N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Ok so I did the search function and I used a bunch of different phrasings and I reworded what I needed to find like three times but with no luck....So please don't blast me with "use the search button responces"whew, now that that's outta the way.I just got a pair of the 26" kevlar wicks,I followed all the instuctions that Malcolm sent,I take real good care of them,and I never burn for more than 4 minutes,and i always use Kero.How many burns should I expect to get out of them?Sorry don't mean to sound like a rookie, we all had our day I guess.------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
i personally do not have kevlar wicks, but some friends of mine have had their wicks for about a year. [JOSH]

anyone got a light?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey there N8.My understanding is they can go hundreds of burns. There is a set here that I have that have been burnt at least 50 times easiy and you can still see the Kevlar color towards the center. And these things have travelled so they have suffered unintentional abuse.Anyway, how long do you soak them? That will make a difference in burn time, though four minutes isn't really bad. It's just hard to put down once the rush taks over! winkHope this helps.Oh...and congrats on the fire. I remember when you were all about the stix! *joking!*------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
My guesstimate is that you should be able to get at least 100 burns. Probably 200, maybe more.From what I've seen, some people are just inordinately hard on their equipment, and it gets really ratty really quickly; others seem to go lightly on it, and apart from being completely black, the wicks look pretty new for a long time. I don't know how to explain it.I'm very hard on my wicks--I always let them sputter out, don't do any of the things that are supposed to extend their life, and I've got 75-80 burns in them. I get about 5:30 burn-time, and although they look ratty, they're still usable.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Thanks everybody,oh and thanx to you Lynn, looks like I'm all growed-up smile------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Pyrothumpmember

Posted:
I push my wicks to their limit all the time. The longest I have ever gotten out of them is 14 months (approx 12 hrs a week) We always try new moves and drop the sticks so the shortest I've had wicks for is 8 hours. This was due to the kevlar fraying from the friction of hitting concrete. (A good tip is to stick to grass or sand if you drop your staff alot.

THUMPATRON....The Power Within.

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
I'm pretty abusive to my wicks too. The burn with new wicks only ever lasted for me for about 5 minutes. After a year that dropped to about 1 minute (hardly even worth it). They would also go out if there was even a tiny bit of wind.I'm taking better care of my new set though. I think the main thing is blowing them out before they go out naturally. The wicks should never ever be allowed to smoulder wink. Apart from keeping them soaked in kero, I don't think there's much else you can do. As far as I know, 4 minutes is a respectable burn time...Did you 'condition' your wicks before you started (lighting them, putting them out, lighting them, putting them out etc.)? I've never *not* done this so I don't know if it has an effect...I've also heard that you can turn your wicks inside out to make them last longer (a bit like underpants wink ).Good luck! Long live Kevlar the God of wicks.