• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Technical Discussion > How to make a 10 minute lasting flame

Login/Join to Participate

Posted:Hello firedancers! Here is the trick: (I did it with a staff, but you can do it on pois as well), 1) Get a strong glue, 2) Use a piece of cotton (an old t-shirt, e.g) and stick it to the staff, then get a femenin towel (!), yes, it is very absorbent, and also stick it over the cotton, then 3) put another piece of cotton over the femenin towel and then 4) a piece of old jeans (don't put a lot) and finally 5) wrap it with kevlar tape and use metal collars (i don't know the name in english) to tie all to the staff. Before testing, put it into gasoline and let it dry (takes like a whole day), Be pacient and the next day try your new SUPER TORCH, it would last aprox. for 10 minutes! any doubt write: mauricioacle@hotmail.com


Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
Location: Auckland
Member Since: 27th Jun 2001
Total posts: 3989
Posted:Warning - Be VERY VERY careful letting anything soaked in petrol or gasoline dry.Petrol not only has easily ignitable fuels (very low flashpoint) but burns at an incredibly hot temperature!If for any reason the petrol lights before it has all evaporated, the explosion could easily break nearby glass windows, and may well cause permanent hearing damage.In most cities, you could also get fined from the fire department or police.Remember that sunlight can reflect off windows, metal, someone could park a car nearby after you have left and the reflection from the window could ingnite the torch.If you have done this hundreds of times safely, it still takes just that once to lose your hand, be scarred for life or seriously hurt someone else.I urge people not to try this method out of mere curiosity...it may not be worth it.PLEASE NOTE: If there is any residual petrol left over after this torch dries, the flames will be much hotter than you may be used to. The normal hits, we are used to could burn you instantly or even melt clothing or set it on fire straight away. Also, burning gasline/petrol fumes are extremely toxic, and the carbon monoxide can make you drowsy, sleepy and even cause death [in poorly ventilated])AND FINALLY - there must be huge amounts of absorbent material on these wicks. I know that the burn will probably last just as long without doing the petrol thing, just soak it in a less dangerous and nasty fuel (do a search under Fuels) overnight. If you find it hard to light, mix a little white gas on the outside before you light up.Thank you very much for your information, Pyromantra, it is good to share these issues. I hope you are fully aware of the immediate and long-term consequences of using a dangerous volatile fuel such as gasoline, even just for preparation.However please be aware there are lots of people who read this site without posting, especially young children, who are not as safety conscious as most firies are.Thanks------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttp://juggling.co.nzPS If you are going to make another one soon, could you please try it without soaking it in gasoline? Just soak it in normal fuel and see how long it lasts. My email is the little envelope above [This message has been edited by Charles (edited 25 September 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Member Since: 30th Jan 2001
Total posts: 515
Posted:I dont think I could last 10 minutes with a lit stick!!!!Need to get fit
Non-Https Image Link

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

Location: Brunswick, Ohio
Member Since: 28th Jun 2001
Total posts: 397
Posted:Humm why put all that stuff on it?? Hehe my wicks on my staff are just about toast. Like the whole outer layer is gone. It's to late to try and flip the kevlar. However at the last fire meet this year I might wrap whole bath towels around each end. it should give about an hour burn time and have HUGE flames. I've been thinking of a way to wire up a whole bath towel to a poi but I don't think it's possiable with the amount of weight they would have with fuel. I'd need to use like coat hangers or somethin. Right now I use 1 1/2 by 2 foot kitchen towels on my poi and they burn for like 20-25 mins about 10 times. Then they take on a look of an over baked potato! I'm sure the same thing would happen with your mix of stuff.Also dude NO GAS... Ugh your idea would work just as good with kero or anything else.------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Location: London UK
Member Since: 23rd Jul 2001
Total posts: 337
Posted:i did the whole bath towel thing... since theyre temporary wicks i made a temporary staff out of a wooden broom handle, and nailed rolled up towels to each end. They bruned for ages with a HUGE flame. soaked up gallons of kero though!I couldnt be bothered to carry it home afterwards and i just left it there tho, so I don't know how many burns whole towels will take... also the nails would come loose pretty soon i would imagine. whole towel wicks are great though!------------------"O! for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention." - William ShakespeareCheck out my Online Gallery! Å Ĉ К я

x X x Ĉ К я x X x

Endangered Sanity
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Member Since: 11th Feb 2001
Total posts: 164
Posted:How long did it burn for?