Page:
FirePoi-boymember
71 posts

Posted:
I spent 2 months of my summer working in Greece where i picked up my first poi. 20 mins after i finally bought some i met a guy who told me they were crap ones. He said bicycle chains are the best chains to use. I dunno why and I'd like to know before i dismantle my bike. FirePoi-boy

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
personaly I think he is crazy...Bycycle chains are heavy and only bend one way. As long as your chains are smooth and don't get hung up easily when you wrap or mess up, I don't see a problem. I like to use that smooth, chrome plated, individualy welded, twist link, dog chain. It is smooth, shiny, stays clean, and doesn't hang up on my clothes when I wrap and recoil. Thinner the better too.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Neekomember
68 posts

Posted:
Some people also have unusual amounts of hostility towards purchased poi. And I agree, it would be really stupid to use bike chains. My favorite is thin cable, but I also don't incorporate wraps. If I did, would would stick to string or thin chain. But certainly not bicycle chain.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I've said it before, I'll say it agian, and still no one will listen. Medium gauge ball chain is by far the best way to go. -v-

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

WuGgaRoOmember
123 posts

Posted:
dude...that bike chain idea...must be one of the dumbest things ive ever heard...its almost like using 2 sticks while poi-ing...lol...well not really...but ur chain should bend more than one way.. so keep ur bike as it is

Follow Wuggarooism10)Dons't cheateth on thee's significant other9) If thou seest a pig that resembles thee's friend...dont eateth the pig...perhaps it is thee's friend8) If thou talkest shit..thou is a pansy7) Don't buttith into conversations for it will be over thous head6) Dont let stupid comments go unpunished they can only leadest to thous anyurysms5) Dont lie to your friends4) Thou areest what thou arest don't change thou for anyone 3) Masturbation isnt a crime2) When a horse comes up to thou and sayest baaa thou must run!1) Be excellent to eachother

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I'm a cyclist. Bike chains are great...on bikes. Using them for poi would be dumb in many ways. As others said, it basically bends in only one direction, it's very heavy, it would hurt like hell when you hit yourself with it, when it gets tangled it gets *really* tangled...forget it.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

FirePoi-boymember
71 posts

Posted:
I'm just glad i asked before nutting myself.Although i think only bending one way is an advantage. i mean your chains are straight when your doing moves anyway, right??Maybe some light weight alternative would be a good idea? as long as there was a swivel where it meets the handle. and no jaggedy bits.FirePoi-boy

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
For most things the chain is striaght which is why clubs can be a usefull tool in learning. Now, if you want to do wraps of any sort, you will need to have flexibility in the cord.------------------'There is a fist pressing against anyone who thinks something compelling'

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Did you actually SEE him use bike chains? Perhaps he meant chains by which bikes are chained up to fences?Also keep in mind that chains are constantly rotating. Yes, they are mostly straight most of the time but the flexibility allows for the chains to keep spinning. Otherwise you're just doing staff, no?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

shizN0Tmember
184 posts

Posted:
I actually suggest to a friend the other day that we use bike chains. of course we were blazed, and I was joking.but its funny to hear it borught up again smile

I smell something burning.

