Neodolatelnamember
12 posts

Posted:
I went camping last weekend and ran out of paraffin for my torches. Not wanting to drive 30 minutes on a bumpy dirt road to get to town to buy more, i used citronella oil (for putting into tiki torches) to dip my wicks in. It seemed to work ok, there was not bad smell or excess smoke. Does anyone know if citronella torch fuel is more damaging than parrafin?Oh! And this weekend was the first time I spun fire! It was so great- I'm already addicted to the whooshing sound! smile

ding-0-member
5 posts

Posted:
damaging in what way? We did some playing around with citronella over the weekend too. It's slow to light but burns a little bit longer then kero.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
neodolatelna? sounds like czech to me... am I not the only one from CR here on this site? hado@centrum.cz

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
My very unscientific study of citronella this weekend leads me to believe that it burns a good 50% longer than synthetic kerosene. It might burn as much as twice as long as regular kero, and 3-4 times longer than white gas. When applied to warm wicks, I found it to light very easily. Cold wicks may need a touch of white gas or charcoal lighter fluid to ease starting.But the most important thing I learned is that the smell of the cironella oil is completely not an issue, despite reports here to the contrary. Sure I could smell it, and I certainly wouldn't want to use it indoors, but for outdoor use it is just fine.The best thing about citronella oil is that you can pick it up at Wall*Mart for less than four bucks a gallon. Remember to stock up if you live up north and intend to burn through the winter.-p.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
While in NYC and using towel wicks we had some problems with Citronella not going out.We had to smother the wicks twice as long. We let them sit about 20 minutes while we cleaned up and when I picked up my poi, I swung them a bit for fun and they lit up again!! shocked We couln't believe it and I was taken aback, definately. So again, we smothered them, I lifted them and they lit again. I ended up dunking them in the East River. The only thing this can be attributed to is the Citronella Oil as everything else was consistent with all my other spins, wicks, chains, all of it.I will say it didn't smell any less than Kero in my eyes. The bugs didn't bother us and it wasn't nearly so hot. It lit for us about the same as Kero on cold wicks.If you are going to use it, be careful if you are allowing your wicks to smoulder. Truly I find no fuel "damaging" to any wick. We are setting these things on fire, the wicks will take on wear and tear no matter what fuel we use.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
Dang PJ, Good Call! I never would have thought of that as a newbie... of course my local KMart isn't going to be stocking torch fuel in the winter time up here... Time to stock up!... now how do I get 20 gallons of torch fuel up 6 flights of stairs?...

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
Construct a super strong sushi train! Or round up the neighbourhood dogs and put them in harnesses, attach the fuel to the end, and place a big joint of meat at the top of the stairs. Does the US get proper 100% citronella oil? I cannot find it anywhere here.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

Neodolatelnamember
12 posts

Posted:
Hi Hadoyes, it's czech, but i'm not from the czech republic. in HS i was friends with a foreign exchange student from cz and she taught me a couple of words! smile

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
citronella rocks as far as street performance goes, it has a wicked smell and doesnt choke you like kero, in aus, its expensive but much loved, nice flame colour too, i favour it above all other fuels

beakermember
54 posts

Posted:
This stuff sounds good can I get it in the UK ?? if so where would I be most likley to find it??cheers.....

C'mon baby light my fire

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
In the UK you can buy it at a lot of garden centres as it's used for garden lamp fuel (the big stick kind).My favourite fuel has been a citronella/parafin mix and I think I'll be returning to use this once I finally get round to buying some more citronella.

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but please be careful when using citronella for spinning. (**Especially** if you're doing an indoor performance!) Some people out there (me, for example) are **deathly** allergic to the stuff. Out doors in an open area it isn't so bad, but if you're spinning even in an alley where the stuff might hang in the air... Ugh... You might want to warn your spectators...Just sayin'.Jesse

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
Didn't realise people could be allergic to it and that badly so. Then again in this day and age people can be allergic to so much.Curious - what's the allergen? - the actually citronella additive or the poly cyclic aromatic hydrocarbons that are produced from a more impure fuel?

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
Yes. In my case it's the "perfumes" if you can call them that... Even unlit citronella will make me sneeze, but less so, because it doesn't travel as much in the liquid or solid form. (I'm also allergic to quite a few laundry detergents and cosmetics.)On the other hand, a good friend of mine has the other problem, caused by the smoke from burning Citronella. And most of the asthmatics I know have fits if you even mention citronella... There I think it's the impurities in the fuel, once again...Mostly out-doors you're fine... Just watch out in places like alleys and stages where the air doesn't move much, even though you are out-doors. smileJesse (Who is still so fresh from Pennsic that there may or may not still be bugs in her hair...)

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi, I'm a bit confused about citronella oil. Are you guy's burning pure citronella oil? The citronella torch fuel I see in shops is about 98% paraffin/kero and 2% citronella oil. So, aren't you basically using kero or have I missed something? smileOops, I think I am confusing kero (paraffin in the UK) with liquid paraffin mineral oil.[This message has been edited by Stone (edited 23 August 2001).]

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh