Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
I dunno where this idea came from and I doubt it could be done but here goes. What if I were to get some kevlar rope and tie it taunt to both ends of my staff fuel it up and light it.. Would it be possiable to change grips fast enough to avoid being burned? I dunno maybe I should just go out and try it :P I'm sure I'd need to work my hands in with trailing for a few hours befor I tried it.------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Seeing this makes me think. Is it possible to do staff and poi at the same time. As in double staff and poi not one staff one poi. I'm fairly sure you could use some double loop leather straps so you have all your fingers to play with the staff'. The only problem would probably be timing. Dangerboy, this is a job for you, I exspect a video,(LOL), outside this time. Come on, I really want to see if it's possible, and since your the wepons guru here, have at it. Just curious.Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
Knagi...this idea sounds quite dangerous - please be careful...but, you can get a very similar effect in doing what we have done with a staff - attaching fire rope down *most* of the length of the staff... just leaving a section in the middle to grip (like ropes/whips are to poi, these are like a full staff of flame or double fire sword (?))- you obviously have to keep spinning so as not to burn your hands - (and it is still very dangerous!) but if would be a tad safer than the full length of wick... and we only use low flashpoint, low temperature fuel that won't transfer easily...

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Myst - I've fooled around a little with my doubles and poi at the same time. it's a little crazy but definately do-able. If I really focussed on it seriously I don't doubt that some amazing things could happen. I hold the poi in a double finger loop with my forefinger and middle finger then hold my staves as normal.I guess it's just a bit "cowboy" for me at the moment. You know - all show and no finesse.But something to think about for sure.------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
And I know someone who does it very fluidly (they have had a literally shitloads of practice and experience) .. kinda reminds me of fire fans. I reckon its possible to twirl with the wholelength of kevlar on a stick. You just gotta have the skill ... but truly, if you wanna see REAL fire swords go to Hawaii, there they set machetes on fire with shellite and throw them around (no crap). Shellite is very dangerous ... unless you are super-twirler with 80 years experience and have already lived a good life smile its very apt to burning people and their faces away to next to nothing.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Cool!!!

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Double poi and 5 foot staff, bah no problem :P I simply looped the chains together so I had a small metor set then held my 5 foot staff in the left hand and had at it. Mostly double staff moves and got some very interesting wraps from it. Found that I could let go of the metors and walk my arm down the chain and when it got to near the end I swung the staff in and let it walk back up that. Maybe if I get good at it I could use the staff to manuplte the metor without ever touching it.

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC