AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I was wondering if anyone knows if using red dyed kerosene is bad for wicks or if it has the same effect as clear kerosene on wicks. If anyone knows anything about using dyed kerosene as fuel, I would greatly appreciate any information. Thank you!

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Red kero is fine. In fact, it's the only kind I've seen around here.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

.draevonBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
In Australia, most of the kerosene in coloured blue, and it doesn't seem to have any adverse effects on our equipment.ÐraevonIncendiumwww.incendium.org

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I use blue colored lamp oil and it doesn't do anything to the tools. You know, Adam, I have been told by many people from other states that there Kersene is colored red...I am beginning to think NY is the only state with clear Kero. Weird.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
It's coloured in Australia for safety reasons. It used to be clear, but a few years ago the dye was introduced to distinguish it as non drinkable. ade

plastikgirlmember
41 posts

Posted:
HehehehAround here kerosene is clear.And it smells bad.Actually I've never seen coloured kerosene!!! smilepeace------------------"Lady bug lady bug, fly away home. Your house is on fire, and your children will burn! Ashes, ashes, all fall down!!

Lady bug lady bug, fly away home. Your house is on fire, and your children will burn! Ashes, ashes, all fall down!!

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
both white and red here in sunny florida

Wow

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
The only chemical difference between clear and dyed (colored) kerosene is the dye. Kerosene is very similar to diesel fuel, and in many cases, can be used in place of diesel. However, a large percentage of the cost of diesel fuel (50% or more in the US and some other countries) is federal and local taxes. In order to prevent people from buying kerosene and running it in their diesel engines, it is dyed red to indicate that no tax was paid on the fuel. Running a vehicle on non-taxed fuel is illegal in the US. While it is very difficult to analyze the contents of a fuel tank, it is very easy for an inspector to siphon out a small quantity, check the color, and issue a fine if necessary.-p.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Dyes are added for both reasons, illegal running of machinery and so it wouldn't be mistaken for water (and if your water smells like Kersene, you have bigger problems at hand! wink)Kersene is refined diesel and will over heat engines that run on it because the engine timing is not set to run on the consistancy of Kerosene. Lamp Oil is a refined Kersene, which is why the effects are similar when burning. (I have 5 members of my family who are diesel mechanics and/or truckers)The dyes, so that you all know, are highly toxic. You can actually purchase dye to put into clear kersene and oils. Researching these I found that they increase the toxicity of the fuel. Also, smokeless/odorless brands of fuels are more toxic than the smokey smelly inds because of the chemicals they add to "neutralize" the smoke and odour effects.Just so you know. wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Agnimember
28 posts

Posted:
Red dyed kero could be mistaken for tomato juice, though smileAnyway, here in Israel you only get clear kero.

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
here paraffin (kero) is clear... methylated spirits are purple though...usually the dyed varieties have a chemical that makes you puke in them because the fuels are so toxic... i forget the technical term for this.hmm, speaking of which i need to get some more, it runs out so damn fast! and my hardware store has run out because i've gone through 16 litres in 10 days... damnit...------------------"O! for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention." - William ShakespeareCheck out my Online Gallery!ß £ å © K ß î ® Ð

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x