Forums > Technical Discussion > Kevlar wicking founation of youth?

Login/Join to Participate

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
My kevlar wicks are begining to fray and fall apart at the ends after 200+ burns. I was wondering if I could unwrap them reverse the way it's wrapped so the burnt stuff is on the inside and new wick is exposed. Would that give me awhole new 200+ burns on them? or would the burnt stuff not soak up any fuel?------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i just did that with my stick and i think it will give you about 160+ burns and then a few that will send flames a fair way away from you but it is a great idea to prolong the kevlaif you re dip your stick after each burn you will notice that the fibres wont singe (after a burn your stick is smoking because the fibres are singing) therefore you will only do half the damage to your wick per burn

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
I notice most of the destruction takin place when I go to light them back up. Loose fibers come out and burn up and off. Also is there anyway to slow the destrution of the wicks on my staff? It gets dunked just about everytime. But the ends are faying from being dropped I think. I only have around 30 or 40 burns on it and it's alot worse then my poi are.

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

.draevonBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
Mr Knagi,The triple wicked staff I'm using at the moment is made up entirely out of the kevlar from dead, derelict staffs I have lying around and it's been going for over 5 months.See if you can find 100% kevlar (not kevlar-cotton blend) it will last a lot longer then the cotton blend.ÐraevonIncendiumwww.incendium.org

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
O guess I've been useing kevlar coated glass wicks??? Does renegde sell pure kevlar wicks or are they coated glass too?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
kevlar coated glass wicks!!?????????I don't have a lot of knowledge when it comes to wicking (I just stick with regular stuff like from dube and renegade) but I've never ever heard of kevlar coated glass wicks.from whence did these come? glass?::flash looks baffled::

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Fibre glass, I think.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Yes, fiberglass. The wicking I use is a fiberglass/kevlar blend.I'm not sure if Renegade's wicking is pure kevlar or a blend. I'm also not clear on what functional difference, if any, we would see. Fiberglass actually resists heat to a higher temperature than kevlar. I've got a sample of pure kevlar, and to the touch, it seems the same as the kevlar/fiberglass I use.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Flash,fibreglass has glass fibres in it, that's how it got it's name. Clever eh? wink------------------C@ntus

Meh

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
::slaps forehead::

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Flash have you ever ordered wicks from this site? Cuz that's where I came up with the coated glass :P