Forums > Technical Discussion > interesting idea for lighting wicks

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
PyroTechmember
8 posts

Posted:
hi a gentleman got in contact the other day, going by the name charles dolbel. he got me thinking on an idea. im an amateur pyrotechnitian and he asked if there was a way to light a staff, or clubs, or poi, or whatever you want to light with a wick, without holding it over the flames. i want to brainstorm this cos i have some ideas but i was wondeing if anyone has any brainwaves. I considered it and you need a powder that flares quick and hot. You can buy, quite cheaply, things called portfires from pro fireworks companys that do diy direworks for you to buy. just look in the phone book ander fireworks. Portfires are long card tubes filled with flare powder and have a way handle at the bottom. when lit they burn with a short blue flare thats quite hot. Now, the next bit is the naughty part. if you open one up you have a large amount of powder. if you warm your wicks up by lighting them in the usual way before a perfomance and use slightly warmed parafin or other fuel, then let them dry until their slightly damp. Then cover with the powder. the next part is the hard bit. I would suggest blackmatch, but thats not available to non trade so you need a hot burning fuse to wrap around the wicks on top of the powder and down to the grips, which would then be lit by hand in some manner.I havent tried this but if anyone can add some ideas to the last part i would be grateful------------------Embrace the power of firewith boths arms, then run screaming to the burns unit

Embrace the power of firewith boths arms, then run screaming to the burns unit

Ajaymember
158 posts

Posted:
im not sure if this is of any use at all but,if you get a small piece of wire wool and pass electricity through it (a 9v battery is saficiant) it burns. i used to play with fire etc. as a child and used this to ignite pilles of match heads. smilethe problem with this, with poi anyway, would be the battery/wire as with the rocket ignitor.

One fine day in the middle of the night,
Two dead men got up to fight,
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew there swords and Shot each other.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
My friend has a prop that is a golf club with the head covered in wick. He soaks it in parrafin and then dips it in petrol and sticks several matches into the underside. Then he simply takes it onto the street, takes aim, takes a swing and the flames take off. Well cool.Not so simultainious with staff but cheap and easy, kiss.LoveTom

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
Actually, that 9v battery and steel wool sounds like a solution. See, the battery I had to use for a model rocket igniter was a really big sucker, something like the size of three or four paperback books stacked together, and weighed about 2 kilos, if memory serves me adequately. It was the sort of thing you just couldn't strap to a staff without making it completely untwirlable.A standard 9 volt battery, OTOH, is small enough and light enough that you could slap that on using duct tape, and not even have to worry too much about placing close to the center of the staff (unless your staff was really light, or you're really sensitive to balance shifts.And I'd think that burning steel wool would ignite a soaked wick.

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Sounds interesting... *gets dangerous glint in his eye* smile *grins* If you hear about any major fires over here in Alberta... "It wasn't me!" wink------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

e-lapsemember
1 post

Posted:
kinda off the subject, but i've heard you can change the color of your flames.........i have no clue........tried boric acid to no avail........any suggestions?¿------------------.....there's an electric snake..........in the sky........-hunter s. thomson-

.....there's an electric snake..........in the sky........-hunter s. thomson-

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Just search for that.. there have already been a few topics about that.------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

Rick aka LokiBRONZE Member
134 posts

Posted:
GodlovinSponge: Nice idea with the transformer, but you need Alternating Current, like from a wall socket, rather than DC, like from a battery. And kmactaneis right about the voltage/current trade-off. What we really need for thermal energy in whatever we use for an igniter is power dissipation, which is current squared times resistance. Increasing the voltage does allow a higher maximum current, but the current reduction would be squared, so it wouldn't be an efficient trade-off.Man, I figured I wasn't the only one thinking about this kind of stuff (rocket igniters and such), but I didn't realize there was a whole COMMUNITY of crazy people out there. I think... I think I'm getting a little misty here... *sniff*... I love you guys... I- AARRGH! My foot's on fire!I searched at a hardware store the other day for heat-proof wire, but to no avail. I've been considering finding a very thin kevlar or fiberglass string and threading the wire through the centre (I spin poi, primarily, so I could use the insulation). Just one would be enough, since it's more for electrical insulation than thermal. I like the idea of ending the wire a distance up the chain and then using fuse from there to the wick. Does anyone actually know how much fireworks fuse costs?Maybe steel wool could substitute for the fuse...

