don't eat poprocks and coke. winkHey, where do you spin? Or do I already know you? smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
At a friend's place :PI had the same issues with my old house, never lit my stick cause the only place to keep it was inside, but since I've moved I've now got room.I soak wicks, we have whips that we use that are tightly woven and need soaking else the fuel doesnt penetrate.

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hmm, NYC, I don't like disagreeing with chemists (you might give me a rash or soemthing) but it MAY depend on the type of wick you have and the way you use it as to whether you need to presoak...I've been through 5 firestaffs in the last 2 years, and have noticed a huge difference between the ones I pre-soaked and the ones i didn't.These staffs (bar one) were all aluminium with Wale tape (yellow, kevlar/cotton blend) with 1.5 to 4 feet of wick on each end.The presoaked ones lasted much longer, had a longer burn time and took longer to get sooty and dirty than the ones I didn't soak. They also seemed less likely to fray, but that may be due to other factors as above.I tend to light up for anywhere between 1-4 hours, and often leave one burning while I use another, or do doubles.I tend to do a few nasty drops and concrete scrapes when practicing which can be harsh on the poor wee things frownSo, for anyone with similar toys, who uses them in a similar way, I strongly recommend pre-soaking them.I think the biggest variable is that some people say to soak them for a day and some to soak them for 10 minutes. I don't know, but am assuming however long it takes for the fuel to saturate the whole way through the wick/cotton is as long as you need, and extra is just wasted.My soaks for new wick tend to be 15-20 minutes, and done before I use them but while I'm using older staffs...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I guess I was calling "soaking a few minutes just long enough to saturate" a "dunk." I've had people not want to spin in a certain evening because they hadn't soaked their wicks for the legendary 24 hours.And I KNOW that concrete destroys them FAR faster than burning.I'm just shooting from the hip here but I can't imagine what soaking for longer does... I'll withdraw my reservations if someone can provide me with SOME evidence. All the evidence that I've ever gotten has been "Naaa dude, you GOTTA soak em'" Or the always scientific "Dude, I always soak em', trust me-you gotta soak em'" or even "I heard that kid Mikey from the Life cereal commercial didn't presoak his wicks..."Maybe I'm wrong, but my wicks are fine. The next wicks I make I'll presoak one wink but that won't be for a while cuz I don't bang em on the ground like y'all do.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
Pre-soaking or not, I bought a new 1 gallon paint can and lid. Took the heads off of my poi, put them in the can with fuel, and they soak all the time. The lid keeps the smell away, and by putting the heads on the can it keeps the soot off of anything I don't want sooty. How legal it is I don't know. I wrote Kero on the can, and it works for me.

Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with normal people.

alleykatmember
49 posts

Posted:
Thanks for your help, dudes. NYC, it's doubtful that you know me, since I just arrived in the city and still haven't found folks to twirl with. Where do you go?Maelstrom brings up another question I have: What about fire codes? How do I find out what they are, and how do I avoid violating them/getting caught violating them? I figure the city must publish them somewhere. I also don't want to do anything seriously dangerous, like, oh, blow up my apartment.

this little light of minei'm gonna let it shine...

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
You wanna soak your wicks. I've learned this the hard way. My poi I've had since april I pre-soaked them for the 24 hours did the 3 light up's until they were wholey lit then put them out. Now like 8 months later they only have finges on the bottem. On the other side I didn't pre-soak the staff wicks or even give them the pre-lights. Now less then 4 months down the line they are nearly rdy to be thrown out. The whole outer layer is gone.Is there anyway you could maybe get onto the roof of your building? Or even ask a neghbor if you could leave them in thier garage over night?

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
Soak the wicks outside, shake them out & put them in a sealed bag/container that you keep in the flat. Or, if you prefer to keep them soaked, fill a suitable container with fuel and stick them in it.Remember, always clearly write on the label what is in there. You don't want someone drinking the fuel/ chucking your poi out! I've had a couple of close shaves...Princess xxx

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Alleykat, I mostly spin in Brooklyn but haven't been as active as I like lately. Sick, work, etc... I've never had trouble with the police in NYC. I spun in many public places and usually they just drive on by. But that was pre-WTC. All bets are off these days. You should be OK in Brooklyn.Email me if you're want to hook up for a spin.mrmoNYC@aol.com

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]