Forums > Technical Discussion > Dancing whilst doing Poi or Staff...

Login/Join to Participate

kingmember
15 posts

Posted:
People,Fellow Poists, beginners, armatures and professionals. Have you ever viewed someone who does the poi or the staff at a nightclub or generally to music whilst dancing? I personally dance to trance music by adding the flowing movement of the poi with the rhythm of my body to coordinate a highly attractable performance. Dancing and doing poi is hard to master, as all must know. I am not saying that I am the only one that can coordinate jungle music, or trance or house but I have noticed that although doing the art of Poi itself is truly an amazing phenomena to envisage, but adding an extra element (providing everything still runs smoothly) makes it utterly breathtaking. So many people because of this have complimented me and I just wonder if anyone else has videos of people doing the same. All I ever see is walking with the poi or moving left to right and round. No dancing yet. Well let me know what you guys think.Once I get the adequate software on my computer, maybe I can send some vids to show everyone. Remember that everyone has a unique style of dancing, so in a way dancing makes the art one's revolutionized attribute.King

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
I dance like a maniac with my staff at raves, in my backyard to my stereo, to drum beats down at the park, to my headphones, whatever is around..it's firedancing, it looks so nice synced to the beat..then there is also fire spinning, where I just basically show off my moves and how fast I can go..but fire dancing is definitely the better looking of the two.

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Yup...i strive to as well, but that is the performer in me.If you want to see some try taking a look at Dangerboy's videos in the Cool New Sites area of this board. He and Hayobola on the whole do a fair bit of dancing with fire.Cheerios!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

kingmember
15 posts

Posted:
Has anyone viewed someone doing liquid dancing with Poi? I just saw someone do it with poi and I was taking back. I tell you, it is a whole different experience especially when one does it right. Seriously, I do the poi with Popp dancing and add a few brake dancing with it, but to be able to flow the poi as well as liquidating ones body must be a truly orgasmic experience.King

Annie Cmember
40 posts

Posted:
HelloAm I super silly or am I the only one that doesn't know what 'Liquid dancing' is...please can someone explain sounds impressive...... shocked

kingmember
15 posts

Posted:
Ann,Well To be honest with you I think that the term liquid means a direct link with the movement of water emulated in the way one moves ones body. Think of waves beings portrayed using your whole body and you have liquidation dancing. Check this guy out.https://www.sigmacore.com/pha17tasy/RLF-Raving%20Liquid%20Dancin-J.mpgKing

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
Liquid dancing (as I know it) is how ravers dance..it can involve many different things, but they key is to flow like liquid, and not be jerky..everyone has their own form of it..and words are only words, dancing is dancing, just have fun.. trying to put labels on it can help to explain the concept, but still.. it is what it is, regardless of what we choose to call it..

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

Hairshortsmember
5 posts

Posted:
yeah, liquid is pretty much whatever you want to make it. there are no set moves, nobody looks the same doing it, as it's a visual reflection of how you feel the music.i started spinning glowsticks and photons on short strings a few weeks ago, and i'm completely hooked, because with the short strings i can do the same sorts of things i do when i dance liquid, all the while spinning my poi. it's very liberating, since there's so much room for improv, and it never gets old.nate

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
OK, my turn to ask a dumb question..what the heck are photons?I assume you aren't talking about sub atomic particles..

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Ok first off don't say liquid dancing is something only ravers do, I'm not a raver I hate ravers, However I have been slowing picking up on liquid, I say slowly because I'm 6 foot 260, that not a pretty sight, to see some big fat guy rolling around :P The only way I'm gonna complete my liquid is with fire, I meet someone with very short fire fingers that worked perfect for liquiding with I'm gonna make a pair one for each hand and flow with them for abit, if nothing else I'll have another toy to keep ppl's attention. Or I could even eat them up at the end. Wow that would rule seein some dude liquiding with fire then eating them at the end :P Photon's are over priced led's I say over priced cuz I made my own set for poi heads and they were much cheaper to make.------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim Morrison

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
yeah, sorry, I didn't mean that ONLY ravers do it, that's just where I seem to see it most..thanks for explaining what photons are.. basically just leds right?

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
now back to the topic... yeah, I dance when I twirl. it's my saving grace! I don't have a huge repetior of moves, but the way I move my body (so long as the accompaniment is suitable) takes my firedancing to a whole other level.For me, it's mostly about body movement. my staves just follow me around.don't get me wrong, I do have *some* good tech moves, but if it wasn't for the way I move my body, I don't think I'd be a performer.------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
righteous post king! i totally hear ya! i go out to clubs, house parties, etc as often as humanly possible and i always think about my poi as i groove out on the dance floor. or i think of my belly dancing or modern dance or (my favorite!) 'dance like no one's watching' mantra whenever i am performing with fire. fire and dance are so interconnected to me. i was just reading some HOP threads about photographing fire and it made me SO jonsing to have film or celluloid or some computer chip of my fire performances. but alas, not many pics at the moment (sigh)...in the meantime i'll keep trying to 'dance as if no one's watching'peace out ya'll.j-love~

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
wow - the whole idea of using fire poi(especially) and dancing together is really appealing. But belly-dancing...now *theres* something! I've done belly dancing for a while now...and i am -so- gonna try that! smile

Hapes-Novamember
60 posts

Posted:
I also would like to add something"Liquid dancing (as I know it) is how ravers dance.." this kinda makes it seem like you are saying that all ravers do liquid dancing. and thats not the case at all. i think, although im not at all certain, that only a relatively small percentage of ravers know how to do liquid. there are many other forms of dance that are more common at raves. liquid takes a lot of time, skill and practice, and its not a style that all ravers can do.-Hapes-Nova, liquid dancer[This message has been edited by Hapes-Nova (edited 09 August 2001).]

GoaFiremember
71 posts

Posted:
i would call myself a "raver" and id say all my friends would too....i spin poi/glowsticks at clubs/raves i just have to ask...do you hate me...weve never met... wink just wondering why you hate us thats all...*smiles n huggles*goafire

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
The most awsome thing about dancin' and stickin' is that your performance changed dependin' on the tunes. If you have trance the stick goes nuts and if it's mellow tunes it's more of a relaxation (good time to try tricky stuff when it's goin slow). I guess with every type of music there is a feelin' and conveying that feelin' in your dance is fun, like roleplaying.Okay okay AND even the most simple trick can look insane if your turnin' your body around !!! Losta body action opens more dimensions! smile b firein'

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
These days i guess i dont find people amazing unless they do move with their toys....ive seen the weave done so many times that you need to add something personal to make how you do fire dancing different to anyone else.Ive seen some amazing people, not because they can do behind the back weaves or whatever "difficult" move, but because they move so well with their toys....

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

Barbmember
13 posts

Posted:
I'm glad that this topic's come up, I totally agree with Frenzie. I find that poi is an extension of dancing, that was the big attraction for me. I love watching poi-artists who are dancers first they may not be the most technically proficient, but they know how to perform for an audience and uses thier bodies and the music to make something beautiful. ------------------We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
dancing, dancing dancing with the flames smilethat's what it is about for me, really ! and this very moment where I suddenly stopped being so focused on the technical thing and felt the "click" inside me to actually start dancing is one of the most beautiful moments of my spinning life, really !!!As I was in Grece, I spun to some classical music for the first time and it was just amazing too. To each music there is a dance and it is just great to feel that your body and heart find the fire dance which fits the music... and the mood.shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i think it's extremely important to move in time with yout toys...I mean, otherwise you'll just be standing there looking like your playing with a couple of yoyos smileIF you try at least to get your poi to be in time with each other (dont laugh! so many twirlers I watch dont bother) you can then follow the movement with the rest of your body...and then start adding counterpoints with your legs! or hips (like Flash wink) Then you can start doing spins and turns and stuff in time with your movement...if you can then work that into your poi rythm you will be rockin smile)This is about as much as I aspire to right now smilerock on ppl - and dont forget about the Burning Man meet up!JoshJosh