newbiemember
3 posts

Posted:
I've just started spinning poi about a month ago, and have recently begun lighting them on fire. However, it seems like they only stay lit for about five minutes before I have to re-soak and re-light. How long do you pros soak your wicks, and what material are they? Any tricks to keep them lit longer?I picked mine up in Thailand, and are I believe the same sort the locals there use, so they ought not be too shoddy.I apologize in advance if this subject has been beaten to the ground in months past. Please refer me to the appropriate posting if this is so.cheers

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
You might want to search the board archives, because this has been discussed before.Fuel choice makes a big difference: white gas burns faster than kerosene or lamp oil.Your wicks also make a big difference. The real hardcore spinners use towel wicks, which are only good for a few burns, but which can give burns as long as 15 minutes. With kevlar wicks, depending on the exact design, construction, age, etc, you'll get longer or shorter burns, though the longest I've managed to get is under 9 minutes. Your twirling speed also makes a difference (faster=shorter).If you are using kevlar wicks, 5 minutes is a reasonable duration.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I wish i could afford to by kevlar wicks. since starting using fire i have used either old pairs of denim jeans (free rejects from charity shops)or canvas or denim from fabric shops £2.50 per square meter. i usualy leave them in to soak for 24 hrs to shirink the on the fire tool, then dip them for 2 minutes these last about 6\7 minutes depending on the speed. i usualy get about 18-20 hrs of use before they need replacing. ------------------Twist for the joy of it.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
David--If you're getting 20 hours of burn-time at 6 minutes per burn, that's 200 burns. That's awfully good performance for denim, and you probably wouldn't be any better off with kevlar.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Adamrice.I should of mentioned that the lenth of fabric is around 4ft long, wraped around a 3/4 inch pipe as tight as possible, also the 6/7 min fire time is the maxamim, doing a very slow routine. most of the rest is usualy around 4 minutes. the reason i get so long is i dont let the flame go out of its own acord. put it out with either a towel or as i do blow it out before all the fuel has evaporated then dip it straight away, which slows down the degroardation (i think thats the way you spell it) of the wick if you let the fire burn out of its own acord you can only get about 7/8 hours burn time plus loads of wick flying off. the denim i use is usualy the most course and thickest

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
David--I see--it's clear you take good care of your wicks (I'm pretty hard on mine). Even so, 7 hours of burn time sounds like excellent durability for denim.I suspect you'd get a bigger flame with kevlar wicking--it has more loft in the weave, and probably wicks the fuel out more efficiently--but for your unique apparatus, that might not be an advantage. You wouldn't have to worry about bits of wick going flying.