Forums > Technical Discussion > How fragile are Photon lights?

Login/Join to Participate

bhawkmember
48 posts

Posted:
Hey,I was planning on buying a couple green or blue-green photon microlight II to use because glowsticks are kinda hard to get for me. Ive heard that although they are supposed to be very durable they can still break easily when being swung around on strings. I think Ive gotten to the point where the worst hits they would take is when Im doing wraps or the occasional hit with each other when doing a butterfly. Are they worth it?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
nope i had some they are not worth it. the smaalest hit can mess up the switch.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i don't own them but i plan to in the near future(before electric daisy carnival june 30th HUGE MASSIVE!)anyways, i usually nd up "borrowing" them from my friends and i've never had 1 break on me yet even though they are fragile and will do so if repeatedly(i think that's spelled right)smacked ino each other but like they said in an earlier post, u can buy replacement switches and stuff on the website. plus the bulbs are guarenteed not to break by a lifetime warranty by the manufacturer peeps. aLSO try the rav'n party/ravelights. the bulbs are a bit bigger and have an incredible strobing feature that i observed last night at SANCTUARY(my first and best underground, held in an abandoned soap factory!!) the trails go perfectly into 1 another and u get a wonderful 3 or 4 color trail, but they are best used with more than 1. the best 1 i saw last night was about 4 on a string(if u know what i'm talkng about u'll agree when u see it). well that's all i could really think of right now, just stopping by and all but if you want some more tips or enjoy discussing photons/glowsticks go to the glowstringing section of the messageboards at www.iloveraving.com and if u wanna meet some nice ravers go to the location specific forums on the same page. hope i could help!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
the new photon3 lights use a different kind of switch that wont break, same as Rav'n Lights, which change color when you move them, *awsome*, and there is no switch, just press once to turn on, press again to turn off. the new photons will also strobe... smile

bhawkmember
48 posts

Posted:
hmmm... Im not sure If I should get them now. The idea was to get them to replace glowsticks, since I hate having to replace them, but if these lights break and I have to get replacements often, it would defeat the whole purpose. Photon 3 and Rav'n lights are cool (i really wanna get rav'n lights) but they are expensive, i can get photon 2s for about $11. Maybe Ill save up and buy a couple Rav'n ribbon lights. BTW, how do the trails on the photons compare to the trails on glowsticks? (a picture would be great)

pyro_teknikmember
51 posts
Location: england wiltshire under stonehenge with the fire f...

Posted:
what are rav'n ribbons? any websites or info would be greatly appreciatedcheers smile

handlebar moustaches are funny :)

bhawkmember
48 posts

Posted:
Rav'n lights are very cool high intesity LED lights that make cool patterns when moved around. There are 2 different types of Rav'n: strobe and ribbon. Go to https://www.photonlights.com/ravn/index.html
for more info

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
The Rav'n things look pretty the heck cool, but at nearly $80 for a pair they had better be as cool as they look! Anyone have any actual experience with them?-p.

tricky56member
23 posts

Posted:
ok, here is the deal, photon lights are amazing. don't worry bout them breaking, they probably will, but you can send them back to the company in almost all cases, and they will fix them for free. Also, don't buy them from a store, buy them from Botach Tactical cause they are like half the pricewww.Botachtactical.com

bhawkmember
48 posts

Posted:
Tricky56 you are god! That website sells rav'n lights for $20! Thats cheaper than eBay!! Arg! now I dont know if I should get 4 photon II or 2 Rav'n...

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
If your looking to spin light's, I have been using cool neon wire wrapped around various things, and have been spinning them for month's, two AA's powers about 6.6 ft ove the noen wire, it comes in nine colors and some in various thickneses,, check out https://www.coolneon.com
it's cheap and looks cool wrapped in spirals,,[This message has been edited by flash fire (edited 27 June 2001).]

pyro_teknikmember
51 posts
Location: england wiltshire under stonehenge with the fire f...

Posted:
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!only problem is i live in the uk and dont have a credit card but will find a way to get round that !!!phil 'pyro_teknik' smile

handlebar moustaches are funny :)

bhawkmember
48 posts

Posted:
I just thought of something! Ill just wrap the Rav'n lights (and maybe the crystal too) with some clear bubble wrap and hold it together with a little tape. How could I have not thought of this before!? (Im sure Im not the first to think of this anyways) That should hopefully protect them some.BTW, tricsk8, that wire looks very cool. Do you by any chance have pictures of the wire spinning?

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Some ideas just make good sense... I've got my homebrew LED poi wrapped with bubble wrap, which was conveniently shipped *with* my LED order. ;-)Another thing about a bubblewrap wrap - it will increase air drag w/o increasing weight, thereby slowing down their speed and making them a little easier to control.-p.

tricky56member
23 posts

Posted:
ok, another really cool thing to do is get glow in the dark sponge balls, and attach the photon lights to your chains so that they rest on the balls when you are spinning. sorry, I'm sure this is really confussing. The balls ar about an 1/8 of an inch thick, and look like they are made up of little pellets. That's wht I use for most performances indoors, and they are also really good for practice cause they don't hurt at all.

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
Which Rav'n lights would look better for spinning? the ribbon or strobe?

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff