Forums > Technical Discussion > My next project... Nunchaku!

Login/Join to Participate

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
ahhh, glowstick nunchucks...more flexibility that poi? you can do hand spins and change grips - no fire, sure, but for you glowstickers out there it's an idea, no?and might give you some ideas for wraps and such for poi... anyway here's someones site with clips for nunchaku moves https://members.tripod.com/~PGresh/clips.htm

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

crispyxmember
53 posts

Posted:
You can do fire chucks, that's actually one of the new props I'm starting to work with. I did learn that white gas isn't a good choice for this prop but other than that it hasn't been too bad to work with.

How is it ever possible to feel safe and secure in a world in which everyone dies?

beakermember
54 posts

Posted:
I have used nunchucks a friend of mine has some foam covered practice ones. I also used a trisectional staff made of wood that was cool but real painful when you hit yourself.good luck with them smile

C'mon baby light my fire

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
fire... chucks? er... how?Is the fire only on the end bits? that would work, but still be hot for the end you are holding, surely?Explain!!btw trisectional staff.... might as well do meteors? Just a thought.

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
yeah, I wouldent mind a go at them, saw them ata french rave, burny ends and held in the middle, the chucks flipped ovr in the grip, looked very dificult, can see why white gaz would be a prob ;-)

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hi, What you call nunchukas i call Twisters. Nunchukas are illegal and can not be used in public places without a license, Twisters are not and you can, well in the u.k you can i have never had any problems in about 18 years of using them outdoors.yes they are held at the end nearest to the cord and no further down the shaft than a third. and yes they do get extreamly hot, as they are made from metal tubing as i have found this to be the best so far as i dont have finances to improve the design. you need at least 7 pairs, so each set has time to cool down. this will help you from burning your hands, which take my word is extreamly painful, and which can dissable your hand for weeks, supriseingly the burns dont really come from the flames but the heat generated from them. even so the flame itself is dangerous because it is so close to the body.Burning cattaracts {eyes} burning nasel and mouth by inhaling at wrong time.more of a chance of setting yourself alightforget about keeping the hairs on your forearms Use these as Nunchukas and you will limit yourself to the moves that can be acheived and you will burn yourself alot more as they have to nearly be constantily movingwould definatly recoremend using Glowstick ones i did for eight years before using fire , i still do now and then, the only reason i use fire mostly now. is fire is a lot cheaper than Glowsticks but i do prefer Glowsticks as i can do more moves and theres no fumes.I do what i do, not for the visual effect for others, but what it does for me. David ------------------Twist for the joy of it.

Neekomember
68 posts

Posted:
I have a friend named Damien Romero who is incredible with nunchuks (he has been swinging them for 25 yrs.) He does it strictly as a performance art as opposed to the martial art aspect of them. If anyone serious about nunchuks would like some more info, feel free to e-mail him at thefreestylist@hotmail.com

eyemonkeymember
22 posts

Posted:
i saw a guy do a double fire nunchuck routine in a show in edinburgh this year. I think the show was called "embryonic dreams" or something. The show was a bit boring when they weren't doing and spinning or contact juggling but the spinning was very good.

peace out,EyEMonKeY

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I'm glad I did a search on this first... winkAnyways, I was thinking about fire chucks, and I wasn't sure if anybody had done it befor (but I see they have)...so, here is what I have come up with...1. use wood nunchucks, surprisingly wood isn't nearly as delicate as people think, I have a friend who uses wooded staff with small wicks at the ends, and they work great and apparently last a long, long time. I think the small wicks would be appropriate with nunchucks, because the fire is so close to the skin. And wood doesn't conduct the heat nearly as fast as metal, so you don't get burned from the handgrip... 2. use leather bracers on your forearms, that should allow you to keep most of your forearm hair.3. I think a slow burning fuel (not a big flame) like liquid parafin, would be best, so there isn't a hugh flame coming off all at once. SO...., I am going to make a pair as soon as I can. you see, I was wanting to submit a video for the next competition using them like poi, and there seems to be a craving in my mind for some fire chucks...! so, I guess I'm going to the hardware store this afternoon!!! grin grin grin

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
i have made something very close to chucks for fire i posted on this a while back i use only white gas i adore the big flame i get ...as far as the forearm hair that does get smoked from time to time even knowing i have been using these for a long time and chucks for even longer heres is a look at them in action if your interestedhttps://www.zyworld.com/darkrizen/fire.htm ------------------I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
You can buy professionally made glochucks.www.wwmas.com click on catalog then on weapons then on nunchucks[This message has been edited by SickpuPpy (edited 14 March 2002).]

Jesus helps me trick people.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I made a pair of glow chucks (ok, well, two pair...) anyways, I went to the hardware store and bought some 3/4 inch semi-transparent hot water pipe (it might be ABS?) it is slightly flexible and won't shatter (PVC pipe is not transparent and will shatter into a million peices) Then I cut off two peices (about one foot long). Assuming the two pipes are each one foot long, you will need a peice of dog chain that is the combined length of the pipes plus one glow stick plus one inch. Then you attach the chain to one glow stick, drop the chain through both the pipes (and insert the glowstick into the pipe, it should stop when there is about half an inch of glowstick sticking out of the pipe) and attach the second glowstick to the chain that is hanging out the end of the second pipe (the chain should hang out by about one inch, just enough slack to attach the glowstick). Then you are ready to play!!! The glow sticks fit inside the pipe but don't go in past the base of the glow stick (because the bases always flair out slightly) and the chain passes through the middle of the pipes, and the length of chain in the middle comes from when the second glowstick is put into it's pipe. (forgot to mention, I attach the glowsticks using a chain link cut from some different chain, I just cut it in the middle of the link, and twist it open with pliers and attach the glowsticks by hooking them and twisting the link back to normal)Does this decription make sence? They are fun to play with, but only the ends glow (about half the chuck), which is OK if you hold then in the middle or close to the chain. they do make a little noise from the chain hitting the inside of the pipe, but if that annoys you you can wrap the part of the chain that is inside the pipe with duck tape or electrical tape, or whatever flexible/soft tape you have. They look REALY COOL when somebody works them in a dark room.Hope this description helps... grin Ok, I still haven't made the fire nunchucks, guess I'll have to go back to the hardware store today, I'm gona have fun tonight!!! grinP.S.just be sure to use glowsticks with a strong attachment point, otherwise the chucks won't last long durring extream use...!Happy chucking,Daniel[This message has been edited by santanatwo (edited 15 March 2002).]

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Oh, yea.... I have found that a green stick on one end and a orange on the other end are the best looking color combination, and give the best contrast to accentuate grip changes, but you can use your own color combinations...!

Gabrielmember
13 posts

Posted:
I started with doing nunchucks, then found swinging fire was more legal in Massicusets than padded chucks were. When I did glow chucks I'd just use the big-assed 1 ft long or 16" sticks that you can find at some glow stick sites. REEEALLY Bright, and while I've toyed with the flaming chucks, or the flaming 3 secion staff idea...um...I'll give it some time. Since most of the moves where you swich grips and stuff you choke the hilt up by the chain I figure that you could even have a longer than normal shaft for the 'chuck. Like 20" maybe? Fun getting 2 'chucks going, 4 flames...with grip switches over the back of the hands to keep em all in motion? Hum...Such thoughts are dangerious... pretty dangerious... dangeriously pretty?------------------I like puppies.

How much junk could a ninja chuck if a ninja could chuck junk with nunchucks?

pulse waveBRONZE Member
10 posts

Posted:
This is too cool! I just found this site, and I love it. I have never done poi or fire twirling of any sort b-4. But I admire the art. I have though, been playing with "chucks" for about 2 years and have some glostick ones as well. Have never seen anyone else do em'. I have gotten to the point where I can do mid-air releases with em' in and out of the wrist rolls. Would love to talk to anyone who finds these fun.Peace.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
OK, so I whiped up some fire chucks the other day....only problem is they are way to short and thick and heavy....but they do work. It is funny though, I never realized how often the end of the chuck got close to my forearm...or touched it, until I lit it on fire, suddenly you are VERY conciouse as to how close your arms are to the end of the chuck and where you are gripping it....

I guess I will have to make some longer ones (16-18 inches long?), out of thinner wood (maybe 1/2-3/4 inch?) I'll keep you all updated.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
ps.

pulsewave,
our E-Mail adresses tend to be at the top of the posting, so if you want to talk to somebody, just click on the icon at the top of their post (profile?)

qwertycoderBRONZE Member
43 posts

Posted:
16 to 18 inches is loong.... i use 12 inchers and 14 inchers that i made from metal pipes and a wooden dowel core. with the wooden core the metal doesnt heat up that much, ive been able to grab it by the wick or even the metal right below.