FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Well How is every one? I haven't been on the board in a long time! frown I have a few things to talk about:1) How do you use your fuel? I pour my wicks with lamp oil into a paint can. It saves oil, and it doesn't hurt the enviornment when i don't have to "Spin Off" a ton of oil. I feel Lamp oil is the best thing after Karo. However Karo has a Bad smell so I use Unsented Lamp oil.2)How do you Store you pois and Fire equiptment? I now have a rectangle duffle bag i keep my stuff in. Stuff including; a Fire Extingisher, lamp oil, extra pois, fire breathing tools, extra towels, plastic shopping bages, first aid kit (small for Burns) and tools like plyers, scizzors, ect.(the burlap bag is Gone KT smile )# i have others but I will do more postings b/c they deal with other stuff.This is where you tell how you conserve, and maintain your fire habit.

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I use lamp oil. I don't like the soot and smell of kerosene.I have a plastic soaking tub--I have two pairs of wicks, and always have (at least) one pair soaking when I'm doing fire. So yeah, I do have to spin off a lot of fuel. I'm bad.I have what I think of as a "wet kit" and a "dry kit": the wet kit is everything that's going to get wet (either with water or fuel), and the dry kit, well, that's the rest.Wet kit:- Bucket (the whole wet kit fits in this)- Fuel jug- Soaking tub- Fire wicks- Towel- FunnelDry kit:- Poi (with practice wicks)- Tools- Lighter- Spare parts, glowsticks, etc- Camera (optional)I usually carry my dry kit in a small backpack. My bucket lives on the back deck.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
I use a metal dish/bowl thing. I generally practice with a few other people, so we just pour a bunch of fuel into that container, and people soak as necessary. It's big enough to soak four wicks in at once.Okay, this does mean we spin off a lot of fuel, but the environment around us is asphalt and concrete; it's not gonna be bothered. smileFor fuel, we're using kero, sometimes adulterated by Coleman fuel for a brighter/hotter burn (and easier lighting).For storage, I just put the burned-out wicks in the metal container, and put the whole shebang in the garage. I understand that soaking them in some fuel for storage will help them last longer, but that also seems to me like a potential safety hazard.--Kai.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Adamrice,I love the Idea of the dry / wet thing. My bags always get so dirty after a while and reak of feul. that sounds good and i think i can fit the bucket in the duffle bag.Kai, its not bad that you soke and spinn off, and I like the mix to start things off. but I hate to see so much fuel waisted on the earth. Pavement! you should light circles around you, do this by putting more white gass in the mix, and don't spinn off so much. Start off your show by outlinning circles on the ground. the white gass should stay on the ground and stay lit. you can also make disigns with white gass or lighter fluid and light it up while spinning. Although I don't like spinning purly with White Gass. I Do Think It Has Its Uses. smilePs How do I change the subject from I have issues to Fuel and Poi Management?

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!