Page:
TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
Hey,have any of you tried those new photon lights called "RAV'N Lights"? Supposedly they use a tricolor bulb which either 'strobes' through the different colors (red, green, blue), or seamlessly changed between them ('ribbon'). Have any of you had any experience with either model? And idea of which one's better for spinning, or have any pics???

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

bhawkmember
48 posts

Posted:
I managed to get a pair of ribbon Rav'ns really cheap and I have to say, they are great for spinning. They'll attract a crowd even if all you do is just a forward weave. Ive already had a pair of the crystals that it comes with break after a short while, but luckily, u can buy replacements easily. Ive heard that the battery cover sometimes falls out. Personally I havent had this problem but if youre worried that it might happen, just wrap some clear tape around the lights. Oh yeah, they are kinda light, so if youre used to spinning heavier objects u might want to add weights at the end. I say if you can get them cheaply, (ie: 2 for $50 or less) buy them. Hopefully Ill get some pictures of them in action soon.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i saw some of those in a club the other day, i asked the girl if i could attach them to my strings and spn them, but she said no...(very rudely i might add)But they looked very nice. Clean light..if that makes sense.Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
She might have said no because they cost her a lot of money and she didn't want some person she didn't know, to use them and accidentally break them!Perhaps you were also the umpteenth person that asked her for a go that night.Happens to me all the time with my beaming poi. I've only recently learnt how to say no without feeling like a selfish bitch, although I still feel guilty for not sharing.Finn smile[This message has been edited by Finn (edited 08 July 2001).]

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
But there's still a big difference between "I'm sorry, I don't lend them out at all. They're very fragile and expensive," versus " No. Go away."In other words, you can refuse someone politely. And Superman said this girl was rude in her refusal.

soniqastmember
13 posts

Posted:
While these are definitly the coolest things on earth, (yes, teh forward swing beats any other move with just fire or glowsticks) they are the most fragile things on earth. My friend uses them for liquid dancing and I hooked a pair onto my strings. I broke each one once that night. The first time they clashed and the cover and batteries went flying across the lawn. We put it back togather and he let me use them again that night at a rave. I was doing a leaning move and one of them smacked the floor and one of the batteries was lost forever.If your really really good, use them.If your not a twirling guru, dont.

Computer games dont affect kids. If Pac Man affected us as kids, we would all be running around darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repativity.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i have seen both the strobe rav'n and the ribbon. id have to say the ribbon looks the best twirling. u can get them for about 20$ a piece at https://www.botachtactical.com/
click on search "photons".

Heathermember

Posted:
those sound cool!where can you get them?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Definitely worth the money! Though it is true about the crystals breaking easy you don't really need them. I took mine down to the drumming circle at Venice the other night and I couldn't believe the response they got!!! I had some guy offer me $50 for one of mine! (If only I had known about the site that sells them for $20 at the time but at the time it wasn't worth it since I paid $35). Anyways, great tip strObe! I've got a few friends who can afford two now thanks to you! I like having the combination of the strobe and the ribbon but most people like the ribbon one better. The weight is difficult to get used to since they are lighter than anything else you would spin but I like practice spinning different weights it seems to make me better over all. Buy them you won't regret it!

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
I finally got my RAV'N lights yesterday in the mail (whoever thought, UPS Ground could take so long??? lol)! I managed to grab a few quick shots with my digi-cam, and they turned out fairly decent.My observations: 1) Definitely don't use as a reading light (could give you a headache :P). 2) It flashes between the colors *amazingly* FaST, so that when you just turn it on without swinging it, it looks like a white strobe light. 3) When you swing it, you can actually tell the colors apart. 4) These things are no where as sturdy as the Photon II's, since it uses an advanced microchip and the connection's already loose from just dropping on hardwood kitchen floor frown 5) LOOKS HELLA TYTE!!! 6) The entire "color changing" thing looks out of this world! ~almost artificial~ ^_^NEwayz, I managed to put some pics up on a web page:RAV'N Photon Light PicsTell me what you think! smile------------------"Happiness is not a destination, but a method for life"- Burton Hills

jamiemember
21 posts

Posted:
TaiGuy, those pictures were ribbon not strobe, right? and do the crystals come with it from the https://www.botachtactical.com/
site?

SupaflyBRONZE Member
TNT
173 posts

Posted:
Hey Taiguy, cool pics. What everyone says is right about these lights. We used them on strings last weekend up in Chicago and of course lost the plastic caps to them. They are very fragile but DAMN do they look trippy. Saw some peeps combine them with glowsticks and red strobes while liquid dancing (made my evening).

Fear the evil monkey!

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
Yea jamie, the ones from botachtactical.com are the regular RAV'N lights, come with the standard packaging and everything smileYea, those crystals are a pain in the butt since they break so easily... Oh well... sooner or later i'd end up shelling more money out for those... And yes, those are the ribbons, the strobe version has a black gap between the colorsAlso, friend discovered neat little oddity... The green and blue lights alternate every other cycle so it's "BRBGRG" instead of "BRGBRG" strange... no? lol------------------"Happiness is not a destination, but a method for life"- Burton Hills

bhawkmember
48 posts

Posted:
Spanky, it aint bogus. I bought 2 from that site and got them for $47 with S/H. Not a bad deal. They came with the normal packaging and everything too. They even delivered fast. I highly recomend you buy them from that site as they are definetely a good deal.

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
Everyone says they are fragile is there a way of taping them up so if they hit something they won't break/but still be able to turn it on and off easily.

We are defined by the choices we make

jamiemember
21 posts

Posted:
my thoughts exactly nagan, if you tape them up with duct tape before you spin shouldn't that fix the problem? and thanks so much TaiGuy for answering my previous question, hope to hear from you soon.

