Rainmember
69 posts

Posted:
when making staffs i use strips of bike tyre tube wound around the staff and fasten it on using electrical tape. does anyone make theirs differently? what are other people using? what works and what doesn't? thanks in advance. Rain.

tcwmember
6 posts

Posted:
well im new to twirling and i put a tennis overgrip onto my staff's handle

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
I like using electrical insulating tape. Also, masking tape works really well and ages nicely, suprizingly enough.

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

sammiemember
56 posts

Posted:
Badminton grip or electrical tape does the job. Does anyone know if electrical tape will burn and melt?Spamm tongue

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Tape burns...yup...smells nasty and curls nicely. I use it though..double sided tape underneath the leather grips that I sew around the staff...to hold it in place until the glue I use sets. Love that leather! grin------------------PeleHigher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
I've tried a lot of things, and finally settled on bike inner tube too. I like it cause it gives a good grip, even if you splash kero on it, and it doesn't disintegrate as quickly as tape. I've tried masking tape, electrical tape, holographic tape, etc, but I find they tend to go sticky and greasy if you get kero on them. Sammie - they'll melt, but only if you put them too close to the flame. You need about 20cm of clear metal on each end before the tape starts. I like long grips, as a lot of my moves use the full length of the staff, but you can't have them tooo long! :) I've also tried some tape that racing cyclists use to cover their handlebars. It's black, and made of cork (although it looks nothing like cork to me). It feels kind of spongey. It was okay....I found it a bit heavy, and it soaked up kero more than other grips, but it'd be good if you have problems with blisters, as it was reeeeally soft :) At the moment, I have some of that metal holographic wrapping paper wrapped smoothly underneath the tyre grip, so it sparkles in the gaps. Looks nice for the audience, and it means I can just 'look for the green bit' when I'm trying to catch a high throw ;) The tyre grip is wound around the staff in one direction, then crosses back and goes the other way, so it's in a criss-cross pattern. I've seen staffs made with suede as a grip. I don't like them personally, but it's something you could try out too :)have fun,xhave fun

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

.draevonBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
Because some of us use a lot of throwing and catching when e play with our staffs, i like to make my grips slightly padded. For this we use thin foam that Maeon found in a giant roll on the side of the road one day (off the back off a truck i guess). Anyways ... it's the stuff they put between slabs of concrete to allow for expansion ... it's about 3mm thick.I put a layers of the foam on the staff ... then bind it on as tight as i can with gaffer tape (about 3 layers of tape). Then i leave it sit for a week, so the tape can contract ... this compresses the foam some more. Then i use black tennis racquet grip glued on over the top. I use white tape to bind up the edges of the handle, which also helps for catching in the dark.Ðraevon

Chris @ Fireworksmember
4 posts

Posted:
Why not try good old reliable leather!There are a couple of inherent problems with all syhthetic grips. Firstly they generally don't handle heat or direct flame very well. Most will literally dissolve if exposed to fuels. Many foam handles will absorb sweat which can become corrosive with the above conditions. Also their insulating qualities are pretty poor, not good for fingy's.You'll find leather is extremely hard wearing, sometimes one grip will out last half a dozen synthetics no problems. Leather handles the heat, fuel and sweat due mainly to the tanning process, i've been told, making itimpurvious to moisture and heat.At first it doesn't feel to grippy, but with only a bit of use it becomes a little tacky and definitely improves control.If you can get your hands on some leather golf club grips from yonks ago, you'll find them perfect. But their a bit rare these days so you'll have to look around.Happy twirlin', Chris @ Fireworks.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
bumparooni....any other suggestions people?I personally use layer upon layer of electrical tape for my handles. On my single staff I have tape over a bandage that I added for padding.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

jedimastahmember
97 posts

Posted:
I use about 60 feet of 1\8 inch leather strap. Sure it will take you about an hour and a half to wrap it but it is worth the effort. Every three or four wraps I dab a drop of krazy glue in between the straps to bind and strengthen the leather. When you get to the end simply tie a figure 8 not with a couple of dabs of krazy glue. After that I wet the knot only at the ends and let it dry for a fiew days. When the water evaporates the leather will shrink and give it the extra tightness to stay.

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
The people in Oddballs in London suggested I use the cycling handlebar tape that Xaeda mentioned, with a bit of insulating tape at the ends to finish it off. To that I would add some kind of reflective/coloured strip in the middle (at the balance point) to make it easier to catch.I haven't actually tried this yet, but the guy who told me about it was referred to as 'The Staff Man'...Good luck!Princess xJedimastah - you sure have got patience, boy!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I use tennis racket grip tape...its padded, and designed to reduce jarring which is great if you slightly stuff up a high throw. I havent had any problems with it so far.On my big heavy long staff, I have glued on leather which is cool - feels nice.Josh

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
My first staff had a seatbelt webbing grip,then I tried tennis racquet overgrips. Now I use a tennis racquet replacement grip. The racquet grip has a bit of padding and feels great.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Agnimember
28 posts

Posted:
Leather always worked for me.My friend has a staff he bought off this site, with some synthetic grip (I'm not really sure what it is, feels like wool or something), and I find it much too slippery for my taste.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Umm, gee (looks embarrassed).umm....(looks at his three current staffs)errr...will i get laughed at if I'm honest and say I don't have any handles on my staffs?There's a little strip of black duct tape (holds better than eletrical and doesn't need replacing often) about 1cm long in the middle as a reference point, bu tthe rest is just soot and aluminium.Although the padding for high throws would have been good before my callouses came through about a year ago...It looks like I'm the odd one out in this post, but I don't think a handle is essential...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I've got one of the 3-part staves sold on this site. I believe the grip is the soft half of Velcro.I've also used cork handlebar tape on staves. It's nice stuff, feels grippy without being too grippy. There are other kinds of handlebar tapes out there with with various amounts of cushiness/grippiness/thickness.Finally, I'm working on some wooden staves right now, and the finished wood has a pretty decent feel all its own--even though the finish is dry, it has just the slightliest tacky feeling. No padding, obviously, but it feels pretty good by itself. I definitely think no-grip is an option.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
soft half of velcro would get slippery really quickly, surely? if it got kerod...i saw someone who got a glue gun and made a spiral all the way along a staff.. it was an led staff, but it would work for aluminium, and it was v good for grip.I use tennis racquet grip, although I think i would use leather.And for my first (non fire) staff, I spent 3 hours winding a ball of string really tightly on a wooden staff. That was a great grip, but would burn if i did it near fire... leather cord or lace platted over the thing, like on whip handles, would be good...

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

Bish_the_Dingmember
52 posts

Posted:
I have this machine, an engraving tool that works in the same manner as a tattoo needle except it has a tungsten carbide tip instead of a needle, anyway- Using an aluminium pole I took to decorating it with said engraver and noticed that the engravings provided a permanent non-slip surface all the way up the legnth of the pole without the pole losing its lustre or becoming dull. (I decorated it a lot ... I like my pole, ok !?)I'm now thinking of removing my synthetic tennis racket grip and patiently engraving a permanent grip, much like you see on excercising equipment, with center mark and all.The engraver digs in quite deep an even when the pole gets full of fuel you can still get a good grip.Might end up with rough hands/fingers though frownI reckon leather is where its at (Bish eyes one of his cows ...)What does kerosene/parafin do to leather over time ? (yes, I'm messy wink )Bish

Hasst du etwas zeit fuer mich?... Dan singe ich ein lied fuer dich ... -Bjork/Nena