HappyStickermember
42 posts

Posted:
I am rather new to this....just got down the three and four beat weave and i am looking for another teaching tool to supplement this web site.... from yall's experience what ones are the best out there that have the basics but also move into more advanced moves? I would prefer a teacher in person but in Lubbock, TX they are pretty hard to come by :-) Thankx -Keith

If you had a friend that was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down the street and he just fell over......that would be unacceptable.

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
...(well I just have to do it don't I?) smile"The Fire Twirling Book" (available through this site - visit the shop, or direct from us at moonfest@bigpond.com) goes through technique for single staff - I know this might not be exactly what you're after if you're a poi purist... but if you get into advanced staff you'll find lots of technique translates to poi as well, and if not - you can just get really good at staff... besides that I'm afraid you'll find very little actually written on twirling - but of course check out the videos available - "Circles of Light" and the other poi video available on this site - they're good resources...

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
there's actually a comprehensive meteor book available from this site which I'm sure would have some poi moves (easily translated that is).. and the video from this site is highly recommended from a friend of mine..I honestly think if someone brings out a poi book they should have *real* poi talent.. e.g. Jo D or some other person I have not yet met. 'Cause this site with its discussions from around the globe will teach you more than a book from a very average poi twirler.

RolloTCBRONZE Member
11 posts

Posted:
The Meteor Book is written by Rhys Thomas. If you are interested in getting it I would suggest going to www.seriousjuggling.com (not trying to do cheesy advertising... Serious juggling is down in portland, I'm in Seattle... Its just a very good shop).Meteors are similar to poi and most of the moves are similar enough that they translate well. A lot of the moves would probably be more basic type moves. Some moves later in the book are more related to staff moves the way you move your hands.Books dont necessarily have any reflection on how good the person is at the art. Somebody that is VERY good could write a book that everybody would think is horrible, because they can't express how to do the moves in words and pictures. On the otherhand, somebody who isnt as good, could write a WONDERFUL book, because he is able to teach in written words and pictures. Also different styles of teaching appeal to different types of people. Books sometimes have different styles of pictures/descriptions which can throw some people off. Some can watch a move (live or in a video), and can get it down no problem. Others need to have it taught one on one (with possibly a lot of practice besides).Anyways... to tie my ramblings in with the subject... find your learning style (books, videos, one on one, or any other), and try to find that type of help.Since you are in TX (no idea where Lubbock is in relation to anything else), you might want to find a juggling club to go to. Some jugglers also do poi and staff. I would tell you where they are in texas, but I have already packed the book... maybe when I get back to school tomorrow...

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
There are also a couple of really good books on club spinning available. All of these moves translate directly to poi - more so than either staff or meteor.I'm at work so don't have the exact details with me but....Actually, rather than me try to remember the names and publishing details..I'll do a search and then edit this post. I know I've posted this information before. Finn smile

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
hmmmm.... my post hasn't appeared yet.Well, here goes"Modern Club Swinging and Pole Spinning" by Anna Jillingss of the Cosmos Jugglers. The Jillings book translates all of the Schatz moves into contemporary English. I've been told that it's currently out of print but you never know. It was published in 1994 by Butterfingers, Bath, England.The ISBN is 0 9513240 8 XI got my copy from a juggling shop in Sydney. There's also the WJ Schatz Club Swinging book. It's very dense reading, but has a wealth of information. It's fantastic but is written in very difficult to read late nineteenth century Englishwww.dube.com/book/6.html#Club Swinging I found the Jillings book much more user friendly.Good luck,Finn smile

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
hullooo..I was searching for some club books and (thanks to Finn) have now be saited (sp).. my eyes have been taken off the meteor book and directed elsewhere smileon the contrary to the people commenting.. I believe you should have the skills to be both impressive in the actual execution and number/variety of moves as well as the theory/teaching. If you are going to be putting out a good book on the subject. For example, I know of someone who holds workshops around here who may be able to explain things okay, but there are better teachers around (with more real talent in both doing it and teaching) and I would not recommend anyone I know to go to them/her/him/it. When I learn something I like to learn from the best wink So who's going to assassinate a member of these firefly people eh? wink j/k

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

HappyStickermember
42 posts

Posted:
thank you all for posting so far, i really do like this site alot, the positive attitude of everyone helping eachother is great! i am looking at the links and have ordered the meteor book, thanks again and if anyone has anything else it would also be greatly appreciated :-)-Keith

If you had a friend that was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down the street and he just fell over......that would be unacceptable.

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
I have no idea of what this is like, but it sounds interesting:The Rhythm and Life of Poiby Ngamoni Huata https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1869502736/
Poi, as performed by Maori women for centuries, is one of Polynesia's most graceful art forms. In the first book to be published on the subject, expert Ngamoni Huata looks at its origina and spiritual importance. Early accounts of poi performances are included, along with descriptions of how poi are made and how to perform the actions. Song texts to accompany poi performances are given, in Maori and English, with photographs and line drawings complementing the text. This comprehensive book is both a source of cultural information and a practical handbook for anyone wanting to learn how to perform poi. Ngamoni Huata (Te Arawa, Mataatua, Tainui) is one of New Zealand's leading exponents of poi, and grew up in the tourist village of Whakarewarewa. A frequent judge at the Aotearoa Maori Performing Arts Festivals, she still performs regularly.

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are