Forums > Technical Discussion > What does paraffin eat through?

Login/Join to Participate

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
I bought a nice set of jam jars for my wicks, but they appear to leak. I tested them beforehand, and they were definitely water tight... but when i tip them on their side they get parafinny again!Does paraffin eat through rubber? Or plastic? or what?the lids are plastic... but I have another one with a rubber sealed lid... but apparently this wont work because rubber melts or something...And of course keeping a staff in fuel is impossible as we all know, unless you have detachable heads...Oh, if only glowsticks were £4 a bottle wink------------------Blackie

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I don't know all the chemistry involved but yeah, the fuels we use do break down rubber and plastic to some extent. Mrmo, you out there?I've used a few plastic food containers; white gas warps them quickly and severely but lamp oil leaves them mostly unaffected. And I've seen rubber seals chewed up by lamp oil. Seems like the softer the material and/or the more volatile the fuel, the faster the material goes south.The only container with a seal you can really count on is a paint can, but you need a crowbar to open it.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
I am thinking those glass jars that have like metal clip type things to keep them shut... they would work, wouldn't they?You know the ones...And I want to get one of those stainless steel canteen thingies to use for when I'm firebreathing smile looks better than sipping from a paraffin bottle!!!------------------Blackie

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Yes, the fuels we generally use for fire play can dissolve rubber and plastic. Also, it's *very* dangerous to carry fuel in glass because it's so breakable, and as such it'll give you the nix from fire marshalls here in the states. The most widely known and acceptable exceptions are the camping fuel containers (***not*** the shipping bottles fuels come in. Check https://www.shopems.com/webstore/webstore.nsf/SearchView?OpenView&query=fuel%20bottle&level=simple
) and nalgene bottles (originally styled for carrying drinking water but now available for fuel. Check https://www.dube.com/fire/5.html
) I don't have any real good solutions if you really want to carry your wicks presoaked. Paint cans are good, but opening and closing them will degrade the seal over time. If you go with the paint can, replace them often and carry them in a five gallon bucket with a sealable top and cat litter in the bottom to absorb any fuel. The best I can say is don't carry your wicks around already soaking. Sorry.

RolloTCBRONZE Member
11 posts

Posted:
I just wanted to reinforce what Diana said...DO NOT USE GLASS CONTAINERS FOR FUEL!!!As a friend who taught a fire safety class said, glass containers make shrapnel. If a flame gets too close to the container, the fuel heats up, the container will explode. Glass is not good thing to have flying around. :PAnother reason to not use glass is it is fragile. If it gets broken, or somebody accidentally breaks it, you get a lake of fuel. get fire anywhere near it, and you will get a lake of fire. NOT a good thing. :P