Forums > Technical Discussion > under water fire twirling ...

Login/Join to Participate

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Don't laugh , OK ? ...I remember watching the opening of the olympics in Sidney and they had the flam relay which went UNDER water. SO I was wondering, has anyone any idea of how they do it ??? malcolm maybe ?And also ... has anyone thought of fire twirling under water ? I guess staff would be a better option than poi wink lolor maybe glowsticks would be easier ? Yeah, for sure, but I just love the idea of fire under water ...shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
Very cool thought smileIf twirling under water with above stated very expensive technology poi you could have a cool delay kind of effect where the poi would be a second or two behind where your hands would go. NOT to mention the totally different style that would be created. smileIf you make 'em Cassandra, I'll buy 'em grin(and some scuba gear ;p

beakermember
54 posts

Posted:
The problem with doing this with poi would be the resistance created and the the fact that the chains would be hard to keep taut underwater. But if you stuck some underwater flares on the ends of a staff or some sticks that would be a different matter!!crazy Idea but arent they always the best? smile

C'mon baby light my fire

firestartermember
2 posts

Posted:
call me a prude if you will, but isnt mixing fire and water against the rules of nature so to speak? the water puts out the fire. so to choose to try to 'conquer' that element of nature seems strange to me. then again, maybe i'm just a prude ;Psierra~------------------https://www.seedsoffire.com[This message has been edited by Sierra the Princess (edited 21 August 2001).]

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
magnesium is the key to this, but i do believe it would only truly work with staff. but hey i could be wrong. have fun

anyone got a light?

4,224 posts

Posted:
Yes, it was rather obvious to me too that this was to be a staff experience ... Sierra the Princess, I am not dreaming of forcing any elements of nature, it is rather a paradox and I am fond of paradoxes just as I'd love to spin fire in the Polar circle, because the contrast makes it beautiful!!!Magnesium ? Could you tell me a bit more, Pozee ?shine oncassandra

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
Actually, nothing that I know of "burns" under water in the traditional sense. All of the fuels that we normally use to burn require a large amount oxygen which is not present under water (water does have a small amount of dissolved oxygen that fish breathe and stuff.)Things like white phosporus and underwater flares (which I believe navy divers use) will "burn" underwater because they are actually undegoing other chemical reactions which release light and energy.I know that glowsticks would work under water. smileIt seems that the ancient greeks were right, fire is the opposite of water.

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

Janglamember
155 posts

Posted:
How about using a rigid chain instead of the normal flexible chain? Just an idea!...I suppose that would technically mean they weren't fire poi in the strict sense but it would solve the problem of water resistance especially if used with some of the wrist and finger supports I have seen coming out of the States at the moment.Like I said, just an idea. Only been doing this for 3 days so I'm hardly an oracle on the subject!!!!

---------------------With a bit of luck, his life was ruined; always thinking that just behind some narrow door, in his favourite bars, men in red woolen suits are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

4,224 posts

Posted:
Jangla, rigid chain ? mmm that would be like club swinging basically... why not !!!Mr mo... yes, those good old greeks were right, fire is the opposite of water... and man is the opposite of women ... but what a combination when the two meet .... smileMagnesium ? Phsphorus... mmmm I definitely should have listened more during chemistry classes in high school ... I really have NO IDEA how these things work...Glowstix, then ??? could be great, but not the effect I was thinking of...Anyone, help ?Shine oncassandra

Miss Dnewbie
1 post

Posted:
I use steel cable for my fire poi, as I had one too many bad experiences with wrapping the bloody chains round my head and limbs. That might work underwater with flares or glow rods. I would never use chains ever again on dry land, bloody crap!!"D"

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
this is off topic but still on topic..when i was on holidays i decided to play poi in the pool ot night.. of course i didnt tkae my real poi into the pool but 4 glowsticks on strings. (2 on each) totally awesome looking i must say it makes the water light up so much it pretty.. and i had two colors yellow and blue which made the water glow a shimmery green.. very neat.. its difficult to do any really cool moves under the water as you have to go im slow motion but i had people telling me i looked like a water sprite... which is the reaction i wanted really fun guys..------------------A Faeries Heart Beats Fierce and Free!!!!!

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
actually spanky, lightsabres dont work underwater. There's a bit in one of the books where i think it was obi-1 had his lightsabre put out of action because he dropped it in the water or something.no, i havent read any of the books, i was researching something about kendo, then somehow got onto a site specifically about theoretical techniques of fighting with a massless blade (i.e. lightsabres), which then got me onto something about lightsabres themselves. Oh the joys of surfing.but they should have someone with lightsabre poi in episode two. I mean, we've has lightsabre staff in one and lightsabre clubs in all the other ones... it would look totally amazing...ooo, lighstable meteors... grinthey should have RAV'N Lightsabres... mmm... flasheeee...wait, what was this topic about again? I'll shut up now.

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

hexonlegsmember
12 posts

Posted:
Marine distress flares will burn anywhere, under water or on the moon. However, they are incredibly hot, very dangerous and produce loads of particles & smoke. Be careful!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
It's not technically "burning" but actually reacting and producing light. Just like glowsticks don't burn, neither does the sun. Just being a stickler as this is a fire site. winkAlso wanted to keep my nerd image intact as there were rumors of me being "cool" and such flying... can't have that now...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
i saw this guy with this neato staff it was an arylic clear tube but it was drilled out to put glowsitck in it.. not only does it look like a light saber out of the water.. it would look like on in the water only silvery (ever put clear plastic in water.?) silver!

Send food, not bombs.

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
just for typo impared...arylic is a misstyped version of acrylic

Send food, not bombs.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
(FYI, you can "edit" your post after you've typed it... just click on the little pencil thing.)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

4,224 posts

Posted:
Sorcha, I have this huge smile on my face now and you got me dreaming about all this WOW ... mmm.... gotta give all this some time and really try. It is a pity most of what you mention is so darn expensive !!!Oh and NYC, sorry, try again and try harder, I still think you are cool and sweet winkShine onCassandra

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
glowsticks are tapered towards the end... so if you got a tube that was slightly thinner than the thick end they would stay in the end by friction if you just jammed them in, because the angle is really low...hmm... where could I get acrylic tubing from? hardware store doesnt have it. and wont it be really heavy?

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
hmmm...not wanting to put a 'damper' (muhaha) on the conversation, but if you use marine distress flares.....does that mean you'll end up being rescued by a bunch of grumpy marine rescuers? Heh, try explaining yourself out of that one! :-)x

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

4,224 posts

Posted:
LOLGood one xaeda... mmm... rescued by marines... would they come to France as well ? If they are all as sexy as Pozee, then why not ? winkShine oncassandraPS : mental note... remember to calm Pozee's ego down later wink