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
I'm having one pain in the neck problem with them now though smile [may just be mine]I accidently dropped them on the kitchen floor, which is hardwood. At first they seemed fine, but with one of them flickering on and off. This stopped after I turned it off and then back on. But afterwards I've been having a bit of trouble trying to keep that one light from flickering (annoying). So I e-mailed the guy (bryan's his name) at photonlight.com. He's been more then helpful and told me that it probably was a loose connection and to bend the circuit board up a little bit to secure it. Doing that gave me a light that didn't flicker, but also wasn't bright (got dimmer somehow)... Couldn't have that now... So I rebent it back, and just added a few layers of electrical tape to the back of the battery cover. Worked! That was 2 days ago. Now, one of the lights when pressed on (and if you hold it) only displays the red LED, and the green and blue are non existent (so you see a flashing red LED), but when you let go it's fine... Not so simple, but if swung around, it also reverts back to that only red problem... annoying to say the least. The other one is dimmer (it's the one that had the flickering problem before). Don't get me wrong, they're great lights and look tyte at night, but the only time they've ever worked perfectly was the first night frown.I e-mailed bryan, and he said he'd be able to replace them (yay smile). So the Photon Light company really is bent on quality, which is a good thing! I just think that the RAV'N lights aren't sturdy enough to last for too long (especially if you hit them a lot, heck i only dropped them from 5 feet onto a wood floor). Great lights, just don't break them lol smileFYI------------------"Happiness is not a destination, but a method for life"- Burton Hills

jamiemember
21 posts

Posted:
well, my lights should arrive tomorrow, man what's the deal with no mail on sundays...anywayz, i bought a roll of duct tape, bout 100 ft, so if i wrap the rav'n lights in a huge ball of tape will that be enough?

jamiemember
21 posts

Posted:
my rav'n lights came today, they are the coolest things in the world, i can't wait to show them off, one started to do the blighting red thing, i noticed that when it appears to be blinking red, actually all the colors are there, just only the red is visible(when stationary) because it is requires the least voltage. i found that the metal piece that hooks the positive side of the top battery to the light had broken off when i had placed the batteries inside, so the lights were only getting 3 volts instead of 6, this explains why only the red could be lite to it's fullest, i found a way to wedge the broken piece back in and now everything works again, i am wondering if i should just fill the inside with hot glue so that nothing can move around anymore, any ideas? oh, and what crystals are people's favorites? and should i just hot glue my favorite one onto it so it won't come off? i have yet to have problems with battery cases or crystal's but so far i have only spun them while covered in tape(covering them in tape is very annoying when you need to fix conection problems in the inside), if no one has any objections in the next few days, i will fill the inside of my raving lights with hot glue so that nothing can move, then tape up the outside so nothing can break, the only problem that i can see in the future is changing the batteries, in which case the hot glue will be a pain in the ass, other rav'n light owners please post any advice/help you can provide, thanx

bhawkmember
48 posts

Posted:
If you want more protection, just wrap then once or twice in clear bubble wrap. Works great!jamie: I doubt hot glueing the crystals on would help. The crystals are pretty secure when theyre on the light but if you smack them together while spinning they will shatter so glueing them on wont be more than a pain to replace crystals.

jamiemember
21 posts

Posted:
yeah, i didn't really know the problem with the crystals till bout 5 minutes ago when they hit eachother, i thought the problem was just them falling off, in reality they shatter, but hey, now i know, and knowing is half the battle, speaking of knowing, does anyone know how long the batteries will last, or could anyone guess within 10 hours?[This message has been edited by jamie (edited 17 July 2001).]

shizN0Tmember
184 posts

Posted:
has any one had problems ordering from https://www.botachtactical.com/
?I placed an order about 5 days ago, and I still have not heard ANYTHING from them. I have emialed them several times, but still no reply. frown

I smell something burning.

Alagonmember
14 posts

Posted:
Same here man...I ordered them over a week ago and no reply to e-mails...Guess I should try to contact them again in a week. :>

rollinmember
3 posts

Posted:
Ordered 4 photons and 4 RAV'N lights from them on Monday, and got em on Wednesday. So I didn't have problems with them.Also means they must be based in California.

r@ll out!

shizN0Tmember
184 posts

Posted:
yeah, they dont seem to be good with customer service. I sent them like 5 emails, NEVER got a reply. I used the online live help... I got some one there. they told me its in the mail :-) I hope to have them monday

I smell something burning.

Code128member
69 posts

Posted:
Damm TaiGuy those pictures are outstanding. So very very cool

------------------
A.N.T.H.E.L.I.O.N

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
those pics are bad-ass..i could have hella-fun with those..'S"------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Alagonmember
14 posts

Posted:
Finally recieved e-mail.They're on their way. grin

Dr. Spinmember
15 posts

Posted:
I ordered mine about a week ago and they came in yesterday. I went nuts. Two streaming, two strobe, two red P2's and two blue. I like things that go _blink_ in the night :-) I ordered from Botach Tactical, no probs here. Tried spinning them last night and thought I was tripping my face off. I wrapped them in some bubble wrap with a thin rubberband and attached the key ring to the connector on my Zuni poi. Un-frickin-believable. Some of my friend thought I was off my rocker to drop that much coin on stupid little lights... until they saw them.Clark

Liquidmember
28 posts

Posted:
kmactane about the girl saying no to you about using her light at the club I asume you are a raver??? club kids just dont like us some times. i mean they ARE so much better than us ha ha

Lamarmember
53 posts

Posted:
If you attach them to the end of strings are they lighter or heavier than glowsticks? I would think heavier, but if their lighter then those suckers are going to be real easy to break.

Page: