pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
i am going to try to get some pictures this weekend of me spinning some poi with 2 hard wire circles of wick in the shape of an atom on the ends. i think it might give a nice effect. has anyone ever tried this before? i know i am going to need to weight them down pretty good but i think i can figure something out that will work pretty good. any other ideas, some kind of cross might even work on the ends. or star shaped. creative juices are flowing now, i am going to have to try some different designs. have fun all.

anyone got a light?

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
unless you are using a realy slow burning fuel (like lamp oil) I think the design might get overwelmed by the flames. But good luck, I hope it works out, let us know!

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Hell yeah pozee! Real simple quick design. Go grab two kitchen towels. Roll them up lengthwise. Twist some wire on the top end and wrap around acouple times to be sure it won't come free. Then Braid the wire around the towel, twist the towel up as you braid and wrap the other end the same way. The Braided wire will allow you to bend the towel and hold it's form. I'm sure you can figure out how to join the two towels and create a ring at the top to join them. Simply add more towels onto this design. Also reinforce weak sections with a thin wire pole. Also make sure your connection ring it well inforced I'd suggest wiring support wires into a keyring. Then have fun trying to spin 5 pound flaming circles. 1 kitchen towel wick has a huge flame and is so heavey when it's loaded with fuel. I can't imagine how heavy it would be with 2 or more towels per chain. But I am gonna give this a try :P------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Pozee--Two years ago, I saw exactly what you're talking about, using exactly the construction method Knagi described. Very big (10"/25 cm) diameter, heavy wicks.Unfortunately one of them was badly made, and flew off the chain (and into the lake--byebye) when the girl was spinning them out. The other one she kept, and just hung every other wick she could find on the empty chain.As S2 said, you really couldn't see the the shape--it was just a big ball of fire.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

MiSsFrOgmember
187 posts

Posted:
grin grin grin grin grin

Its not easy being green....

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
hey, you know the kevlar rope?try getting a load of that, then instead of making fire whips with just one strand, try braiding three strands into a plat...fire whips? pah, children's toys!

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Bah that kevlar cording would be tiny. I'm sure pozze thinks like me and wants to go the HUGE and HEVEY route grin BIG FIRE.....BIG BURNS.. Watch them wire wraps I finnaly managed to screw up spinning my towel wicks last night and have some sort of knaji on my arm. Need to find someone who can read and see if I've been marked with some kinda important message grin------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC