Forums > Technical Discussion > Making trailing/eating wicks...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'm JUST starting to get into eating and trailing and I'd like to make my own wicks. I've searched through many designs but am looking for a design with as LITTLE metal on the outside as possible. Many of the designs I've seen are wrapped in some kind of metal wire which burns skin when you trail. I COULD do a really small staff wick construction with two screws but I'm not sure that'd work. Also, what should I use as handle? Maybe I'll go browse my local kitchen supply store for a spatula/skewer but I don't know how to secure the wick to that. I know that Pere and Pele use Elmers but even after careful explanation I still don't get it. Can I JUST use elmers to roll 1' of wick around something?Any help/other suggestions would be great!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
No Melissa, I wouldn't recommend anyone stick anything important to them in a dish of flaming white gas! A bowl of flaming alcohol usually does the trick...though I prefer to dip and then light, but that is sheerly personal preference!Oh, now you play with me NYC....I see how you are! ::doing that whole drama hand to forehead thingy::------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 17 November 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

*Hot Pok*member
4 posts

Posted:
Just wondering has any try a neat symple little trick called Nacked Flame.All you do is hold two eating sticks in one hand R or L. With the hand not holding the sticks light the top bud blow out the match or laghter and with a wave motion going down pool a small amount of fuel and flame from the wick in the cup of your hand and misticly light the other stick. If you wrap a match in some flint and pull out of the flint it will light. get this part of the trick down and you can make the audance thik you pulled a lit match from your ass!

*Hot Pok*member
4 posts

Posted:
Also can some one try and explane to me how to trail Proply so i dont end up with skin grafts.Just the dos and donts and if somone could also give me some mad ideas for tricks EAT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
tonight i gave fire trailing another shot, i must say it certainly gets easier with practice! i was able to make nice long trails up my legs and arms with no difficulty. it was a wonderfully smooth transition from unlit to lit to transfer to extinguish. having multiples ready to go definatly helps. I did trailing, pooling and that trick where you trail and then light your next torch off your skin and transfer onto another body area.The set of torches that i used tonight had shorter and thicker metal for the torch rods and i found that makes quite a bit of difference as far as control over how much pressure to use on your skin (the current torches that i am using are about 7 inches long and have a 2 inch long by 1 inch wide towel wicks) for construction i followed folks advice and used towel that was squished between the folded back end of the rod and then wrapped the towel around it with glue so no metal was exposed. the torches are a bit too big to comfortably do fire eating with but they had a nice burn to them. i never got a chance to perform at my school, instead i went up an observatory and looked at the stars. probally for the best though because the security guards here freaked out at the thought of me doing a dinky candle dance, i can only imagine how they would react if they saw my regular form of fire dancing....one last quicky pondering, what is the largest torch that you have used or seen to do fire transfer? i've heard of staff being (i think....) but do people use any big toys like fireswords (no metal exposed kind) to do transfer?[This message has been edited by melissa (edited 10 December 2001).]

Page: