Page:
Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Ok after 2 weeks of rolling this idea around in my head and checking in with various toy stores. I haven't come up with the answer. How do you build a poi head that holds soapy water and replenishes the bubble ring? Is there mabe some other way of creating a bubble? The closest I've gotten is a small jar with strings glued to the bottem and a sponge in the mouth with an inserted bubble ring. However everytime I run it I come up with the same fault. The water will simply run around the ring and fly off... assuming the water even comes out.. AHHHHH help please?------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Sorry, can't really help, but just wanted to tell you that I really love the thought of bubbles coming out of my poi and love the fact that shiny people like you have such beautiful ideas. Hope someone else will be more helpfull thoughShine on, Knagi !cassandra[This message has been edited by cassandra (edited 07 September 2001).]

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Have you seen the poi that have the tubes just above the wicks that the chains attach to? Maybe something along those lines. The major problem is that to create the inital surface the bubble solution needs to be stretched across the "wand" surface. When we had the battery operated on it opened and closed. The string ones had these little slide bars you could press down to collapse the string and then pull it tight. Perhaps there is a way to fill a tube (or staff) with solution and have a drip to go down the collpased rope. I don't know but it is ideas to kick about.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
That is such a good idea..What i have done when i wanted a "Bubbley" effect is:Take some glowsticks and make a casing for them out of bubble wrapp (the big stuff) it helps if you can sort of make it roundish looking when you spin with them it give you an "orb" like think.. under a strobe it looks like bubbles in a way..blue glow sticks and white glow sticks look better than the warmer colors though.------------------A Faeries Heart Beats Fierce and Free!!!!!

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hi Knagi. I had this thought about 1.5 years ago and am still looking for an inexpensive solution.The expensive solution are "bubble guns", little motorized toys/guns/etc that emitt a stream of bubblef for up tohalf an hour. Unfortunately they are really expensive, and break really easily (ie smashing together and into the ground). Also, I did swing one around on a string and it just stoped working. Maybe the centrifugal force messing up the insides...I've toyed with lots of cheaper, hardier ideas, and the most feasable seems to be a wind-powered fan with little circles or holes on the end of each blade for the bubble liquid to stick to and then blow out of. Wind powered because the movement will power them.But getting the bubble liquid continously onto the holes seems very difficult, and certainly impossible with the ways I've tried.Had moderate success with a stationary model, were a very thin tube of bubble liquid pulls itself along towrds an exit hole (no bubbles, but liquid movement was good). In this case i had a tiny fan that brushed the exit and pulled liquid out by contact. The rest of the bubble liquid is then pulled closer to the exit point. Note, this needs a combination of a thin tube and thick liquid, and is merely capillery action in action, with a little push with the vacumn effect.The problems i've encountered is combining the bubble creating system with the mixture delivery system and haven't had any luck yet.But think how cool it would be to see a girl doing poi who was constantly surrounded by little shiny bubbles.I'd thought about patenting the idea, but as I've had no luck whatsoever, I've had nothing to patent, maybe together, all the HoPer's can come up with a solution...Peace luv and mungbeans...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 07 September 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
I haven't spent much time on this yet, but it seems that your best bet would be to have some sort of inverted bubble blower.Just of the top of my head: | string | | | O soapy bubble hole U soapy solution containerthe problem with this simple design is how to get solution onto the bubble part. I guess if you had some sort of wind powered fan for the bubbles that spun as you spun the poi, and diped into the solution in the cup, you could get some bubbles going. It needs alot of work, but it's a start.If I can come up with anything better I'll post that as well.------------------'There is a fist pressing against anyone who thinks something compelling'

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

crispyxmember
53 posts

Posted:
If you attach the solution container higher up the string or chain with some sort of elastic, surgical tubing, rubber bands, etc depending on what you use for the container just tight enough for the ring to be in it when the poi are still or moving slowley then it would strech past the ring as you spin. Re-dipping would just take slowing down a bit, maybe a pause or slow turn. [This message has been edited by crispyx (edited 07 September 2001).]

How is it ever possible to feel safe and secure in a world in which everyone dies?

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Keep the idea's comming I'm starting to form a design. Have you ever seen the HUGE bubble makers. With the drawstring. What if you connected a second line to the poi head. set it to a certain distance so everytime you extend whatever it's attached to. It would pull the string taunt at the bottem and into a wet sponge. Now the question that comes up is. Are the strings on the giant bubble makers a special string or would just a length of nylon cord hold the bubble open? The string would have be run threw an eyelet inside the sponge befor it headed back up the chains. Might need to figure out someway to attach a small sinker to the bubble string to pull it back open. Or it could have enough weight on it's own to reopen after the extention. A bubble formed on such a surface might not be stable enough to spin even at the slowest speeds. I thought about the propeller idea aswell. I don't think there would be anyway to pass a blade into somewhere that ever water couldn't come out.. And if there was it'd be damn messy grinNever really conserded myself a shiney happy person befor Thanks Cass grin Charles I'm not a girl... I just thought it would be neat to see my moves echo across a field in bubbles. After watching the endless trails of them all the hippys were making.Hehe this so so gonna work. If I can work out all the details of a forced-air convention fire ring. A couple of watery poi heads shouldn't be a match. Btw Pele I never got the chance to test out my ring. Someone stole alot of my gear at that hippyfest. I'll try and rebuild it for PDF. I settled on a refined design of the idea's you gave me and not that raging inferno idea of my pyro friend.------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
Sure this is a top idea!a german company called pustelfix manufactures a bubble plane that you swing round on a string, the propellor spins round turning a rotary bubble wand into a juice resivoir( the bubble juice stays in 'cos of centrifugal force).Basically you whirl it round your head and it leaves a trail of bubbles behind it - nice!might be tricky to do 2 cos its not that small and you need a good length of string to get working well.But... they also manufacture small hand cranked bubble machines (plastic about the size of 2 video tapes) which make CLOUDS of bubbles - Awsome! I cant even begin to tell you how good fire poi look surrounded by thousands of bubbles floating around reflecting the dancing flames. check it.Keep up the good work - innovate,create and intensify!love Axis.

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Humm a propeller wheel mounted above the soultion. Interseting. Do you have a web page for them?

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
I remember seeing some bubble skipping ropes somewhere. Maybe there are some ideas in them that you could scavenge to make a bubble staff. I think a bubble staff would be the easier thing to make, because you have more room for your equipment. And then if the bubble staff works (that is, if someone hasnt already built one), we can adapt it to poi.

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
until then, you could just dip chains into solution... it would work for a little while...

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
I don't have a URL, that was just off the top of my head.On further thought, a cup of solution might be prone to spilling, perhaps saturated sponges would be a better idea. Also if the fan was electronic it would work regardless of the direction the poi was spinning in (if it twisted or something and the blades were paralell to the direction of the swining).

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
It's true that an electric fan would work no matter which direction it was facing, but if the blades were parallel to the direction of the swinging, the "bubble holes" would be too, so they wouldn't work would they? I'm not an expert in these things so feel free to prove me wrong.

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Until one of us figures out a design no one is an expert on this grin I wanna see something come together that doesn't need to be re-dipped every 1/2 revolution. I'm going out to re-supply my gear tommarow maybe I'll pick up the stuff to begin testing some theorys.

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
Sorry don't have a web page for the Pustelfix Bubble Planes, but I got mine from Butterfingers (UK juggling wholesalers). You can probably find a page for them!You can also buy the bubble machines, the amazing bubble thing (huge bubbles) and the unbelieveable bubble book (great for research into all things bubblicious(I think its published by Klutz) from them.Hey....I discovered if you inhale helium from a balloon and then blow bubbles with a wand .... the bubbles go up(as well as your voice going squeaky).Has anyone else tried the bubbles/fire combination i mentioned earlier?love Axis

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
I found a design for a wind powered bubble maker for kites. I was thinking maybe someone could modify it for high speed. Since you would be spinning it on the end of a poi leash you could make it smaller because you don't have to rely on natural wind. I believe the original design was for a kite only moving in 15 mph wind.Here is the site that I got the design from.https://anthony.kitelife.com/bubbles/mark2/------------------Blessings to all, Peter "There is a rhythm that unites us with the natural world. The more we learnto feel that rhythm and get it into the mainstream of our lives, thestronger can be our spirit."--- Robert Rodale

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
Sounds cool. I'm thinking that I'd like to attach a picture of my idea, but as I can't here goes...If you have a half enclosed container (like a cup/half a ball) full of soapy liquid, hanging from the open end, then when it spins it won't spill (well, not much if you don't fill it too much).Anyhow, if you attach a small windmill sail (like those little ones kids get on a stick at a fair, do you follow?) at an angle (easier to attach) so that it is partially submerged in the liquid. Ok, punch holes in the blades of the windmill sail so that they rotate through the liquid in the cup as they spin, therefore re-covering the holes each time. Now all you have to do is to attach them to the end of your poi/strings and twirl away. It should work, I think!Here's my attempt at the picture:(ignore the dots, it was the only way to get the lines in the right places!)....¦ ....¦....¦....¦/ ¦../..¦ ¦___¦You could attach the container to your strings by a bar across the top, and the windmill could be attached there aswell I suppose. Actually I guess the sail doesn't need to be at an angle then, just mount it on the bar.If you want bubbles whatever direction you spin you could just mount an extra windmill sail at right angles!Anyhow, just some random thoughts, what do you think?Problem now is, I want to make some![This message has been edited by Tom (edited 10 September 2001).][This message has been edited by Tom (edited 10 September 2001).]

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
This is a plea for help from sydney siders

Does anyone know of anywhere in Sydney that I could get a bubble gun, bubble plane, or any type of thing that creates a continuous stream of bubbles?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreaciated.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
"Looking for a bubble gun in Sydney"?

I'm not in Syndey, but you shoiuld be able to hire bubble machines from most party hire companies. Give a few a call and see what they have on offer...

Failing that there's this online bubble gun

Oh, and let everyone know what you want it for, there might be other solutions we can all come up with.

That's enough from me, I'll leave it up to the sydney people now...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Thanks Charles - the online on is exactly what I'm looking for in Sydney. I don't want to hire a bubble making machine - I'm after an actual bubble gun to be used as a gun that shoots bubbles instead of bullets

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
If you ever get this going put UV bubble solution in it and get some black light going and you have a pretty crazy contraption.

Edgemember
3 posts

Posted:
im a physicist, please dont tell anyone. The only way your going to make bubbles without some sort of machine, is if the loop that makes the bubbles is at a right angle to the string. If not the centrifuge will make the spread of bubble liquid along the ring uneven, not allowing bubbles to form. The fact that there is centrifuge should forvce bubbles out, if you could keep the wick soaked. The best way would be to have as ring made out of soap, with a spong or something up the string. The water would come out the sponge and flow onto the loop, keeping it moist.

i sounded really sad then, didnt i

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
I was at a party once where they had just uv bubbles, strobes and smoke. That was amazing...

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

Hecatonchiresmember
45 posts

Posted:
This link has a close up picture of the bubble plane. From what i can see of the product:

The 3-blade propellor rotates from wind force. This spins a shaft that has three bubble wands (the little hoop on a stick] that are connected in an inverted Y to the propellor blades - I'm assuming so wind can pass through gap between propellor blade onto bubble wand.

As the bubble wands rotate, they dip the circle bit into a bubble liquid reservoir and then come back up to have wind blown through it. The bubble liquid is held in by centrifigal force.

Practice would be required to get plane moving at the right speed to blow the best bubbles.

The plane shape, with wings and tail, would keep the propellor facing front. Would make it a bit harder to make some turns, and size of the plane would inhibit some moves. But it would _look_ amazing if you could pull off two of them. Especially twirling in the middle of a bunch of other spinners.

--Luke

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
re: UV bubble solution. Use blue laundry soap, diluted just a bit.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Ages ago I saw a sight that sold lots of different bubble solutions, from glittery ones to glow in the dark

*desparately scrabbles around the net*

this would be it - juggleart look under other stuff, then bubbles and balloons

[ 01. March 2003, 11:52: Message edited by: Rozi ]

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Soooo after almost three years in the bottom of the thread barrel ...

Has anybody found Bubble Poi?

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

Miranda (mewcat)BRONZE Member
queen of all the hipsters
150 posts

Posted:
Wow, those would be so, so cool. I want...

On a similar note, does anyone have a good bubble machine they could recommend (for parties and general entertainment at home rather than a club or anything, so doesn't need to be too plush.) I've been looking around but have no idea which are good and which hopeless! Thanks.

to live at all is miracle enough

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
I recommend the early learning centre one, I bought one for FNF and it was amazing! Plus its really nice colours instead of just the boring ones you can buy. I checked on the website and they have stopped doing it - i guess this is just over the xmas period tho. xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

Miranda (mewcat)BRONZE Member
queen of all the hipsters
150 posts

Posted:
Thanks, Vixen!

to live at all is miracle enough

Page: