Forums > Technical Discussion > What Can I Store White Gas In?

Login/Join to Participate

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I just realized that I have no way of safely transporting my coleman fuel that is less bulky than the big ol' metal gallon gas tank. Not sure that getting on a NYC subway with one of those would go over well these days. If I just want a small amount for eating and trailing, can I use plastic? Or will it dissolve? I was going to use a plastic water bottle but then I realized that it might dissolve it. What about a small glass soda bottle?Lamp oil is easy because I just syphon it into the smaller lamp oil bottles.I guess I can use a lamp oil bottle, no?Thoughts?[Side note, I like the new reminders to "search first" and "describe the topic" that you get when you post a new thread now...]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Xochidancemember
18 posts

Posted:
I use paint cans for all my fuel. Fresh cans though, not washed out post-paint. I use gallon containers for my kero or lamp oil, and they have these nice little ones about 4" diameter by 5-6" tall.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
You should be able to buy containers with Hazardous Goods ratings at any plastics store.I only ever use these now, since i found several types that re almost as cheap as the other containers, most brands have selections of tiny containers, some as little as 200mls.I did use a glass L&P (like coke) bottle for my kero when is was breathing, however it broke once when something heavy in my boot/trunk (looks innocent, wiping blood off hands) rolled into it and smashed.Hazardous Goods containers won't smash, even you throw them off a building...Unfortunately, as I'm on the other side of the world, you prbably don't have Payless Plastics, but I'm certain there would be similar stores there.------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 24 September 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Code128member
69 posts

Posted:
Paint Cans are the way to go, as you can throw your wicks into them while still hot, knock the top closed and be off the scene as fast as you like, with no worry about the hot wick melting into a plastic container.Oh and a painters trick for anyone that uses the cans, use a thin nail and knock some holes into the u shaped lip that receives the lid, that way after you pour, the fuel that would collect in the groove instead drops back down into the can. Charles, just wondering here but the way you speak of plastic stores they sound very pervasive throughout NZ. Is plastic a big industry there? I dont think I have ever passed a business that advertised itself as a plastic distributor. Im sure theres some place that will sell the containers you are talking about, and for buying nearly anything NY is the place to find it so im sure NYC wont have a problem, Just as an aside I had stored Kero in a big Gatorade jug for probably a little over a week with no ill effects. I really like those bottles, they are nearly free (with the purchase of G-Rade) and are strong, durable, and seal themselves better than some of the thermoses I have bought in the past. They are supposed to be disposable for heavens sake. (I never use that expression while talking) Code

------------------
A.N.T.H.E.L.I.O.N

ding-0-member
5 posts

Posted:
If your just doing eating and trailing and don't have to dip something with a large wick like poi or a staff a "MSR" bottle is perfect. In fact they are designed for carrying white gas hiking so they are light and strong and don't take much room in a pack.the downside is the size of the opening is a little bit on the small side and if your not carefull you can tip it over...

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Code128. I hope you are talking about kero or 440 special or lamp oil...NYC's question was about Colemans which I think is a white gas. If it is, you don't want to put hot wicks anywhere near the tin as it might ignite again.Also, if it doesn't, the heat will make the white gas evaporate faster and build up pressure inside the tin (UH OH!).But for more more stable, higher flashpoint fuels, I agree 100%!------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Code128member
69 posts

Posted:
Absolutely Charles, I think I lost the word Kero in my editing somewhere. Lamp Oil is pretty much my standard these days, good flame, not too hot and nice and stable. Maybe ill play with the White Gas again when the winter hits, and I need some extra warmth.Charles, White gas is I think an American name, I spent days of my life wandering south east asia trying to find white gas to no avail, do you know the term?Code128

------------------
A.N.T.H.E.L.I.O.N

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Random search on the internet says:***Is Coleman fuel white gas?Answer:Although Coleman fuel and other camp fuels are routinely called white gas, they are actually a naphtha. The two are very similar in characteristics. Naphtha is refined one more step and is therefore considered cleaner. It also has a slightly lower boiling point than unleaded gasoline, although it is in practicality undetectable. Coleman fuel has some additives to help prevent rusting of internal parts and facilitate long shelf life. I feel confident in recommending it for other brands of stoves that burn "white gas," but it would be prudent to check with the stove manufacturer.Jim Reid --- Coleman, Director of Public Relations ***I cut and pasted the quote from:https://www.gearreview.com/gearfaq/wgcoleman.asp(See... you should always reference your quotes, especially when they arise from the often faulty internet... I believe this one, Jim sounds like a campin' man to me.)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Code128, I've searched for the fuel threads and a few other sites and can't find a further description of "white gas" at all. I'll start a new thread asking the US dudes for brands and model numbers etc so that foreighners like us can locate it at home. not that I'm that keen on using it, but shoudl try some at some point...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
As long as we're on the subject:A friend recently made the discovery that no-name camping fuel burns hotter than Coleman-brand camping fuel (aka white gas, or whatever).Also: I can say from personal experience that typical plastic containers will warp when used for storing Coleman fuel, though I haven't seen one melt yet. I'm sure there are chem-resistant containers out there, somewhere.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Shoulda known...look here:https://www.mcmaster.com/and do a search on "bottle" or "can". They've got all kinds of stuff, including wide-mouth chem-resistant plastic bottles, wide-mouth glass bottles with safety coatings (so even if they shatter, they're contained), etc. You can even get cool old-fashioned milk jugs there. Along with damn near everything else.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Code128member
69 posts

Posted:
How cool is Mcmaster-Carr?Its like a wet dream for the A-Team. Code128Also the design and speed of the site is outstanding.

------------------
A.N.T.H.E.L.I.O.N

Availablemember
93 posts

Posted:
at campmor here in jersey(camping outdoor store) they have sleek specially made fuel carrying bottles. they're made of thick metal and are located right by the fuels check a store near you. i carry my oil in a nalgene also found in a camping store. i labeled it danger flamable material so no camper or who ever would drink from it. i wouldn't carry white gas in the container it comes in. its like a bomb waiting to happen if the sun hits it the wrong way let alone going underground with it these dayspeas and carrotssara

Better to Burn out than Fade out, Baby!

Berniemember

Posted:
i use a nalgene bottle.works great.the soft plastic kind with the drinking spout top work great (simply squirt the fuel onto the wicks), only problem i had was with the top. either the gas slightly weakened the plastic so it didn't like to close smoothly, or it got full of playa dust. (more likely the latter)i've let fuel sit in it for 3 weeks, with no deterioration of the container. (soft kind, hard kind is even more durable)nalgene was selling a red colored hard one specifically labeled for fuel/gas at the camping store too.

oldest.survivalistMember
1 post

Posted:
Canadian Tire Sells The Large 1 Gal Can [Product #076-0044-6] BUT They Also Carry The Small 1/4 Gal Bottle [Product #076-0093-8]
I buy The Gal & Use It To Keep My 1/4 Gal Full For Weekend Trek Or Over Nighter...