Forums > Technical Discussion > Don't be a sparkly poi hater!

Login/Join to Participate

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Before you guys rip on me for bringing up more sparkly poi stuff I did use the search :P Ok I tried sparklers..."LAME"... Diffacult to light only lasts a short time and damn it the sparks go out to soon!Everyone's been talking about the steel wool pads and saying they can be used and look cool. But no one has said how they can be attached to the chains and every time I've thought about it i've come up short. Also do you need to soak them in your fuel or do they just burn on thier own? Somethin tells me if I soak them and start spinning they would just launch fuel everywhere seeing as they are just metal strips. Should I use pads with soap in them or without?------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim Morrison

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
here here

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
The steel wool sparkly-poi that I saw used were put inside a specially-made wire "cage" which was attached to one length of chain. He (being Richard from England... hello!) used unsoaped steel wool - just the little clumps you can buy - not too compact... and dipped in fuel (not sure exactly which fuel he used) and then it took a little while to light up.warning - you need heaps of space for this one without spectators too close as you get sparks flying for maybe 20m on each side... but it looked amazing!

Belgarathmember
51 posts

Posted:
Havent herd of this one before but it got me thinking, if you wrap some steel wool around some standard fire poi with some wire it could work, the fuel would stay in the wicks leaving the flame to ignight the wool and presto flaming sparking poi!If anyone has tried anything like this please tell me about it.Will it work?Will it destroy my wicks?------------------The Sand...The Surf... The Flame.

The Sand...The Surf... The Flame.

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
I take it the wire cage you refer to is the same as the wire cage you make for towel wicks?

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC