Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
The tails on my UV poi totally piss me off big time, but apparently they look much much better than my practice chains... they get knotted and sometimes they get dirty and they tangle really badly and they make it more difficult to do some of the moves, notably the butterfly variations... and the ends fray blushP oh and of course they make wraps look really messy... plus they can tie you up when you're doing double wraps or whatever, grrr.... which makes you look REALLY dumb...any thoughts on poi tails? alternatives to them, or ideas for reducing these problems?I'm thinking of making a set of really short (like 15cm) poi and putting 30cm long tails on them, so when you spin them you'd get really long tails, and a complete circle when you're doing weaves... ultra short ones are pretty fun but limit the moves you can do.------------------"O! for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention." - William ShakespeareCheck out my Online Gallery!ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I roll mine and then wrap them tightly in rubber bands for when I am working on new things. When I want to try to guage things like proximity to body and angle I use them out, or when I am at casual play, not only for looks but because they really do help with getting precision down. My suggestion, rubber bands! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

beakermember
54 posts

Posted:
Yep I hear ya blackbird the tails are a real pain I thought about cutting them off at one point, But then they wouldnt look so good when spinning. I guess it just helps me become more patient grin

C'mon baby light my fire

Backpacker2kmember
30 posts

Posted:
Tails are cool....although they do alienate some of the more complicated moves. After analysing myself with both fire and tail Poi, I've found that the moves from each type come off totally different from each other... I find that gracefulness is the key to the tails...nice, slow and methodic, mixed in with a bit of circular speed. The fire and 'practice' poi enables a greater degree of body movement, especially in the arms and wrists.But at the end of a cliched day....yeah....the tails really do piss you off.....sometimes.On another note....WHADDA WEEKEND!!!!* One helluva successful fire show* England 5 - 1 Germany... jaw = drop* Bradford 2 - 3 Burnley....up the clarets!* and finally....4 big biftas nicely rolled up in front of me and ready to smokeGame OnDan!

ABCDEFG...HIJKLMNOP...QRSTU and V..WXY and Zeeeee.Hey everybody look at me...now I know my ABC!

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I love tails, mine are 1.5m to 2m in length, and I have 4 on each poi head (from 1cm to 4cm in width). They are made from satin ribbon. To stop the ends fraying, I have hemmed the ribbon. I also experimented for a while til I found a good weight to attach the ribbons to. I also agree with Dan, that the key to using them, and not getting frustrated, is to slow it down, right down. Even slower still. And then even a bit slower still.ade {and hey Dan - the aussies won the tri nations cup, we also won the junior mens hockey cup, North Queensland didn't get the wooden spoon, what more could a good aussie want? wink )[This message has been edited by Ade (edited 03 September 2001).]

bbrittaneePoi + Hoop
21 posts

Posted:
My first poi set is a set with the removable tails.
Ordered from this site. Ive had them for about two weeks now.
And yeeeah when i first started i had to learn with them off . And now that i know some tricks, its cool to put them on to see the formation. but yaah they too tangle and mine are really noisy, they are some weird material. And they dont seem to fly out straight they turn and twist around and it just doesnt look neat. I have yet to see them under black light, im excited to though.

I kinda regretted getting this type to learn with ..
I now wish i would have got the LED Balls. But, i heard these were good to learn with .. So im dealing with it .
I like them though none the less. Ive had a good time learning with them on a whole.

-- When we communicate with one another and we feel that we have connected and we think we’re understood.. i think we have a feeling of almost spiritual communion…
I think it’s what we live for ♥

DrexFactorGOLD Member
Defeats the purpose
73 posts

Posted:
In my experience tails are great for performing either outdoors or in well-lit rooms where it's just you on stage. They fill up space MUCH better than any type of glow head during the day and allow people to still have an idea of what your trails look like.

That said, it took the better part of a year for me to be able to do most of the tricks I knew with tails and not get tangled. If your planes are at all wobbly, you'll know about it very quickly.

In the grand scheme, I never practice with them but kids love them and they look too beautiful in the daytime to stop using entirely. I was lucky enough to have a friend who was willing to sew me a set that could fit over the heads of a set of practice poi I already had so I didn't have to get any new equipment. If they're your only set, wrapping them down with rubber bands sounds like a great solution till you've got all your tricks clean.

Haven't heard or experienced anything pro or con with shorter tails.

Peace,
Drex

Peace,
Drex

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
The longer the tails the harder I find it is to spin well. A friend has some poi with tails long enough that I keep stepping on them....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland