Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
DON'T HURT ME! AAAAHok, now, I know all about the coloured flames, k? But i thought it would be ultra spiffy if i could find some place that sold candles with coloured flames, because they'd rock... imagine, strontium flame, black coloured wax... sweeeeeeeet...So... yeah.I mean, it'd be tricky to make these dudes, although you could probably rig up an oil burner to do it. Just gotta get some strontium salt... you can get this from chemists, yeah?

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I posted a while back about adding Boric acid to a chaffing dish fuel can. I still like it. It burns green. I also have a LiCl can as well which burns REALLY red. Not quite a candle, but similar.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
don't you mean a Sterno ?? wink

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
"chaffing dish" *chuckle*sounds painful :P

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

Linkovich SeKioAmember
3 posts

Posted:
I think it could be possible, and i think i might try it (make my own :P) candles are fairly easy to make at home. But anyway, back to the point, i'm gonna try soaking a candle wick in meths and boric acid overnight, and dry it out a couple of times and put it in a candle and see if that works,but this is all in my head, so chances are i'll blow my hand off or something.Oh and, i hope that all you guys in america are alright and your families are ok

belmakarGOLD Member
stranger
6 posts

Posted:
trimethyl borate is actually used in this manner to flame retard cotton. You may just end up with a flame retardant wick... which would be ironic!