CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I've been getting quite a few fire-gigs recently, and have found I'm only getting better at the technical, non-crowd pleasing tricks now. I've found any move not using the hands, like devil stick routines with my arms as the sticks, palm spins, body rolls and a shoulder catch/neck spin thingee I do, makes the crowd go nuts, even if it's easy. Are there other moves that people could tell me about. I'd especially love to learn continuous around-the-neck.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Sorry mate,I'm only just starting to think about moves not involving hands...have you thought of using your feet? legs?please post a video to Malcolm so he can put it on this site - I'm sure it would be inspirational smileJosh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Cheers Josh, good to see there are some staffers on this site too. Seems sometimes that Poi is taking over...As to posting a video, can be just normal one? I keep forgetting to get myself taped and it tends to be tourists who video me, some have said they will sen me a copy but I've only heard from one of them (actually, I should send him another email)I'll see what I can dredge up. Please tell any other staffers that I'm always keen to learn new stuff.PS check out my pics under firestaff at juggle.co.nz!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

AjtagThe occasional one...
445 posts

Posted:
try playing around with cratching int in the cruck of your leg and flippin it.i cannot do it but i think that you can drop it down your back and bring it around using the inside of your foot.if it is un lit it is alot easire and you can also do the devil stick thing where you have it on the floor and flipp it to the side and into the middle.------------------moo? ... is that it?

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who dont.
Enjoy - A

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
That sounds interesting, like flipping up a juggling club off the floor but from behind your knee.Thanks Ajtag, I'll give it a go!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

BrainchileBRONZE Member
15 posts

Posted:
Charles,One fun, and rather hard staff trick is to throw from behind you. I haven't mastered this yet, but it looks like fun. You bring the staff back as if you were going to pass it to your other hand behind your hips, flick your wrist and send the staff into the air. Then take a step backwards, so the staff passes over your head and catch it in front of you.I'm sure this trick'd please an audience because not only is it hard and dangerous (watch out for flaming you hair shocked ), it looks as if the staff springs out of nowhere to land in your hand.[This message has been edited by Brainchile (edited 27 June 2001).]

AjtagThe occasional one...
445 posts

Posted:
it you attempt this trick i would advise you to be VERY careful... the firt time i tried i ended up with a 1/2 inch gash above my eye.. quite nasty!!!but it looks really cool.. still cannot do it tho.practice with clubs to get the idea! it really helps..!!cannot stress this.. and yeah thats what i meant about the other moveangus------------------moo? ... is that it?

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who dont.
Enjoy - A

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
I can do that one 1/2 the time and agree wholeheartedly, it's one of the most dangerous ones to get wrong! Except I hadn't thought to take the step backwards, that sounds like a much better option than throwing it forwards as i do at the moment. It might resolve the angled wpin I havent been able to get rid of yet either. I tend to use my practice staff (wooden ikido) for this one too and wrap t-shirts around the ends as I will always hit myself in the head at least once (or shoulder if I dodge fast enough). Also noticed it's much easier with shorter staffs than mine. Mine are all 1.5 metres, but I'm looking at making some 1.4's for doing double staff better. I'll try it more often with one of those and see what happens.------------------Charles Dolbel

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?