Forums > Technical Discussion > My quick-links keep coming undone...

Login/Join to Participate

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
I like having quicklinks on my fire poi so I can switch to glowsticks/take the wicks off and store them so they don't smell up my bags/etc... Often, when I take them out of my bag one or more has loosened. This makes me nervous for obvious reasons. Should I tighten them with a wrench? Or just make sure to check them before lighting? Can I put a dab of elmer's glue to "lock" the ones I don't usually undo into place? Just wondering...

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
You know....didn't we cover this in NYC or weren't you there for the discussion? grinBabe, you are not alone here, it happens to all the guys wink. They unscrew quite often but....I have one of those multitools with the pliers/wrench end on it, before every show/spin I give the links one snug turn (you don't want it too tight or you'll strip the spiral or not be able to get it undone).I wouldn't glue them shut if you want to get them back open, elmers sets in heat. Just a little extra nudge does the trick and will hold until you un-nudge them! winkGood luck.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Yeah, mrmo, that's normal behavior. I admit that I get by with finger tightening, and so far that has been fine--but I check the tightness very frequently.I really should get a little wrench. I had a gig once where I wanted to change wicks and couldn't, because one of the links had somehow gotten too tight for me to work loose by hand.Quick-links are the way to go in general, though. But a friend showed me an ingenious widget that was built into a sampo swivel--basically two opposing J-hooks with a common pivot at the top. Tiny, sturdy, easy to open, but once something is hooked into it, it ain't going anywhere. Haven't seen anything quite like it before or since.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
I've never had a problem with my quick links coming undone, but a few drops of nail polish on the threads will do a wonderful job. Nail polish makes a wonderful poor-man's lock-tight, and it is very easily freed up with a pair of pliers.-p.

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
Thanks kids. I might try the nail polish trick for my stap-side quick-links. I guess I'll bring a wrench, too. My burn bag keeps getting bigger and heavier![That must have been the night I wasn't there Pele...]An unrelated tip that I found works REALLY well for me is keeping my wicks detatched an in a wide-mouth thermos. The wicks don't stink up my bag/house/get soot over everything in my bag. The thermos acts as a fuel can that I can soak in. And, best of all, when I'm done soaking, I just put the lid back on and pour the extra fuel back into the original container through the spout without spilling a drop (so it acts as a funnel, too.) Granted, I have been using torch fuel and lamp oil so I'm not sure if rougher fuels would eat away the plastics but it works really well for me.

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hmmmm. that's a great idea Mr. Mo, about the thermos. How big do they have them though? I have a set of four inchers that I really don't think would fit in one but I am ganna look for one for the smaller wicks..thanks!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK