Forums > Technical Discussion > diameter of kevlar fire eating wick?

Login/Join to Participate

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
ok, i've been looking around trying to figure out about making some fire eating/trailing wicks out of the thin kevlar cord, my qustion to folks here is what diameter of cord do you prefer? home of poi's cord is 3/8" but dube is 1/8" or 5/8" rope. with all of the info that i have looked through i'm not quite sure what size to settle on. i found a really cheap source of cordage but i want to make sure i'm ordering the right stuff!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
There's a great thread already in circulation called "making trailing/eating wicks" in the Technical discussion.Included is a funny story about NYC making a huge fire-eating stick with several feet of wick! :O Most performers I've seen use a small roll about the size of a cotton ball.Please don't try something to big the first time wink...And as the thread is still current (response in the week at most) , all the info is pretty up to date.Cheers[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 21 September 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
ya, i read that thread but no one mentioned the diameter of fire eating cord. i'm looking into cord rather than the 2" or 1" wick because i found a killer deal on a 500 meter spool of kevlar cord (it works out to be less than a cent per foot!)i just need to figure out the correct diameter before i put in an order that big.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
i'd be wary of a deal *that* good! make sure that it will be absorbant and that it isn't just made to be very strong cord.why don't you ask them to send you a small sample of both then see which one *you* prefer for the wicks.... everything about homemade toys comes down to personal preference...also consider what else you'll be making with your massive wad of kevlar and what thickness would be best for it

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.