-Rick aka Loki
oh, man, a signature?... uuh... this is like coming across wet cement... uuh, shoot, I had something clever I was saving... I hope I don't run out of sp

eturn80member
15 posts

Posted:
Ola mi amigos! Just a thought, i have a friend that uses roman candles at the end of his chains occasionally. The neat thing being, is that they light by hitting the end of them on somthing hard. For showman ship, he usually starts twirling in butterfly, stops them both mid twirl (and with the proper timing) smacks the two ends against eachother, creating a kind of momentary "Darth Maol" kind of double saber, and then continues twirling. Don't know if this is usful, but its a thought! :P Much luv all!---------------------------------------------"We are conected to eachother through the fire inside of us, that spark which we call life." -Aristotle grin

hexonlegsmember
12 posts

Posted:
I use one of those slow burning firework igniters(like a bit of string that slowly smoulders, glowing red)tucked in a wristband; then a small ball of flash-paper in the hands(concealed of course). To light put hand near wick ,touch flash-paper to glowy-thing and BOOM! there you go!Always a crowd pleaser.P.S try not to get fuel on the flash paper!!

DeuceTrinalmember
3 posts

Posted:
I was recently into the model rocket scene, and the ignitors we used were a lot like has been described - a small peice of folded wire, with a bit of black hardened goo on the end. The two ends of the wire were attached to the battery pack, which was a small plastic box with four (or six?) AA batteries in it and a button. When you held the button, the ignitor got hot, and off went the rocket. The fresher your batteries, or the more of them, the better. Six batteries would yield about the same current as a 9V battery...and often we would just open our car's hood, and use the 12V charge from the battery. Worked very fast. I would think that I could easily tape the ignitor to the end of my staff or poi (only the very tip gets very hot) and hold a battery in my hand(s) or attach 1/3 down each end of my staff. If they were the same distance from the center, balance would be fine, I think. I bet I could even work out a AA battery pack for the center of the staff. a small switch or push button would work fine for ignition, or even a body mounted battery pack w/ breakaway plugs. Hmmm. So many ways. But I bet it would not be hard to use rocket ignitors, and they're available at most hobby shops for cheap.

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
WOW!!!! thats so conveniant IM an amature pyrotech too... course i haven't got the schooling im self proclaimed AND learn trial and error.. bhwahaha i thought if perhaps you had a ton of cash *or maybe not* im not sure yet i have to try it.. took oh of those bbq lighters? and took the ingniter out of it made if longer and stuck it inside an aluminum staff with a switch *switch would resemble that of a gun? so click the switch and poof flamage..OR (heres a tha cash bit and electronic swtich zap zap.. i dont know how hot/ well working those get though.. i know they set off fire works damn good.Also about the lighter it may not work becuase kerosene takes longer to catch than lighter fluid.. hey you know what? lets just take some butane curling irons and make a blow torch staff.. and you get the pretty blue flame thing happening..and for the powder stuff on a poi.. for the time it takes for the fuse to go you could have stuck it in the fire..I tried the powder thing with sparklers as i thought the the wire on the sparklers on would be hot enough to egnite the wick (THOSE sparkelrs are a bugger to light).. needless to say it didnt work. Although if you do that on the outside of your wick and stick it int he fire you get approx. 30 secound of sparkling fire AND a flame..hmmmmm all i have to do to get more ideas is keep typing... odd.?P.S tech guy.. what kind of powder do they use for making pictures on the ground in flames "think the crow movie" as i want to spin fire int he middle of something similar(btw its not a mixturse of gasoline orange juice and laundry soap) (i was a curious child.) shhh.. let us never speak of it again... wink[This message has been edited by SorchaTheFlaming (edited 19 December 2001).][This message has been edited by SorchaTheFlaming (edited 19 December 2001).][This message has been edited by SorchaTheFlaming (edited 19 December 2001).]

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

McFlymember
7 posts

Posted:
Hi. My name is McFly, and I am a pyromaniac.I've been mentally trying to figure this problem out for a while, even before I started twirling. I've yet to make a prototype. The following are just thoughts of mine, and much of it is repeated from previous posts. All should be taken with a grain of salt.The model rocket igniters are probably the best commercially avaiable product, and they don't need a lot of current to start. 4 AA batteries is standard, but less may work (they'd just have a shortened lifespan).You definately want to steer clear of the thrusters, although the powder may be removed and crushed for some other use (with EXTREME CAUTION).I've made my own igniters by winding extremely fine wire around a match head, and running the ends down either side of the matchstick. Just make sure one end doesn't short the other or there won't be enough resistance to create the heat needed to set the red phosphor alight. These do not require a lot of current, however finer wire (such as the aformentioned steel wool) does use less, but they're much harder to make.I've thought about BBQ lighters, as some of them are cigar shaped with a syringe style trigger. Push button igniters from gas heaters are also a possibility. These type of quartz based igniters (you squeeze the quartz crystal and an electrical charge is given, I think) could be placed inside the twirling rod and designed with a pump action. Wires to a gap (so it jumps like a spark plug) or a form of igniter.If you could get a bigger lump of quartz, you could get a bigger charge, hence, bigger spark.I think the problem of fuel volitility is possibly the biggest issue, but people have already covered that.[This message has been edited by McFly (edited 19 December 2001).]

I like the pretty lights...

McFlymember
7 posts

Posted:
By the way, I think you can use a coil or transformer with a DC current, you just cant use an ON/OFF switch, it must be able to be tapped: OFF/ON/OFF to get a pulse to go through the coil and come out with a different voltage.I've done this with a car battery, coil and spark plug for a fruit cannon.

I like the pretty lights...

Ajaymember
158 posts

Posted:
"Hi. My name is McFly, and I am a pyromaniac"reminds me of pyromaniacs anonymous

One fine day in the middle of the night,
Two dead men got up to fight,
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew there swords and Shot each other.

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Umm.. why is everyone so worried about the thrust involved with the rockets? If you have two on both sides and they are directly facing each other, wont they cancel each other out? Or.. lol.. Just stick a hole in the middle of your staff, stick another stick in it and watch it spin.. lol.. Course.. it will probably blow itself out as soon as the ignition is finished.My old model rocket igniter only used two AA batteries, and another one I had used one 12V battery. (those rectangular ones) I should dig that out, since I still have it and the model is busted up.P.S. Man.. I thought this topic was dead, and all of a sudden it came to life. ITS A MIRACLE!!! ha ha ha. wink------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

-Xcalibur-member
1 post

Posted:
Forget all the rocket wicks and such why not just trail some towel soaked in kero on the ground and then light it form that you could start with the staff on the ground if ya wanted------------------Posted by -Xcalibur-

Posted by -Xcalibur-

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Because that defeats the whole purpose..The idea is to start your routine/moves and then to have it light up in your hands in the middle of somethign.. more dramatic, and flexible.------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

I am Schwabemember
25 posts

Posted:
Ive been told...and then shown an intresting way to light fires instaneously smile...with a mix of nitrglycerin and rubbing alcohol, about 3perecent nitro, when poured onto on brick, and let to soak in. If it's lit for a few seconds, around 5, and then extinguished, by smothering or something, for several hours, if you just kick(or make a hard contanct with the end of a staff) it will light, Im assuming from a small spark or something within the brick, it lights up with a poof, pretty cool.

RoDuSmember
50 posts

Posted:
mite just be me but wouldn't the modle rocket engines make you poi/staff blast off in every direction? seems kinda dangerous.

couldn't you just use one of those electric lighters and just get the thing out the makes a spark then dip your wick in normal fuel kero/lamp oil then dip a little bit in a fuel with a lower flash point like metho because the little spark would be enought to light the lower flash point fuel and it would light the higher point fuel lamp oil/kero

or a less cool idea would be to use something like sparklers to light your wicks would prolly need a more explosive fuel tho like metho or something

also maybe sparkler powder stuff made into a paste with some sort of fuel like metho would prolly light off a small spark from a lighter spark thingo maybe

*note i didn't read all post word for word sorry if a repeated smething.

Kerinmember
9 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure if this would be too expensive, or impractical, but I remember years ago seeing magnesium metal ribbon set alight, it burned really bright hot and quick......perhaps something like a thin ribbon of the stuff stuck to a staff along its full length with a bit of pva or similar would work, could be kinda interesting to watch.........you'd have to have some way of touching a light or hot spark to it in the middle for a second or two, but from that point it would just swoosh down the staff in both directions to the wicks. nice thing is it burns away completely, so once the ends were lit there'd be no problems with anything trailing or getting caught up.

perhaps with poi it could be lightly tied on with cotton which would also burn away.....maybe for that you could work out a way to use those false thumb lighters to set it off or something?

“life seemed to be filled with things that were just like the ghost orchid. Wonderful to imagine and… easy to fall in love with, but a little fantastic... and fleeting… and out of reach.”

SparkyHVBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
Lots of good ideas here, for a good reusable solution how about capacitive discharge? This is similar to the prinicples used to trigger the flash in a camera. A capacitor holds an electric charge and can discharge it all at once rather than over time as with a battery.
Build a hollow staff that can break down into 3 pieces like the ones shown on this site.
In the handle section you have a bunch of electrolytic capacitors soldered together in series to make a good high capacitance. Hook up 2 or 3 AA batteries in series with a switch and the capacitors to provide the initial charge. Once all the wiring etc is complete I suggest insulating the capacitor terminals with epoxy resin.
Run insulated wires from the positive and negatives on your capacitors to either end of the handle section (put a normally open push button in the positive wire so you can push it from outside of staff) and use small 2 pin insulated plugs to connect to pairs of insulated wires running up the insides of the wick portions of the staff.
At the Wick ends, bring out the insulated wires and strip them back, fasten closely together but not touching using something non conductive and non flamable(this distance will need to be set by experimentation but 0.5mm should be a good start) This is your spark gap.
Charge the capacitor buy turning on the switch and waiting 2-3 mins. Turn off the switch to conserve the batteries. Pushing the button will now cause the capacitors to discharge through the spark gaps. If you wanted a bigger initial spark you would have to use some form step up transformer like a car ignition coil.

One flash and you're ash!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure about this but I heard that disposable camera's have pretty good capaciters in them for the flash. Could you use them?

Also after investigating model rocketry again, I came across this ace stuff - electroflourescent 'paper' which glows quite bright apparently. Model rockets use it to light up the rocket on night launches, but the battery and transformer/switch box is small enough to fit inside a rocket body. It's about the size of a fat staff. The glowing bit comes in strips 16 inches long and wide enough to wrap an 1 inch diameter staff lengthwise. In other words it looks like a cheap option for a glowing staff. I can't wait to get some money.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

SparkyHVBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
Yep, disposable camera capacitors would work well, they tend to be high voltage and high capacity electrolytic types and come with an inverter/rectifier/step-up circuit already built for you on a printed circuit board that takes the 1.5 volts or so from the battery and charges the cap at several hundred volts.
Word of warning - make sure the capacitor is discharged before disassembly by removing the battery (if possible) then triggering the flash until it doesn't work any more. Then once the case is open short out the capacitor terminals with an insulated screwdriver. Safety goggles should be worn as caps have been known to burst at times. Also if using the step up circuit make sure you enclose the pcb, battery and capacitor in an insulated case - wouldn't want any shocks now would we.
The electrolytic capacitors I mentioned in the earlier post are cheap as chips - 5-20c each when bought at your local electronics supply store (Dick Smith, Jaycar, Tandy etc)

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I've lit magnessium ribbon before and it takes ages to get lit, probably cause you're trying to get metal to light looks cool though...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

siliconslavemember
36 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by mcp:
electroflourescent 'paper' which glows quite bright apparently.
EL paper is blooming funkey (tis actually Electro-Luminescent)- and you could quite easily use it for a staff - infact
park sabersuse it to make very very nice lightsabers that light up theres even a darth maul style staff one - the problem is the cost - it ain't cheap. RS stock it in the UK, not too bad for the paper itself but £20 for the inverter. But you could very easily wrap it round the ends of a staff and make some kinda hollow battery pack in the middle (i have a cyberdog t-shirt that uses the paper and it only needs 2AA batterys afaik)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah - electro luminescent is what i meant - 8*) oops.

Ooooo, RS - sweet. I had no idea they would sell it. The inverter is really expensive and sooo tiny. I would need to work out how to make it work first.

and piddletosh, I'm never going near a disposable camera again!

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

SparkyHVBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
Don't stress man! The caps only burst when subjected to extreme stresses - like being hooked up to AC voltages or shorted out directly at the terminals when fully charged - I just don't want anyone to lose an eye when pulling a camera apart is all. Last I checked there was a limit of 2 per customer

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
No way! I could get two inverters, and 16" or 40cm of EL tape for 60 squid, which seems to me even with the extra hassle of self construction, and buying of clear hose, less expensive than 400 dollars. And no import charges, they are a killer.

siliconslavemember
36 posts

Posted:
i'll be very very interested to see it if/when its done, should kick some serious ass - dunno how many inverters you would need, and if you can get a load of different colours and link them together etc - i assume you can cause the cyberdog ts have different colours. The other thing is that it might be worth looking at getting something like this: https://www.theglowcompany.co.uk/acatalog/EL_WIRE_GLOW_WIRE_PRODUCTS.html
, mod it into a staff handle and swap the wire for paper - only thing is i'm not too sure how much paper you could put on something like the "techno flash"

anyhows if you want any help designing/building it i love doing silly projects like this - me LED poi are coming along nicely - just like an epesode of blue peter

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
you can never find sticky back plastic in shops?

Whats up with that?

Page: