Forums > Technical Discussion > What is Liquid Dancing exactly?

Login/Join to Participate

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
I have heard this term used a lot. What is it?------------------"O! for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention." - William ShakespeareCheck out my Online Gallery!B l A c K i E

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
https://www.sigmacore.com/pha17tasy/RLF-Raving%20Liquid%20Dancin-J.mpgcheck
this vid - I'm not sure if this is liquid, but it fits the description, and it certainly impressed me..Josh[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 27 July 2001).]

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
I'm surprised that no one else responded to this one. I'm certainly no candy raver but I'll at least throw you a bone. I must tread lightly as I got yelled at the last time I tried to define this many moons ago. Liquid is a type of dancing while holding glow sticks. My students call it "raving" which makes no sense at all. People hold glowsticks or LEDs or small lights and make pretty patterns while at clubs and such. Apparently it's also neet-o while on "E."But don't just hold glowsticks and dance and say you're doing Liquid. The ravers will get ya!

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

Hairshortsmember
5 posts

Posted:
I only watched half of the video, but that guy's pretty cool. And yeah, that's liquid. It doesn't have to be with lights at all, but it looks very cool when using them. I would describe it as your hands chasing one another and flowing around each other in fluid patterns. Looks and feels great to do.Nate

Lamarmember
53 posts

Posted:
Yup yup. Some people use glowsticks, some people use those red bicycle-reflector type lights, some people will wear all black and put on white gloves. I personally just prefer my free-hand. Just like Hairshorts said, its about fluidity. Ya just pick a hand to lead, and a hand to follow and go nuts w/ traces, fig 8s (think windmill -- but in front of your body w/ just hands), stalls (mime-esque movements), etc. A couple of variations of the style also include dancing with an imaginary ball, box, or string tied between your two hands so their forced to stay mostly parallel w/ each other... the goal here is to keep fluidity while rotating your hands around these imaginary objects.It is really too new to define... which is prolly why ya got yelled at, mrmo_nyc. The principles are basically as I described above, but everyone seems to branch off and integrate it with their own style... which is phat 'cause no two people look the same.

Liquidmember
28 posts

Posted:
liquid is a form of top rocking, poping and locking if your good

Lamarmember
53 posts

Posted:
Define 'top rocking'. Never heard of that before.

Liquidmember
28 posts

Posted:
top rocking, its like doing the robot, its breadancing up stairs, break dancing is on the ground with the legs, top rocking is in the air with the arm. alot of jerks and twist, stalls, open to the world but deseptive. its what you make it up in the atic

Liquidmember
28 posts

Posted:
top rocking and liquid are two diffrent things, just like there is top locking, I love that say thoughHe will be sitting down indian style and he looks like water getting up. that was funny as hell, but so understand you. I have to tell my brother that. I always tell him he is a good dance. but them he says " I dont dance I Liquid. It might be just funny to me, i wish i could meet you friend one day. I know a guy like that, he will be goofing off and put you to shame, you dont want him to actualy do it, I get liquid out some times. i have to go out of state to get some new moves. hey if you do get some vids of you send some my way, symphonicmusic@yahoo.com You might know some things I dont. thanksplur

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Yeah I think know what liquid dancing is, I just hadn't heard it called that before...Went to a club last night and danced like the guy in the video. People started copying me, it was v. cool [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/wink.gif">------------------[/image] - William ShakespeareCheck out my Online Gallery!B l A c K i E

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

ReddevilBRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:
Um...im not really impressed with that style of dancing,looks like body popping from the 80's to me..

Burntmember
13 posts

Posted:
lol, can help but agree. When I was sixteen I used to wear white gloves, whistle, glowsticks etc and go to cheesy raves getting mashed on beans........then I grew up. Though you have to remember thate the states are a bit behind when it comes to such things so cheesy raving (or liquid (LOL) as they like to call it) is probably just catching on their!!!!have fun children

Play with fire and you might get Burnt.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
LOL!!! (with Burnt)

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
Yah! Having fun is so lame! I can't wait 'til I grow up and don't anymore!Oh.... wait... I am grown up... and I still don't give people a hard time or disparage their chosen modes of enjoyment as "behind."

