Forums > Technical Discussion > I wanna buy a set of fire poi

Login/Join to Participate

hafsha1member
35 posts

Posted:
Ok, I have been spinning my streamers for long enough and glowsticks are just to damn light [weight] for me; I want some pizazz! I believe the time for fire has come but what to get? Ok, the question: which set of fire poi (form this website) do you think are best for the fire set? Choices include (but are not limited to): 2.5 in vs. 4 in. heads and fyre fly vs/ pure flame style. Every response is very much appreciated.Thanks,Hessam

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
dude,my personal preference is large wick, with link chain. but like Malcolm said, everyone is different - some ppl even like using cable! winkJosh

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
If you're feeling like the glowsticks are just too light, then don't get the 2.5 inch Fyre Flies. I bought a pair of those as my first fire poi, after practicing with Zuni, and found that they were so damn light, I just couldn't use them. I've never actually done a burn with them, in fact; I felt I'd be in serous danger if I did, because they were so light I could hardly control them.I'd advise checking around the site and seeing what's heaviest, or perhaps, what's closest in weight to whatever you've been practicing with.Honestly, I hate to say this, because I don't want to drive any business away from this site, but... I just checked through the shop, and I notice all the fire poi there have tube-core wicks. I don't like them. I'm much more partial to cathedral or interleave wicks. There have been some threads about that in the Technical Discussion forum. In general, I've had much better results in nearly all ways from interleaves (aka cathedrals). The usual construction (at elast in my neighborhood) involves a steel eyebolt down the center, which gives it some weight. It also makes a bigger and longer-lasting flame.I will say this: Malcolm, do you suppose you could get any interleave wicks available on the site? I'd love to be able to recommend some particular poi or set of parts or something. (As it is, I happily and frequently direct people to this site for more information about poi and fire. It's an excellent site in all respects, I just don't like tube-core wicks.)

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
I got the 2.5 inch Pure Flame from this site and had the same problem: they were way too light. Then again, it's probably because i like to spin slowly and if you're used to spinning sticks, you may find that the Pure Flames are good for you. Because this was my first set of fire poi, I went for the 2.5 inch wicks thinking "i don't need anything bigger than that for now". Fuck it, get the 4 inch right away! The flames on 2.5 are small and burn out way too fast.Nomad

daskmember
53 posts

Posted:
My advise is buy a lot of 4 inch wick and do your poi yourself !!!It will be cheaper, I promise you'll have lots of fun to construct your own and if you find it too heavy or too light or too long you'll know how to fix it in a few minutes.PLUS you will gain some DIY skills which is usefull in everyday life grin Another advise is buy the handles on this site because they are very good !!!Good luck !!!

o]-[DasK]-[o

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
FYI -- if you only want one or maybe two sets of poi, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SAVE ANY $$$ BY MAKING YOUR OWN POI! Trust me on this one, ok?I know this because I was *given* six foot of kevlar wick from a friend and I spent more on parts and tools to build my first set of fire poi than it would have cost to just buy a pre-made set. I spent one afternoon/evening scrounging parts, and then another building the first set.So, why did I make my own set? Well, I was not able to find anything on the web that was exactly what I wanted. I liked parts of some designs, and other parts of other designs. And, well, I'm just an extremely picky enginerd. I also guessed that I would be building a bunch of sets for all the other local fire peeps. I never figured I would get so carried away...My current personal gear includes six pair of assorted kevlar wicks, two pair of sparkler poi, one 60 in. single staff, and two 36 in. batons. And that's just the fire gear.-p.

daskmember
53 posts

Posted:
Hi,PJ is right if you have to buy the tools it won't be cheaper to make your own poi.But maybe you can borrow them to someone ?And If you are better than pj at DIY wink you can make your one set from scratch in 2 hours (with the adapted tools only) + count 2h to find the needed pieces in your local DIY shop.

o]-[DasK]-[o

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I have been using glowsticks for about 2 months now. last weekend I made a "Booty" set of fire poi just to try it out. I used a 2 inch wooden dowel w/ cotten rope screwed to it. a eye hook w/ a washer. 2 E guitar strings and 2 keychain rings. Like I said, its booty, but it works. smileIm gonna have to buckle down and buy the real deal soon though

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
Malcolm:Oh, cool. I'm glad to see you've gto cathedral wicks -- I completely missed those in my travels through the Shop. And I'm sorry to have given bad advice/info. No harm done, I hope!Do you know if Fyre Fly makes any larger cathedral wicks, using longer (not wider!) strips of Kevlar?PJ: I totally agree that if you're only making one or two sets, you'll spend more on parts and tools than you'd save. But then, being an "enginerd" myself, I also agree that I really like having equipment that I've made myself. That way, I know it, from top to bottom.Shizaun: if you're used to glowsticks, then the Fyre Fly tube-core wicks should be no problem for you. I recall that Hafsha1 was saying glowsticks were too light for hir, but everyone's different...

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
(Sorry for bumping old topics, I juss didn't feel like makin' another hehe *praises the Search Function*)Okay, this topic was very helpful for me. I was originally thinking about getting the 2.5 inch wicks, now I'm gonna buy the 4 inch ones. Problem: Yea *bows head in shame for his lack of skill to make things* I am going to buy them...The 4" wicks don't come with Ball Chain. And I don't know weather to buy single wick or double. Should I go single for just my first set?//Edit// Changed the spaces between the paragraphs[This message has been edited by Kinudin (edited 24 February 2002).]

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Double poi are (amazingly!) twice as heavy as single fire poi. Also if the chain isn't that long if does make a difference to the spin as you don't realise how close the chains get until you add a wick up high and they start clashing!However extra wicks do look damn good! I have a pair of cathedral wick doubles, which I love!So, if you can spin heavy then go for the double.

1,325 posts

Posted:
Would spinning three glowsticks on each string fairly quickly be heavy enough for the double poi?ThanksKinudin

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Three glowsticks on a side won't even approximate the weight of single poi--Six, maybe.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

1,325 posts

Posted:
shocked shocked shocked *twitch* I don't own six glowsticks... I'll buy the single then. Thanks yas all!Kinudin grin grin grin[This message has been edited by Kinudin (edited 24 February 2002).]