• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Technical Discussion > I wanna buy a set of fire poi

Login/Join to Participate

hafsha1

Total posts: 35
Posted:Ok, I have been spinning my streamers for long enough and glowsticks are just to damn light [weight] for me; I want some pizazz! I believe the time for fire has come but what to get? Ok, the question: which set of fire poi (form this website) do you think are best for the fire set? Choices include (but are not limited to): 2.5 in vs. 4 in. heads and fyre fly vs/ pure flame style. Every response is very much appreciated.Thanks,Hessam

Delete Topic

Malcolm
SAPPHIRE Member since Nov 2003

Malcolm

HOP admin

Total posts: 1002
Posted:Hessam,Buy them all
Non-Https Image Link
Really I quite like the pure flame. 4inch gives a bigger flame and more fun.There are heaps of sets out there on this site and on others. Really it will depend on what options you are wanting.eg Steel wire, ball chain, link chain, tube wick, cathedral wick....We are all different so don't forget the option of also making your own unique set
Non-Https Image Link
RegardsMalcolm

"May your balls always burn"

Delete

Posted:dude,my personal preference is large wick, with link chain. but like Malcolm said, everyone is different - some ppl even like using cable!
Non-Https Image Link
Josh

Delete

kmactane

Total posts: 97
Posted:If you're feeling like the glowsticks are just too light, then don't get the 2.5 inch Fyre Flies. I bought a pair of those as my first fire poi, after practicing with Zuni, and found that they were so damn light, I just couldn't use them. I've never actually done a burn with them, in fact; I felt I'd be in serous danger if I did, because they were so light I could hardly control them.I'd advise checking around the site and seeing what's heaviest, or perhaps, what's closest in weight to whatever you've been practicing with.Honestly, I hate to say this, because I don't want to drive any business away from this site, but... I just checked through the shop, and I notice all the fire poi there have tube-core wicks. I don't like them. I'm much more partial to cathedral or interleave wicks. There have been some threads about that in the Technical Discussion forum. In general, I've had much better results in nearly all ways from interleaves (aka cathedrals). The usual construction (at elast in my neighborhood) involves a steel eyebolt down the center, which gives it some weight. It also makes a bigger and longer-lasting flame.I will say this: Malcolm, do you suppose you could get any interleave wicks available on the site? I'd love to be able to recommend some particular poi or set of parts or something. (As it is, I happily and frequently direct people to this site for more information about poi and fire. It's an excellent site in all respects, I just don't like tube-core wicks.)

Delete

Malcolm
SAPPHIRE Member since Nov 2003

Malcolm

HOP admin

Total posts: 1002
Posted:
Non-Https Image Link
kmactane, Yes, we do have cathedral wicks as shown above on our site. However we have not got a complete poi set with them on.See Cathedral wick heads.The weight is 260gm without fuel for these cathedral wicks.Remember that kevlar wick is actually very light weight. The weight comes from the bolts or tube cores and the fuel that is soaked into the fuel.I would also go on to comment that if you swing slowly you will need more weight for control. Long heavy chain poi are normally swung quite slowly. Short light weight poi can be swung much faster. It all comes down to your style I guess and how much money you want to spend.I would stock other types of fire poi if I had a supplier. I have contacted people in the past if I can sell their product but they have never replied. Not many people are set up as real "manufacturers". I am always looking out for good product to sell through the site. If you know someone ask them to contact me
Non-Https Image Link
I'd love to provide more choices.

"May your balls always burn"

Delete

nomad
BRONZE Member since Jan 2001

nomad

retired

Total posts: 356
Posted:I got the 2.5 inch Pure Flame from this site and had the same problem: they were way too light. Then again, it's probably because i like to spin slowly and if you're used to spinning sticks, you may find that the Pure Flames are good for you. Because this was my first set of fire poi, I went for the 2.5 inch wicks thinking "i don't need anything bigger than that for now". Fuck it, get the 4 inch right away! The flames on 2.5 are small and burn out way too fast.Nomad

Delete

dask

Total posts: 53
Posted:My advise is buy a lot of 4 inch wick and do your poi yourself !!!It will be cheaper, I promise you'll have lots of fun to construct your own and if you find it too heavy or too light or too long you'll know how to fix it in a few minutes.PLUS you will gain some DIY skills which is usefull in everyday life
Non-Https Image Link
Another advise is buy the handles on this site because they are very good !!!Good luck !!!

o]-[DasK]-[o

Delete

pj

Total posts: 277
Posted:FYI -- if you only want one or maybe two sets of poi, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SAVE ANY $$$ BY MAKING YOUR OWN POI! Trust me on this one, ok?I know this because I was *given* six foot of kevlar wick from a friend and I spent more on parts and tools to build my first set of fire poi than it would have cost to just buy a pre-made set. I spent one afternoon/evening scrounging parts, and then another building the first set.So, why did I make my own set? Well, I was not able to find anything on the web that was exactly what I wanted. I liked parts of some designs, and other parts of other designs. And, well, I'm just an extremely picky enginerd. I also guessed that I would be building a bunch of sets for all the other local fire peeps. I never figured I would get so carried away...My current personal gear includes six pair of assorted kevlar wicks, two pair of sparkler poi, one 60 in. single staff, and two 36 in. batons. And that's just the fire gear.-p.

Delete

dask

Total posts: 53
Posted:Hi,PJ is right if you have to buy the tools it won't be cheaper to make your own poi.But maybe you can borrow them to someone ?And If you are better than pj at DIY
Non-Https Image Link
you can make your one set from scratch in 2 hours (with the adapted tools only) + count 2h to find the needed pieces in your local DIY shop.

o]-[DasK]-[o

Delete

Posted:I have been using glowsticks for about 2 months now. last weekend I made a "Booty" set of fire poi just to try it out. I used a 2 inch wooden dowel w/ cotten rope screwed to it. a eye hook w/ a washer. 2 E guitar strings and 2 keychain rings. Like I said, its booty, but it works.
Non-Https Image Link
Im gonna have to buckle down and buy the real deal soon though

Delete

kmactane

Total posts: 97
Posted:Malcolm:Oh, cool. I'm glad to see you've gto cathedral wicks -- I completely missed those in my travels through the Shop. And I'm sorry to have given bad advice/info. No harm done, I hope!Do you know if Fyre Fly makes any larger cathedral wicks, using longer (not wider!) strips of Kevlar?PJ: I totally agree that if you're only making one or two sets, you'll spend more on parts and tools than you'd save. But then, being an "enginerd" myself, I also agree that I really like having equipment that I've made myself. That way, I know it, from top to bottom.Shizaun: if you're used to glowsticks, then the Fyre Fly tube-core wicks should be no problem for you. I recall that Hafsha1 was saying glowsticks were too light for hir, but everyone's different...

Delete

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)

veteran

Total posts: 1325
Posted:(Sorry for bumping old topics, I juss didn't feel like makin' another hehe *praises the Search Function*)Okay, this topic was very helpful for me. I was originally thinking about getting the 2.5 inch wicks, now I'm gonna buy the 4 inch ones. Problem: Yea *bows head in shame for his lack of skill to make things* I am going to buy them...The 4" wicks don't come with Ball Chain. And I don't know weather to buy single wick or double. Should I go single for just my first set?//Edit// Changed the spaces between the paragraphs[This message has been edited by Kinudin (edited 24 February 2002).]

Delete

Dom
BRONZE Member since Dec 2001

Dom

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3009
Posted:Double poi are (amazingly!) twice as heavy as single fire poi. Also if the chain isn't that long if does make a difference to the spin as you don't realise how close the chains get until you add a wick up high and they start clashing!However extra wicks do look damn good! I have a pair of cathedral wick doubles, which I love!So, if you can spin heavy then go for the double.

Delete

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)

veteran

Posted:Would spinning three glowsticks on each string fairly quickly be heavy enough for the double poi?ThanksKinudin

Delete

adamrice

adamrice

poo-bah

Total posts: 1015
Posted:Three glowsticks on a side won't even approximate the weight of single poi--Six, maybe.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Delete

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)

veteran

Posted:
Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link
*twitch* I don't own six glowsticks... I'll buy the single then. Thanks yas all!Kinudin
Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link
[This message has been edited by Kinudin (edited 24 February 2002).]

Delete