AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hi all!I saw the pictures in the galleries and I was pretty impressed.When I decided to try shooting firepoi myself I was totally dissapointed with the result.I have a Canon A1 35mm camera and used an 800 ASA film.Can anyone please tell me what to do to improve the quality of my pictures?I know that it has been discussed before but I don't know if all these match with my camera.Thanks a lot

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
If I had your camera, this is what I'd do:1) Get a tripod. Take all of your photos on a tripod. 2) ANY ASA film will do if you're taking it with the flash. 3) I HIGHLY suggest taking photos with a flash to freeze your subject. People disagree with me but all of their photos are blury and mine are pretty. smile4) Set the exposure for one second to allow for pretty trails.5) Set the F-stop according to your flash specs. If your camera allows different flash options, pick the highest F-stop to allow for the most background to be in focus.6) Pull the trigger when the subject looks the coolest (you can see the face and such.) The shutter will stay open for a second after the flash.I've had a MAJORITY of success using this technique. AFTER you've tried a few shots, take a few without flash, try some with the shutter open longer (on the "Bulb" setting you keep it open as long as you've got your finger on the button.)You can go to a half second too but the streaks aren't as long.The only problem with such a pretty camera as yours is the camera itself may try to overrule what you tell it. Since it's dark out it may do funky things to compensate and such. Also, autofocus may have issues. My camera is an earlier manual model so it does exactly what I tell it to.If you do exactly this and DON'T get nice photos, I'd be really surprised. Let me know and I'll see if we can fix any problems.*** Also, a cool side note, the next time you are watching someone spin, close your eyes for a second. You'll be able to see an afterimage of the streaks on your retna of what a photo WOULD have looked like. Cool, huh?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Put your money where your mouth is, NYC--let's see 'em. smile

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Is this a challenge? winkWell, I've still got the predicament of people not wanting me to post photos that I took AND photos of me were taken by people who weren't me and didn't have a tripod. I know I'm talking trash and I will post soon enough. Maybe next weekend I'll have my dad take a few. Once I've got one that I'm satisfied OF MYSELF I will certainly post.My set up really does work though. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KingPoimember
6 posts

Posted:
I am wondering if anyone can help me. I am interested in photographing poi. I heard that I need a time lapse camera. Where do I get one of these, and how much is it gonna cost me?

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
KingPoi, step 1: Use the Search funciton above (below the two boxes for New Topic and Reply Topic) Search for Photographing Poi. Not only will your question be answered there, but it was practically answered in this thread. As a direct answer, any camera will do. (Note, I didn't say it would do well.)Step 2: What are you looking for when photographing poi? Are you looking to set them on the table and take a picture of them? Are you going to have someone spinning them and take a picture of them then? Are you to be taking day time or night time shots? Are you interested in getting clear shots of the people spinning or just the trails? What is the intention of these pictures? Are they for a website? A movie? A regular photo album?When you search these questions will be answered and you may think of new ones.NYC, I've found that if you're not interested in getting a clear picture of the spinner, then the flash isn't as necessary. And as a personal opinion, I like the shorter trails for fire as they tend to jumble if they are too long. Again, that's IMO. But good tips though.------------------"Except for that Mrs. Lincoln, How did you like the play?"Pyromorph - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hey NYC,Thanx VERY much for your tips.I'll try to do exactly what you tell me and I hope it works.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Here's a photo of me taken without a tripod. With the tripod it would have taken care of all the blurryness. I kinda like the shakyness though...

(I bumped this up to reference the relevant question.)

NYC in NYC

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
hey im like a photo person and NYC is right
another thing you might want to try is about a 2-3
second exposure without a flash
ive done some absolutely amazing pix w\liquid and poi this way
eventually ill be uploading them but they are uncompressed and taken w\ a camera that is 6.1 megapixels
so yeah.......
btw use ISO\ASA 400 film and about f5.6 ish since you have a film camera put it into shutter priority mode that way it adjusts the f-stop automatically
if anybody u know has a good digital camera use it as a test before u shoot film
this way u save money on bad pix

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

cedemember
42 posts

Posted:
yeah i like 2 seconds the best normaly, depending on the move i am trying to capture...the thing with using flash is, that if you use it try to make sure the only thing that is going to show is the person, or else the trails get lost in the background...and if you're not using a flash try to set up some good lighting so your ghost looks good hehe...i love shooting poi, the only prob is i can't shoot myslef and no one i know knows how...soon though

posi vegan straight edge

Firetwirlermember
20 posts

Posted:
I dont know if you have this option on your camera but try to leave the lens open for 1 sec and make it so the flash comes at the end. youll get nice paterns and the person in the middle is totaly clear.(not 3 arms 2 heads and stuff)

good luck anyways and i would love to see some of your pictures

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I prefer the flash at the beginning because then you can trip it when the spinners arms aren't in front of their face. Otherwise you're gambling as to what the spinner will be doing a second from now as that is what will be illuminated.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]