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
cool! it's so wonderful that you europeans so much more grown up. now we immature americans have role models to look up to!i long for the day when i find the impetus to explore life outside this musty, old warehouse lit with blacklights. O' to find a natural source for seritonin! what a glorious day that will be when i can cast off the shackles of my futile hopes for endless plur.please... oh please, will some benevolent european come and save me? you are all grown up and so much wiser! use your wisdom to help me instead of laughing at me! i'm getting lactose intolerant and don't want to be cheesy anymore.

frodusmember
92 posts

Posted:
hahathats some funny shitwho are you to say americans are behind?We've got some of the best house/DnB/hardcore DJ's in the worldseems to me there's more trance than anything else over there! i am probably wrong, so don't jump down my throatthe "scenes" are different and cannot be compared to eachother. different peopledifferent fadsdifferent culturesso, have you moved on from cheesy dancing to just sitting there all drugged out like a crackhead?or do you hop up and down like a bunny?how DO you dance?bump and grind?what is the latest "style" over there we haven't witnessed yet?i bet there are similaritieswe're all in it for the music (i hope)who cares about the damn superiorityI am americanyou are europeanwhat other differences are there?not a damn one!"If you haven't danced yet, then what the F**K did you come for??"

Peace,Travis IM: frodus17

Janglamember
155 posts

Posted:
Well said frodus! The fact is that the Euro club scene has changed and there's no denying that. The move has been far more to the commercial side of things (as with everything). Those of you who slate the founders of the rave scene; the white glove wearers, the luminous work jacket wearers, the glow stick champions and the dummy suckers to name but a few, are the foundation on which our clubs are built. To slate them is to spit on the graves of your cultural ancestors. And yet these entities are still to be found in our clubs and at our festivals, waving their hands like nutters and gurning like there's no tomorrow.To say that one nation is ahead of another is not right. The fact that the UK was the main founder of the outdoor illegal type 'rave' is a stone cold fact but even if new nations pick up on this, the culture of that nation will push it in an entirely different direction from the word go; no-one is ahead or behind anyone. "We are all on the same train going to the same destination but we're all in different compartments!""'Growing up' is such a shame. You lose the ability to lose your inhibitions. Gone is the passion that burned so brightly within you in years gone by....and yet you blame this loss on the passing of time rather than your own inability to tap into your inner energy.......how strange!"------------------"We are all of us in the gutter but some of us are looking up at the stars."[This message has been edited by Jangla (edited 29 August 2001).]

---------------------With a bit of luck, his life was ruined; always thinking that just behind some narrow door, in his favourite bars, men in red woolen suits are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

poiboimember
2 posts

Posted:
Liquid's a form of dacing done at raves. It evolved from "Popping" which came from Break Dancing. It gives the illusion that you rolling a ball. You normally never do it with any type of lights, instead it's normally done with gloves that are white and furry or the big ass smurf/mickey mouse gloves [which kick ass by the way]Video Games Don't Influence Kids. If That Were True People Would Be Running Around In A Dark Room, Listening To Loud Repetetive Music, and Munching On Majik Pillz smileVisit My Site https://www.geocities.com/poi_boiz

sunblindmember
4 posts

Posted:
As a brit who isn't into raving, I'd never seen this be4 but I'm just starting out on Poi (learnt the rudiments at a festival this weekend) And I just want to say, that shouldn't Poi(and the like) be uniting nations not getting them into a slagging match against one another about which is more superior? But to try and get the pompous git who posted the original patronising remark out of too much shit; Clubbing in britain HAS taken a turn for the worst. Dance music is being pumped out by talentless idiots and is making its way onto the charts and is being blared out on to all the lil kiddies!! Its only been recently by going to more festivals and having friends who are more into the underground scene overhere that I've discovered that some Dance music is actually good and its not all a load of arse! So to be fair I can understand why he thinks he has out-grown clubbing, (They are really different to how they used to be) Its not you US folk's fault that some people turn in to their granddads be4 they are 50 and have a tendancy to winge about the good old days!! =) By the way has anyone else tried poi-ing to Industrial like NIN. Its really quite hard!!

Tread softly for you tread on my dreams.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey guys...i like poi and although i am not good, i think it's really cool...but i also like to dance liquid (some may call it cheesy raving) but when i dance i just feel like my entire body has become this "liquid" form, and i can do whatever i want with it...it makes me feel free...so although it might be cheesy raving to some of you, i like doing it because it makes me feel good...KEEP On POI'in.