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Wow what a neat Idea. I'd go out and make a set now the possiabltys are endless to what you could do with a bike chain. Could you imagine going to do a wrap only to have the chain stop and the fireball be suppened in mid air a few feet from your arm then lifting it up and hitting your arm only to see it wrap around this time! You could do some killer stalls with a bike chain! And don't laugh at the bike lock chain eaither I saw a spinner at a party out here that was using chain thick enough to tow a car with. open your eyes guys everything is a sweet idea if you know how to use it.------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I partially agree with Knagi, there are likely lots of advantages of using bike chains, but I woudl say not for a person new to poi, such as the guy who started this thread.Also, lets wait until some crazy person has actually used some (Knagi? Superman? Myst?) before discounting them completely.But in the mean-time.Some Non-judgemental Drawbacks* Links need lots of care and maintenance. Soot, fuel dissolving the grease, slight warping from heat and/or collisons will all make the chain freezup, somtimes only a few links and not evenly spread.*Grease- they will have to be greasey to retain their movement, and it would get all over everything, and possibly catch light too.* Very heavy - If you like heavy that's good, but remember it will hurt more the heavier it is.* Slow, there is a lot of friction in large link chains, making them respond slower whe bend etc.* Swiveling - Santana2 is right in more ways than 1, if it only bends in two directions without swiveling, you will very quickly twist up your finger straps and you'd have to stop or lose some fingers.* Dangerous-may be (quite rightly) classed as a weapon by authorities, as ou could easily kill people with them if you wanted.Some NonJudgemental Advantages.* Weight-you wouldn't need poi heads, and may like the extra weight.* Tangles-I don't think even I (i'm cr** at poi) could get bike chains tangled. They just wouldn't twist around each other.* Wraps- Would be more controlled, as long as done in of the only 2 planes that the chain can move in.* Supply-Should be readily available at any dump!* Dangerous-You could easily kill people with them if you wanted.Charles the Energizer Safety Bunnynewdolbel@hotmail.com------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Charles:Bike chain can easily entangle upon itself. No bike chain is perfectly stiff laterally--there's always some give. This is enough to create a really frustrating tangle that can take over a minute of concentrated fussing to undo--not an option with fire.Also, vis a vis wraps: remember that you'd be wrapping the edges of the side-plates against you. This is not quite a knife-edge, but it would have an unpleasant bite.Regarding swivelling: I'm kind of guessing here, but I think that even if you had swivels mounted at both ends, you could get some very unstable dynamics with bike chain. Imagine the chain wants to bend in a certain direction, but is rotated so that it is bending on the stiff side. It'll bend just so far, and then at some point rotate so that it can bend on its bendy side and "snap"--pent-up bending forces will be relieved all at once and the chain will crumple up. I emphasize, this is just a guess.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
AHHHHHHHHHHHH WHO'S GOT BIKE CHAIN! Found a carrier of chain but it's like huge machine chain. way to large and heavey I just need some bike chain. I'll be tryin around the local bike stores here in a few days. Also need to figure out a handle for it. I've got an idea somewhat like a swinging torch handle with flats sides so I can quickly tell which side is the flexy and which isn't. As for the fire end thinkin about just kinkin up the chain abit and runnin some wire though it to hold it kinked then wrappin it with some shop towels. I will have these smile As for the sides with "bite" you ever do wraps with the fire fly's sold here! Them swivels cut!------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Alllriiiiighhhty then!This thread has been on the board for a while now and while it is full of theory, there's stillno-one posting that they have actually tried bicycle chains.Knagi seemed to be about to go into some cycle stores, Adam and NYC I'm sure may have made some attempts too.Has anyone actually tried it yet?------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Charles, I haven't actually used bicycle chains, but have been mucking around with some chainsaw chains ideas for a while now (I live with a trained professional - don't try this at home kids wink)The main problem is that they are obviously not as flexible/free swining as normal chain or cable. You can do most moves with them, but really not with much fluidity or grace. You also need to over emphasise each movement (i.e., you can't really do moves with your wrists nice and close/tight).All in all, from my experience and experiements, these type of rigid chains leave a lot to be desired. Still working on them though....

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I think Charles is just trying to start a fight. Fine, I'll bite. winkBike chains are stupid. Why would you use a chain that is more difficult just for the challenge? Why not just stick a nail in your foot and try spinning poi that way, that'd be a challenge, no? They're completely rigid in one dimention preventing you from doing a wide range of tricks.Personally, if I saw someone who was using bike chains, I'd kick their ass. In fact, bikes are stupid too. Why don't you just get a job and then buy a car like the rest of the damn planet. Skateboards suck. Rollerblades suck. And motorcycles are only cool if you're so lame that you can't get a girl anyother way. Speaking of girls, when the hell is my ex girlfriend going to get her crap out of my apartment? What's THAT about? Now my MOM wants me to fly out to Wisconsin for Thanksgiving?! I've never been to Wisconsin. I've never met anyone from Wisconsin. Heck, I had to look at a dang map just to SPELL Wisconsin. But I am sure of one thing. Wisconsin sucks. In fact, the whole midwest sucks. Do people actually live there? If so, why? I've never actually been there, but I can't imagine any mathematical, theoretical, or hypothetical way in which it could possibly NOT suck.For those of you too stupid to read complete sentences, I'll just list the things that suck:Bike chains, bikes, skateboards, rollerblades, motorcycles, my ex-girlfriend, Thanksgiving, my mom, Wisconsin, red glowsticks, sparkly poi, people trying to convince me that hemp should be legal because there is some kind of worldwide rope shortage, Altoids, buckwheat, all bumperstickers, people that roll their eyes when I tell them that I teach chemistry, every show on UPN, chat rooms, spelling bees, rich kids who beg for change to look cool, fat free anything, Meg Ryan, pesto sauce, and all of you bastards trying to get onto the George Washington Bridge at 7 in the morning.You happy Charles? Nobody uses bike chains BECAUSE THEY SUCK. Not because they don't post, not because their internet connection is down. It's because they SUCK. Now don't bump this up every other day "just incase someone missed it the first time" and don't go cryin to your momma. Let it go buddy. Let it go. Say it with me now...Bike Chains Suck.See, don't you feel better already?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Well - after such a convincing, and well balanced arguement, I simply have to agree with NYC.Wisconsin sucks. winkJosh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
shockedNYC, have you thought about cutting down on your caffeine intake? wink------------------C@ntus

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
It's one of the funniest posts i've read in ages but still......

Meh

firenomadmember
26 posts

Posted:
If you really want to go hard core, use chainsaw chains!

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
See my post above - report on the use of chainsaw chains.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
NYC, the world isn't all that bad, it couldbe a lot worse...Why what if there were ten of me instead of only one! (the world holds it's breath in shocked terror for a moment).Didn't meant to pick a fight, i just found some of these posts (including my own) all extolling the good and bad without anyone putting practical experience into the fray.But I agree BIKE CHAINS SUCK!However, this might be, that without bike chains, unicycles and penny farthings would be the only bikes used, and that sounds like a world I want to live in...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
heh im definatly makeing a point of trying bike chains, I have like a dozen broken bikes in my garage.

Why is it people are so negative? At the very least it will be fun experimenting. Hello horizontal crazy. Also, you can do wraps, and then turn the non bendy side a quarter turn and suddenly stop it. So picture spinning at high speed, doing a wrap, then the chain suddenly goes rigid. Quite the suprise for the audience.

But this has given me another inspiration. How about bike lock chains? The cheap ones have that crappy combination lock. So lets say you cut the end off two chains and use them as poi with the lock being the handle (yes uncomfortable) and then you lock the things together and turn the dial one click and you have a mini meteor (or a full size meteor if you add links to the chain or find excesivly long one ones)

Also, someone mentioned how it's almost like a knife edge. Now your talking. Sharpen each link carefully with a chainsaw file so it is a knife edge, and then do high speed bare skin wrap combos. Im sure an audience somewhere wants to see a mentally unbalanced performer deliberatly cut his arms and legs down to the bone.

PS-If I the results exceed even my expectations (Im not expecting a whole lot besides "gee wiz it's an upside down stall" then I expect everyone in this thread to wallow in shame.

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
there is some type of chain that they use to take bolts of of tires......kinda like the one size fits all type wrench things....yeah anyways that type of chain would be perfect methinks
but i dunno ill have to try it out
and ppl........keep it constructive....jeebus

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
why not just use a chainsaw chain in that case

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Chainsaw chain is built to cut while being pulled along wood. there are square teeth on the chain (sometimes they have an aggresive angle on them) which when moving at high speed take out a notch of wood with every pass. If you were to swing a chainsaw that is not running and hit someone with the blade, it probably wouldn't cut them, unless you dragged it along them.

So, doing a wrap with a chainsaw blade isn't going to do a whole lot of damage.

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
would you stand there and get wrapped with it?

hell lets just start spinning razorwire, it would probably act similar to spinning cables
EDITED_BY: Lurch (1074809765)

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Lets tie poi strings onto grenade pins and spin them. If you go to fast the pin comes out and you have 5 seconds to clear the blast radius before you die.

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Lets tie poi strings onto grenade pins and spin them. If you go to fast the pin comes out and you have 5 seconds to clear the blast radius before you die.

lol thatd be such a great way to go too......... ubbloco ubbrollsmile ubbloco

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Chironback after 5 years...
35 posts

Posted:
Did anybody ever consider the possibility that the guy might have meant bike cables not "chains"?

....just a thought...

...anyone?...

...Bueller?

Wizard of LED poi !

Page: