Forums > Social Chat > A heavy soft learner poi set?

Login/Join to Participate

Tlightmember
189 posts

Posted:
I thought i might as well learn poi as i love staff so much. So i went and made a tennis ball one. I found it was soooooo slow. Is there a soft heavy learner poi set which you can make easy?

I hope you realize how pissed I am.

WuGgaRoOmember
123 posts

Posted:
this is an idea...not an exact answer...but...perhaps u can get fishing sinkers...and put them in rolled up socks...i think it should work...if not...just use glowsticks...thats what i use now..and what im prolly gonna use for a while...use the 6" ones...the 4" i find way too light..and they make the move more complicated than it is...since u gotta work harder at spinning...hope this helps...

Follow Wuggarooism10)Dons't cheateth on thee's significant other9) If thou seest a pig that resembles thee's friend...dont eateth the pig...perhaps it is thee's friend8) If thou talkest shit..thou is a pansy7) Don't buttith into conversations for it will be over thous head6) Dont let stupid comments go unpunished they can only leadest to thous anyurysms5) Dont lie to your friends4) Thou areest what thou arest don't change thou for anyone 3) Masturbation isnt a crime2) When a horse comes up to thou and sayest baaa thou must run!1) Be excellent to eachother

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Sinkers are a bad idea. This is the voice of experience speaking. I've tried it with very extensive foam padding. Still hurts. Seems to be something about having a solid core.Beanbags are good practice heads. Beanie babies are more entertaining. Just wrap some baling wire around their necks to create an attachment point.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

WuGgaRoOmember
123 posts

Posted:
good call adam...like i said..i never tried it...it was simply an idea...

Follow Wuggarooism10)Dons't cheateth on thee's significant other9) If thou seest a pig that resembles thee's friend...dont eateth the pig...perhaps it is thee's friend8) If thou talkest shit..thou is a pansy7) Don't buttith into conversations for it will be over thous head6) Dont let stupid comments go unpunished they can only leadest to thous anyurysms5) Dont lie to your friends4) Thou areest what thou arest don't change thou for anyone 3) Masturbation isnt a crime2) When a horse comes up to thou and sayest baaa thou must run!1) Be excellent to eachother

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
ya, i have found the tennis balls to be way way too light for me. so, i made a different sytle of practice poi. they're heavier, they're cheap, they're simple, and don't hurt when ya wack yourself! yay! ok basic ingredients:2 flat bicycle tire tubes6-8 keychain links2 deep sea fishing swivelsset of handlesa bunch of rubber bands2 1/4"x8" ribbons2 shoe laces, or 2 chains, or 2 cables2 of the screw tight links or clips ok, first go to a bike shop and pick up a pair of old flat bicycle tube tires. next, slice them in half lengthwise so they are about three to four inches wide by about 24"+ long. clean off the wide powder gunk. next, take some sissors and begin to cut the edge of the tire half way. the long part of the tire should have a solid strip at the base so that all of the little cuts have a common foundation. next, roll the tire and it will begin to resemble a tennis birdie or a flower. the cut ends will flare out while the solid side remains tight. next wrap the rubber bands around the solid base. ok, now tie a keychain link to the end of the ribbon. thread the ribbon through the hole in the center of the wrapped tire. if it's tough use a paperclip unfolded so that it acts like a big needle. tie the next keychain tight to the top of the tire bunch. ok here you use the rope, swivel, screw link,and grips just like the regular fire poi. wallah! for extra pretty factor tie ribbons onto the base keychain, attatch glowsticks, tie on glowin the dark squid, or any other random things that strike your fancy. i like that i can change the poi head around real easy and the finished product looks like a radioactive alien jellyfish. hope this design helps!-melissa (a little background on the design,i got this idea from a fellow i met at a rave. he had a set alot like the ones that i made but he aquired his from a person he met in thailand)

Rhiannamember
12 posts

Posted:
One of the sets of 'experimental' pois I made was to buy two solid rubber (I think thats the material) and drill a hole straight through. It does take a little bit of time and you tend to get rubber all over the place. Believe me they are quite weighty, go faster, hit harder, bounce off body faster. They are very different from my tennis ball ones. Also to make them look cooler I plaited 3 thin ribbons together to make the string, for a cheap job they don't look too bad.

Twirl Girlmember
14 posts

Posted:
I made my set out of fishing sinkers wrapped in layers of spongy material, theyre not too hard, I suppose Im used to them though! The reason I used fishing sinkers was because I wanted them to weigh as much as my fire poi (about 250-300g). I went all out though, after covering them in the spongy stuff, I sewed orange fur covers over them and gave them 2 1 meter tails each (purple and orange). How much do poi made with tennis bally weigh anyway? I know glowsticks only weigh a little. ------------------Lisa

Lisa

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
the thingyou sleep on when out in the nature is good soft material I think. Just to wrap round anything with the right weight, it doesnt hurt.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
the thingyou sleep on when out in the nature is good soft material I think. Just to wrap round anything with the right weight, it doesnt hurt.

Katiemember

Posted:
another idea- if you cut the tennis balls open, you can insert heavier material such as small stones or weights wrapped into socks or soemthing to fill up the empty space, and then you can superglue the tennis balls shut. as long as the weight is even on each side it should work. just don't superglue your hand to it.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I've found that there is quite a link between "weight" and "length" (radial torque, centripital force, yadayadayada...)Usually if one is off you can alter the other to where it "feels" closer to what you're used to. I've been doing fire for a while now and whenever I try to switch back to glowsticks it takes a while to adjust. I usually attach more than one stick but my kevlar wicks are so heavy that it's still not enough to feel the same. Then I tried REALLY long strings with glowsticks and it actually felt better. I had more control to change pace and direction like I do with fire wicks.Long story short: If you can't adjust the weight and you want a "heavier" feel, try longer strings. If you want a "lighter" feel, try shorter strings.Just a thought.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

GoaFiremember
71 posts

Posted:
try using kuwido...bean bags on string...already made for you...they are a lil heavier than poi but not much..not too expensive eithergoafire

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
I wonder if bubble wrap would make a good paddding. Has anyone tried it?

WuGgaRoOmember
123 posts

Posted:
i dont think itll be too good..cuz once it hits u...it might pop..then its just like a thing peice of plastic...

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
I will tell you how to have your cake and eat it too - which is always better then just having cake smileJosh and I both have a pair of fire-poi each. When we went overseas we wanted to have both indoor UV-poi and fire-poi, but couldn't afford the space in our packs....so..I made up some funky little poi covers out of UV fleece and UV fur. They are just little material bags lined with heavy black material on the inside and UV material on the outside. I made them with a tie at the top, so they slip over your poi and tie up just at the first loop of the chain. Since they are made out of fur (well mine are - purple too smile) they are nice and slow, when you hit yourself it doesn't hurt - much.It also helps you because you are actually practicing with your fire-poi. I have found that since they are heavier with the covers then without, when you spin fire, you are a lot more fluid and free.That's just a suggestion on how to get all your poi-toys in the one handy package. Enjoy smileLove and Light------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
if you would like to see what my practice poi look like (see the recipe above) email me at firefanmadame@yahoo.com-melissa