Forums > Technical Discussion > Re: Diana the Huntress and flame transferring.

Login/Join to Participate

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hi guys, after reading that Diana can do flame transfer, I WANNA DO IT TOO! I've seen Samoans do it reguarly but have never been able to do it successfully. I tend to use kero or (more often) pegasol, is it harder with these fuels. A full description of a successful transfer and any other hints and tips would be awesome...------------------Charles Dolbel

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I believe the faq is coming, it will be a few weeks though as the volunteers need time to finish writing it.ade

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I'm working on the faq now Charles (thanks Ade) though it is going slow due to time constraints. I just taught Peregrine to trail last weekend as a matter of fact. I personally find it harder to trail and transfer with the more oily based than with white gas but I had her start with the lamp oil/kerosene just to get the feel of the flame and to get accustomed to the proximity and such. Other key things, start on the back of arms, the palm or your hand or the top of your shin, as these are less sensative areas than others to first attempt on, and shave your hair in those area first (though if you have hairy palms I am frightened grin). More details will be in the faq, I am just too tired for it now. SOrry. frownTake care...------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
yes no more hair on my arms now...maybe thats why guys look on somewhat aghast? winkI thought we were using coleman fuel?Pere

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
We were using coleman the second time on through, but I had oil on the first torch so that you would get used to it without the heat and sometimes sting that can accompany the initial trail. Yay on the arms to btw!!!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey, bro, thanks for the flattering response. Until the FAQ comes out I want to leave you with some stern auntie suggestions. Please consider what it is that brings you to want this skill. The actual and conceptual are very different. IMHO, it's *not* enough to think a transfer looks cool. You have to be ready for how it's going to feel. You have to be ready to handle what it does to you physiologically. You have to be ready for how much risk of burning yourself you're going to take every time you light up. You have to reckon with the fact that the toxicity of these fuels is absorbed through skin contact. You have to know you need to interact with fire that closely. You have to *need* to do it. If you are not commanded to do it, leave it alone. If you are, my blessings to you. Diana

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, you sound just like me on the subject of firebreathing...So i guess i better listen to the expert.As for absorption through the skin, I tend to splatter myself and get my hands slippery with fuel everytime I do a gig, so i'm probably absorbing too much already (not to mention the smoke we all breath in each time).As far as burns go, that might be why i can't do it. I'm trying to do it fast enough that I don't get burnt (i hate burns).But yes, would really like to learn if only to say i've done it once, and it hurt, and was stupid, and i'll probably never do it again.On the burn/skin absorption point, it must be easier to do something similar with a leatherwristband or something eklse that will stuill look cool from distance or up close by the crowd.I tend to do things that non-firedancers are impressed with for my shows so impressing the experts isnt such a big deal.Cheers------------------Charles Dolbel

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Here's a good tip for all you peeps who are sloppy like Charles and myself and wind up covered in kero: Apply a liberal coating of hand lotion and thoroughly work it into your hands before getting dirty. There is an Avon product called "Silicone Glove" which works particularly well for this. This is an old auto mechanic's trick and it really does work to limit the amount of solvents that work into your skin.-p.

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
One time in highschool my buddy who was in chem honors concocted a mixture of 90% alcohol and 10% somethign else im not sure but it was a super cooling effect. to make a long story short we ended up dumping this stuff on ourselves and we ran through the school on fire (rammestein style) it was kinda funny the flames lasted maybe 30 seconds... and because of the cool jelly stuff he had in the mixture it didnt burn our skin... it was neat...thought you might like to know...------------------A Faeries Heart Beats Fierce and Free!!!!!

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.