Forums > Technical Discussion > Fire Twirling Book - single staff technique

Login/Join to Participate

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure if anyone remembers (it dates back to the old HOP board) but about 3 years ago, Elke and I wrote a book on Single Staff Twirling Technique... well it has finally made it's way into a printed version (I think at the time I last posted I said it would be a week or so away... well we got a little busy!)So.. the 64 page book, which outlines about 40 (? I haven't actually counted, but I think that's about right) moves and variations is fully illustrated, and also has info on safety, equipment etc (of course)... costs AUS$25 (which is about US$12 ? and UK8pounds ?...)The easiest way to get a copy is to email us at moon_fest@hotmail.com or ask your "local" (?) fire twirling supplier to order some......provides a good place to start if you haven't done any staff before (really clear instructions for beginners) or some inspiration and new moves if you have done some before... (has combinations/transitions etc)Happy twirling lovely people!!!PS For Brisbane twirlers, Spring Moon Fest will be on Sunday 2nd September at Shorncliffe Beach email us for more details or visit https://communities.msn.com/moonfest

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Bec,your book sounds great! I'm just wondering tho, before I rush out and get it, the level at which the moves in the book will become redundant?ie have you seen the movies of Xaeda on this site? she spins single staff well - do you think that someone of that level of proficiency will learn much by buying your book? In no way is this a dis of your book, but you did say that it has lots of stuff for beginners, well I'm not really a beginner, although if I thought it had enough advanced technicque in it, I'd buy it anyhow.You should approach Malcolm about selling it through this site.Best of luck with it, I have lots of respect for anyone that actually sits down and writes a book intended to help others in their field of expertise smileJosh

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
...hmmmm...a good question...I had a look through the staff lessons (never had got round to actually doing that before...) and I suppose if you are at the "level" that Xaeda is, (which is so impossible to judge from just what I saw - or difficult to judge at any rate!) you would know at least half of the moves in the book. However, in saying that though, you can always learn a new way to do the same move, or variations that you had never thought of... and also there are many moves that are outlined in the book that aren't in the lessons - so there would be heaps for you to play with if your technique was limited to just those in the lessons... (I'm not saying yours personally Josh - I mean the generic "you"... ain't our language confusing!) Examples are all the movements based on transitions from forwards/backwards fig-8's in one hand (if you are an advanced double staff twirler most of these will be familiar) - turning full circles, "torso twist" - across the body, the "bezerkeroid" (you'll have to buy the book for that one!)- all combine shoulder rolls (fig-8's with 1,2,3 extra twists) also more movements along the horizontal plane etc etc... Just going from our workshops, we've never had anyone (even people I would consider at an advanced level) who we couldn't show new things to - even if it was just different variations on things they already did which made them look a bit different...but then, most of the safety, fuel, general info would be fairly old hat to you, as well as some moves which you know inside and out already... and to be honest the book was written with beginner/semi-experienced twirlers in mind...Does that answer the question? I promise the book is much clearer and to-the-point than this post (!?!).....and PS - copies are already on their way to Malcolm - flying accross the Tasman as we speak! (thanks for idea though...)

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey bec,yeah - it does answer my question. I'll have to think about whether it is better to cruise up to Brisbane for a couple of workshops, or to by the book...I have started doing doubles recently, and I know about the shoulder roll thing (although I'm not certain about the numbers of extra turns I get in mine...perhaps not as high as three?and having the book would be great, cuz I could loan it to the ppl I normally teach smilethanks for the reply.Josh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey bec,yeah - it does answer my question. I'll have to think about whether it is better to cruise up to Brisbane for a couple of workshops, or to by the book...I have started doing doubles recently, and I know about the shoulder roll thing (although I'm not certain about the numbers of extra turns I get in mine...perhaps not as high as three?and having the book would be great, cuz I could loan it to the ppl I normally teach smilethanks for the reply.Josh[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 19 June 2001).]

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
I've got an easy answer to that decision... come and visit us in Brisbane - if you make it up for the Spring Moon Fest (on Sep 2nd) I'll even give you a copy of the book... (oops... is this becoming a "social" post? what do you do when the nature of the discussion changes from post to post?? hmmmmmm?...?)...and yes, the book will be a great solution to that thing that happens when you finally get a chance to relax and go for a burn and someone comes up to you and asks "can you show me that thing that goes like..." and you can just pass them the book and lose yourself back in the world of the firedance.......

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
LOL - sept 2? I'm still going to be at Burning Man on that date smileI will attempt to save enough dosh to come and visit you guys some time over the summer. are you having a summer solstice moonfest?Josh

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
oops, well I don't think Moon Fest really competes with Burning Man (not yet anyway...)We're usually at Woodford (Folk Fest) at Summer Solstice - but check out the moon fest webpage closer to the time - we have them every month during Spring-Autumn, so I'm sure one will close-ish to then...

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I may be going to the woodford folk festival - so perhaps closer to the date, we could arrange a meet up smileseeya,Josh

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
Thanks Malcolm...Elke did all the pictures - but I "modelled" for her (not that I look anything like any of the crazy characters that she has drawn!) I'm really looking forward to everyone's feedback on the book... in terms of which moves are common in your area, what you like best etc...