NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
It does look better that i start switching of trick really fast ya know what i mean right??or staying for a while with one then switching to other and stay for a while??what does look better?i need info for the contest that will be done here pls help me guys=)

Dance like if noone were watching you

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
IMHO, i find staying on a move gets boring. I rarely ever stay on a move for more than 2 beats or 2 completions. What i find looks good is quick transitions to whatever moves you have.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
How about no beats on your moves. Just a rutine of pure transtions. That's what I'm working towards now a total breakdown of every move. So pretty much when you watch me you can't even tell if I'm doin a move or not. I'm also working on makin the planes of the moves random. Also making each arm do different transtions. Kinda like left doin a BF with the right arm weaves though it.------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

WuGgaRoOmember
123 posts

Posted:
Nightshade...i saw ur video...u do some nice junk...so keep doing whatever ur doing...and...staying in the same move just gets repetitive...so dont bother with staying in a move for a while..unless its a kik ass combo with three dif moves...u can use that for a while and it wont get tired

Follow Wuggarooism10)Dons't cheateth on thee's significant other9) If thou seest a pig that resembles thee's friend...dont eateth the pig...perhaps it is thee's friend8) If thou talkest shit..thou is a pansy7) Don't buttith into conversations for it will be over thous head6) Dont let stupid comments go unpunished they can only leadest to thous anyurysms5) Dont lie to your friends4) Thou areest what thou arest don't change thou for anyone 3) Masturbation isnt a crime2) When a horse comes up to thou and sayest baaa thou must run!1) Be excellent to eachother

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Sometimes you need to stay in the move for the effect, its doesnt always get boring, do what you think feels best, ask people who watch you twirl what looks good for your style.

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
With relation to the question at hand I think Frenzie is right. it ultimately depends on the individual's style and what suits it the best.more importantly, its about how it FEELS to the person doing the moves. It all comes from within and when you start concerning yourself too much with audience perspective you might lose your fluidity.I say this because I am currently undergoing a change in my twirling style. well, my style is always changing but I don't like where I'm at at the moment and I need to reflect on why that is. I watched the video of a performance we did on the weekend and I think the reason is this:I have been caring too much about audience perspective and have lost my fluidity as a result. whilst not losing myself within the firedancing, I've been more worried about looking repetitive and boring - as a result I'm doing too many transitions/change directions and not really giving any particular move an opportunity to flow. My mind has been full of "what move will I do next; have I already done this move" instead of just zoning out and finding the flow. I'm too conscious in my twirling...have to find that other level again - the level that doesn't consider "moves" and knows only fluidity. I used to be that way when I had fewer moves, but I must be at a point where technicality is more of a consideration than it used to be.I guess thats the mark of a good performer - someone who instinctively knows what looks good without having to surrender their zone.Its all a growing experience.------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
What video??? i havent made a video:P lol...anyhow thanks for yer time guys!! really! i apreciate it...i got other question.. when you dance with Trance music you know that the music got the same ryhtm for a while... okay??now i stay too much in a move cause of the ryhtm i dont find how to do many transitions to many moves with the same rythm.. i do transtions when the rythm change...ok when i dance without trance i do transitions like nuts... but my question is? i am doing it fine without doing many transitions?? i mean for the ryhtm.. or how do you change in the same ryhmt to other moves!??i mean if i try to change it my glowsticks wont gonna be at the ryhtm of the music for a momment!!!guys help me pls!!! im learning to dance with music smilemy style is making lot of transitions... but idont find how to do lot of transitions fast with the same rythnm.. i guess the only move i stay for a bit is the BTB weave and is cause it looks really cool... well at least i see it as that!other move i stay is maybe the backwarse weave... i noticed that if i saw my Backwarse weave is like a growing circle and reducing circle if you look it side to sidelol....well help me guys! smile[This message has been edited by NightShade1 (edited 21 September 2001).]

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
all I can suggest you do is stop thinking about it all too much.with enough practise all these things will transition in and out of your routine with ease.rome wasn't built in a day.I guess we're getting into an old debate that questions whether technicality is better than fluidity.. if you don't have a lot of tech moves, then maybe ask yourself, would you rather put a BTB 5 beat into your routine for the sake of it and chop it up, or would you rather stick with what you know and move with grace, precision and ease?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
i know rome wasn't built in a day as i said to someoneit just that i like this soo much!!!i wanna learn more and more and more!!!and i dont have close friends that know pois!just a friend of a guy on my classroom... HE KICK ASS frowni would like to practice with him but i really dont know him... just my classmate that know pretty much... i know as much as him (guess i can do more stuff than him) but his dancing is wayy better than mine... i need to know more ppl that does this... and get more in trance parties and stuff like that:Pi havent get too much in it maybe just myself alone cause i have been like what 3 months poing frown

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
having outside influences can definately do wonders for your poiing.I spun alone for about 4 years - was stuck in a major rut. Then I met lots of fire people and I have been constantly learning new stuff and developing my style since then.Its so hard to make new friends as an adult...why don't you take advantage of common interest and approach your classmate's friend and become practise buddies?[This message has been edited by flash fire (edited 21 September 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
he doesnt practice too much that.. he is on breakdance... thats his interest... my interest is glowdance.. i find it more interesting.. thats the problem..im teaching to one of my friends to poi.. but he is just starting.. frown so i cant really learn from him nothing but im trying to make him learn faster... so then he will help me to get new combos and stuff ya know:Pbut that will take some time..

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
It sounds to me like your trying to rush yourself and thats when problems accur. Let yourself go with the music, close your eyes and listen to the beat and then start poi-ing, slow at first and try and catch the feel of it.Wont be easy, and not all music styles are perfect for poi-ing to, i love poi-ing to psytrance, and usually im able to just "let go" and go nuts with the poi, but its taken me a while to get where i am!

mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
OK, transitions vs repetition, this may read a bit weird but anyway...What I'm thinking is, take a nice bit of trance, say. It'll have a combinaton of transition vs repetitions within it. So if what we do is fire-dancing, which is my take on it, then the balance between reps and trans is going to come from the music. Ebb & flow, convergence & divergence, tension and release, all the great hippy principles :-)An example. A nice bit of music might go for several bars of machine repetition, followed by one bar of breakdown, and back to the repetition, with some new element inthere.think...doosh doosh doosh doosh(weave weave weave weave)doosh doosh doosh doosh(weave weave weave weave)doosh doosh doosh doosh(weave weave weave weave)bibeda bibeda bibeda wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!(total meltdown rapid transition nuts bit with btb's overheads, split-times the lot)and it's the slightly hypnotic effect of the repetitions that makes the nuts meltdown at the end stick out like a mountain.so, for me, constant change doesn't do it, total lack of change doesn't do it, dynamic variety gets me right there. Trust the music.mikeyB

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
MikeyB, you're speaking my language :P*grin*

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
I reckon too many transitions would just look a bit crazy. I think you need to do a few reps of a move before anyone 'sees' it. I agree with mikeyb - a build up is great. Saying this though, I realise some people are going to think 'transitions all the way'. In the end it's up to you. Whatever feels right for the time, the music, the audience etc. And it also brings us back to the old issue of whether you're performing for the benefit of others or for your own entertainment...In the end it just comes down to an individual's style, which I suppose you have to work out for yourself...FP xx

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Staying on a move just so the audience "sees" it... i dunno, if you think about it, all poi is really, is manipulating where circles move around your body in different ways. So putting the circle in as many different places would logically make it look better because of varitety. I dunno, thats how i look at it.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
Each to their own... smile