FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
skichristianMember Posts: 132From: Anchorage, Alaska USARegistered: Mar 2001 posted 25 June 2001 10:46 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Well How is every one? I haven't been on the board in a long time! I have a few things to talk about:1) How do you use your fuel? I pour my wicks with lamp oil into a paint can. It saves oil, and it doesn't hurt the enviornment when i don't have to "Spin Off" a ton of oil. I feel Lamp oil is the best thing after Karo. However Karo has a Bad smell so I use Unsented Lamp oil.2)How do you Store you pois and Fire equiptment? I now have a rectangle duffle bag i keep my stuff in. Stuff including; a Fire Extingisher, lamp oil, extra pois, fire breathing tools, extra towels, plastic shopping bages, first aid kit (small for Burns) and tools like plyers, scizzors, ect.(the burlap bag is Gone KT )This is where you tell how you conserve, and maintain your fire habit. IP: Logged adamriceMember Posts: 302From: Austin TX USARegistered: Dec 2000 posted 25 June 2001 11:39 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------I use lamp oil. I don't like the soot and smell of kerosene.I have a plastic soaking tub--I have two pairs of wicks, and always have (at least) one pair soaking when I'm doing fire. So yeah, I do have to spin off a lot of fuel. I'm bad.I have what I think of as a "wet kit" and a "dry kit": the wet kit is everything that's going to get wet (either with water or fuel), and the dry kit, well, that's the rest.Wet kit:- Bucket (the whole wet kit fits in this)- Fuel jug- Soaking tub- Fire wicks- Towel- FunnelDry kit:- Poi (with practice wicks)- Tools- Lighter- Spare parts, glowsticks, etc- Camera (optional)I usually carry my dry kit in a small backpack. My bucket lives on the back deck. IP: Logged kmactaneMember Posts: 37From: San Francisco, CA, USARegistered: Apr 2001 posted 26 June 2001 06:51 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------I use a metal dish/bowl thing. I generally practice with a few other people, so we just pour a bunch of fuel into that container, and people soak as necessary. It's big enough to soak four wicks in at once.Okay, this does mean we spin off a lot of fuel, but the environment around us is asphalt and concrete; it's not gonna be bothered. For fuel, we're using kero, sometimes adulterated by Coleman fuel for a brighter/hotter burn (and easier lighting).For storage, I just put the burned-out wicks in the metal container, and put the whole shebang in the garage. I understand that soaking them in some fuel for storage will help them last longer, but that also seems to me like a potential safety hazard.--Kai.IP: Logged skichristianMember Posts: 132From: Anchorage, Alaska USARegistered: Mar 2001 posted 26 June 2001 12:35 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Adamrice,I love the Idea of the dry / wet thing. My bags always get so dirty after a while and reak of feul. that sounds good and i think i can fit the bucket in the duffle bag.Kai, its not bad that you soke and spinn off, and I like the mix to start things off. but I hate to see so much fuel waisted on the earth. Pavement! you should light circles around you, do this by putting more white gass in the mix, and don't spinn off so much. Start off your show by outlinning circles on the ground. the white gass should stay on the ground and stay lit.you can also make disigns with white gass or lighter fluid and light it up while spinning. Although I don't like spinning purly with White Gass. I Do Think It Has Its Uses

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
1) I like to put my fuel in a glass jar with a screw on lid (eg, peanut butter)so in between soaking my wicks my fuel doesn't evaporate. I usually use kero 'cause it's cheapest, but I also like using Meth with some boric acid mixed in it to give a nice green flame (about 2tbl spn per ltr). If you have trouble lighting up kero quickly, get a mini blowtorch.2)I keep my stuff in a laptop bag, there are little individual compartments which I can put my different fuels, extinguisher, etc, in. Also, it being leather it can be cleaned easily and is not flammable. I usually put cardboard toilet rolls over my wicks to stop getting carbon on stuff like car seats.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
1) I like to put my fuel in a glass jar with a screw on lid (eg, peanut butter)so in between soaking my wicks my fuel doesn't evaporate. I usually use kero 'cause it's cheapest, but I also like using Meth with some boric acid mixed in it to give a nice green flame (about 2tbl spn per ltr). If you have trouble lighting up kero quickly, get a mini blowtorch.2)I keep my stuff in a laptop bag, there are little individual compartments which I can put my different fuels, extinguisher, etc, in. Also, it being leather it can be cleaned easily and is not flammable. I usually put cardboard toilet rolls over my wicks to stop getting carbon on stuff like car seats. [This message has been edited by Pele (edited 02 July 2001).]

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
Though Im new to the wonderful world of fire, I am an organizational nut and clean freak, so Ive got a good package going. I have a milk crate, which holds two shiny silver paint cans. I use kero so far. Havent experimented with lamp oil yet. I have a metal grill type thing that is molded to the top of a paint can, so after Im done soaking a pair of wicks, I can let them drip dry over my other can. The milk crate holds all my wicks, and I have I guess a dry kit, with all my tools, chains, etc. Its a shave bag actually, but it works. smileI have a large plastic bag for transporting y used wicks until I get home where I can properly store them in fuel. Other than that, I still have a lot of gear. I carry a backpack, with all my other poi and toys, along with music, towel, camera, etc. I also carry 40 rechargeable D batteries!!! shocked Along with my boombox which eats up juice like there is no tomorrow. frownIm working on getting a fire extinguisher, but for now... Peace, respect...------------------We are not physical beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.~Edgar Cayce

Wow

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
My kit is simply a damp towel, a 1.4 litre stainless steel tin, mini fire extinguisher, aloe vera gel and fuel containers.My biggest issue is transport for the fuel, I've got a backpack than can hold my usual 20 to 30 litres, and i tend to unicyle to my gigs if they are in town, or from the taxi if they aren't. If I'm going more than a kilometre, I tend to need a rest and an energy drink before i start...------------------Charles Dolbel

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

FruManmember
2 posts

Posted:
For all you Neat Freaks out there (I mean YOU Shibaki!):Its all about plastic sandwich bags and heavy-duty ziplocks. Given I don't carry much accessories (like y'all do: tools, spare parts, a friggen FUNNEL (no hard feelins adamrice, eh? I'm a big fan of your gear)) I carry zippo and leather straps in pocket or anywhere, also nalgene fuel bottle from dube anywhere, a pair of cut-open sox in either type of bag.Wicks in sandiwch bag with bag rubber-banded or hair-elasticized around it for minor attempt at sealing fuel residue or soot, then that (usually with chains attached) each in their own bag, then the two together in a heavy but small ziplock (1qt size).A small glass dipping jar (coined PB style by Pyro the Berzerker) with that in a 1qt ziplock. I just completed a weeklong trip out of town and it statyed beautifully. bags need occaisional replacing, but us neat freaks liike it that way, eh?Also, if using any type of cheap plastic bottle (i.e. soda or spring water type) always keep in fresh 1gal siz ziplock cuz they don't hold like the nalgene. And of course, white gas is neater cuz it just evaporates when spilled, heheh. Pouring liquid from the nifty nalgene spout into my lil dipping jar reduces excess fuel use and then I tilt the jar and gradually turn the wicks the get a full soak, and there in usually very little spin-off. Just face it guyz, there's no way around it. I generally carry all of this stuff in whatever bag I'm traveling with cuz its all decently self contained.Dats all from me, stay clean,Greg------------------"On a Journey To Anywhere we can draw our own map."-Ugly Duckling[This message has been edited by FruMan (edited 02 July 2001).]

On a Journey To Anywhere we can draw our own map.-Ugly Duckling

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
Shibaki--I just tried some lamp oil last night. It's a lot like kero, with the differences (that I noticed) being: It's "cleaner" -- less smoke, less soot, no kero odor. It's not totally odorless; while I didn't reall ynotice any smell while I was burning, I did note some kind of "different" smell afterwards, while my safety was cooling down my wicks. It definitely burns brighter. Or maybe it just looks that way, because there's no smoke and soot to absorb part of the light of the flame? Either way, it definitely looked brighter than kero to me. (Though not as bright as white gas or Coleman fuel.) It may have burned a little hotter than kero, or that may have just been my subjective impression, based partly on the greater light released. It definitely seemed to burn at least as long as kero (though I didn't actually time it).So, in essence, it's basically kero, only a little brighter and cleaner, but minus that wonderful kerosene smell that so many of us have come to know and love. smile (Also, it's even more poisonous than normal kero, and should totally not be used for fire breathing. When I say it's "cleaner", I mean only the appearance of the flame, not how good it is for people or the environment!)Hope that helps.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Actually, Fruman, apart from my bucket, I've fit all the gear I need (and then some) into a small-ish backpack and ridden my bike to a gig (though riding 5 miles in leather pants on a hot day, well, you get the idea). My bucket, however, is big--5 gal (19 l), and is a little too bulky to fit on my rack. I've thought about getting a collapsible camping bucket to be more portable.A funnel is not an outrageous luxury--it cost about US$1, takes up no extra space (it fits in my soaking tank with my wicks, which in turn fits in my bucket along with a gallon jug of fuel), and lets me return fuel to my fuel jug from the soaking tank without spilling it all over the ground.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
I agree on the funnel. My kit is fairly minimal (largely due to monetary considerations), but a funnel is part of it.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Right on you guys, thanks for submitting the secerts of your fire handling tecnequs.If any one elts wants to submit any more please do. I love hearing about others fire safty.

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

fire~pixienewbie
1 post

Posted:
well, these posts are kind of old..but wanted to reply about the spin-off on the ground issue...I use a seperate paintcan from my fuel can..with a vegetable steamer in the bottom of it. You know those ones that open and close up like a flower?They can be found easily at thrift stores. They fit perfectly in the bottom of the can and sit up a bit higher then the bottom. So, when I perform I can set my soaked poi into this can, wrap my chains around my hand a couple of times, grab the handle of the paint can and give it a couple good full-arm circle turns. This spins the fuel back into the bottom of the paint can and can be dumped back into your fuel container for later use! There is typically almost a cup of fuel in there!! Thus making zero fuel touching the ground and none wasted. Now I'm ready to spin and don't have and excess fuel flying around...~happy spinning!

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
wow!
mad props to fire~pixie for a mighty bump

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Nice idea fire~pixie! Now why didn't I think of that.. ?

Cake or Death?