Page:
CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Pele, sorry in advance if that one has allready been discussed, just could not find it in the searchg section ...here is my question :do you guys throw your poiZ in the air ? is it common ? what can one do ? how far can this juggling thing go ? Shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I don't think it is something anyone has asked me about, and it is something that you don't really see often, it is something I am still working on and, given the right space, it is progressing slowly but well.What can be done are a few things...Starting with one long poi from a reverse butterfly motion, at the base of the downswing when beginning the upswing you can release the handle. The poi will raise up, spin in the air and can be caught (took me gads of practice). With the long one I have progressed to instead of catching it in my hand I let it wrap around my forearm, then I move my arm in a circular motion to continue the swing momentum and the chain slides down my arm with the handle ending up in my hand. I managed to pull it off something like 8 times at the ECSP, people kept telling me to do it again. I am now working up to doing this with two chains. I want to try to release them simulaneously into the air, catch them in opposite hands which would also change the direction of the spin.FOr smaller chains you begin by doing a wrap. ShawnF turned me onto to these. Say the poi comes under your leg from behind, release the handle about half way through the wrap, before the poi can get all the way around your leg. The poi will continue along the path of the wrap but be released into the air. You reach up and grab the handle and keep going. The possibilites are really endless. I am working on the one that goes under the armpit and over the shoulder in front of me now. Also in the works is releasing a wrap over a wrist that is already spinning. Like the first method I described I am trying to get it to slide down my arm and into a one handed butterfly.I am not much of a juggler so it takes me a bit more practice than it might to someone who is used to air borne objects!Also, I usually try these during the day, as it is hard to see the handle to catch at night but in NH I affixed a glowstick to the handle of my fire poi. I think SkiChristian got a photo of it. They said it looked cool when it was released and spinning in the air, quite the dichotomy. However, it still was hard to catch that black handle!!! rolleyesDoes that help???Happy swinging, wrapping releasing! grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 15 June 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

4,224 posts

Posted:
Cheers pele I tried throwing from a butterfly and also from the weave and I still find it damn hard to do it with both poi at the same time. a friend of mine , professional juggler pulled out som thrilling things such as throwing in front and catching in your back... I gotta work on that so I started learning a bit of juggling as well.I heasrd of people doing it in thailand and goa too so it has to work . I am just wondering if I ll have the guts to do it with fire... I'll give it a try tonight and see how it goes...shine onCassandra

AjtagThe occasional one...
445 posts

Posted:
ever thought of using metiorites (or comets, the ones that are joined in the middle) to throw in the air?------------------moo? ... is that it?

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who dont.
Enjoy - A

4,224 posts

Posted:
I wish I could try the meteorite once. I still have never seen enyone use them...Do u think it'd be easier than juggling with poi ?Still trying with unlit poi and it still is a bit hard for me I must say, especially to catch the chain at the same spot every time...shine onCassandra

AjtagThe occasional one...
445 posts

Posted:
no i mhavent but i have tried to tie the handles together to get the effect.. not bad------------------moo? ... is that it?

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who dont.
Enjoy - A

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I think throwing and catching poi would be made a shitload easier if you used weighted handles smileJosh

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
I don't know that weighted handles would be a good idea. I used to use heavy drawer knobs as my handles and they didn't work too well because A) they threw the center of mass off and B) their extra momentum made them difficult to catch. Right now I use racket balls as handles. They are just about the right size/weight (I use tennis balls on the other end) and the rubber that they are made out of has really good grip.

4,224 posts

Posted:
Josh, I remember reading that you are a juggler too, do u think one can actually do the smae moves as club juggling with 2/3 poi / clubs ?????shine onCassandra

daskmember
53 posts

Posted:
Cassandra,I juggle a bit too and...It must be really really difficult to juggle poiz like clubs but you know nothing is impossible grinSeriously I think that if you want to juggle poiz club-like try clubs first it will be easier... (even if it's F%$.ing difficult compare to poi) then you can try to juggle poiz club-like...And with just a bit of reflexion (Morning are hard for me wink )...Throwing 3 poiz in the air must be more like juggling balls than juggling clubs because I don't see where a rotation during the flight can occur... (possible only with weighted handles)In fact It will be something like:- You spin a poi in front of you in your right hand.- You let it go in the air when in the right angle- When it falls You catch the handle with your left hand- another rotation in the left hand ...etcIt must be possible in fact visually a bit like juggling balls but without touching the balls and with nice rotation around each hand tongue (Have to give it a try tonight !!!)I'm afraid that you can't juggle 3 poiz like that because the rotation around each hand after the catch and before throwing up the poiz will take you too much time to involve a third poi.I Hope that you can understand something in this post.Dask[This message has been edited by dask (edited 26 June 2001).][This message has been edited by dask (edited 26 June 2001).]

o]-[DasK]-[o

4,224 posts

Posted:
For what I have tried so far, the difficulty for me is that eachtime you thrown and then catch, the poi changes direction... Some nice ideas here dask, but I don't quite agree with you, cause it seems to that it is still closer to club than balls.As for catching the handle AOUTCH..; I can't seem to do it so I am basically catching the chain and then trying to look OK while getting my fingers back in the handle ...The throwing / wraps combination which pele mentioned are cool but not always easy !STill got a whole lot to practice !!!! which indeed is quite exciting !Anybody else has some tips ?Shine onCassandra

daskmember
53 posts

Posted:
Yeah the change of direction I thought about it... difficult but It's certainly what makes the trick beautiful...For the difference between club and ball juggling:- You use chains so the weight is all over your chains (pffff not stricly correct but...) so there is a rotation and it looks like club- I use cable so the weight of my poiz is mainly in the wick which gives me a felling of juggling balls with trails...Have to give it a try and take some pictures... so that we can compare grin (It seems more difficult with chains wink )Good Luck,Dask

o]-[DasK]-[o

4,224 posts

Posted:
Aaaaaaaaah I see ! Now I understand why you talk about balls and not clubs. The weight of the chains is maybe also a good thing cause when you juggle the chains sort of remains straight during the revolution in the air and it looks quite good actually.I still have to improve my juggling with clubs which basically SUCKS and then it will all be easier I guess. ;o)just a thought, why not combine throwing in the air and fire breathing ???well eeee... that might ruin my beautifull leather handles and de dangerous ? what do u guys think ?Shine onCassandraShine onCassandra

daskmember
53 posts

Posted:
I think you're MAD as Hell grin because It can be F%^*ing dangerous If you miss your throw and took the firechains in the face (full of kero...OUCH frown )

o]-[DasK]-[o

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I am going to go with Dask on that whole fire throwing/breathing thing...at least until I can throw and get the things going the right way about oh....110% of the time.Blowing through swinging poi is fun though...have you tried that?------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
hey DASK, what is "pffff?" Anyway, you've got me completely confused with this difference between ball and club feel. Maybe I'm missunderstading your post, but it seems that uless you bunch the whole poi chain up in your hand before you throw it, it is going to have some sort of rotation that can't be treated like a ball.You can't treat poi exactly like clubs though. Cassandra brought up a good point in that if you throw your poi like clubs, they have to change direction on every catch. Poi takes a lot longer to change direction than clubs, so you have to throw your poi really high, which makes them difficult to catch (not that they weren't difficult to catch in the first place). It would be cool to be able to juggle three poi though. I bet you could do cool stuff with 2 poi while the 3rd one is in the air. One of these days I'll be able to do that.You can throw extra beats into your weave by letting go of your crossed poi before your arms get too tangled. Quickly untwist your arms, and then catch the poi again. You could do a 15 beat weave for example, if you wanted to.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
It is possible to breathe fire off of something thrown in the air. I've done it with a juggling torch as well as with a juggling ring. Note that I haven't done it and continued jugglingThe hard part is the catch. I'd say that until you can catch your thrown implement blind EVERY TIME you probably need to, as I have, set this particular stunt in the, 'for when I've gotten to be a lot better juggler,' pile.Cory

daskmember
53 posts

Posted:
--Bassman'pfff' is a french traduction of someone loudly blowing air ou of his lungs in order to notify he's having hard time... which is shorter that writing (my english sucks) and more polite too winkFor the difference between juggling balls-like or club-like Cassandra as chain-poi and I have cable-poi (without chains and cable instead)... The result is that all the weight of my poiz is in the wick, the cable can be assimilated to a tail on a juggling ball.But on cassandra the weight is equal on all the length of the poi (because chains are a lot heavier compare to cable) so a rotation of the object is possible and it look like more like club swinging.I hope I made me understand smileAnd for the 15 beat weave you have to be damn fast grin and your weave as to be very slow.Good luck...

o]-[DasK]-[o

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
Even if all of the weight of your poi is in the wick, it will still rotate when you throw it up in the air. It will actually have more angular momentum if more of the weight is on the ends.As for the 15 beat weave, your right, you do have to spin your poi slowly and move your hands quickly. It's more a matter of accuracy of your release though. If you release the poi at just the right time as it's peeking, it will just kind of hover in the air waiting for you to catch it. If you release at the wrong time, the poi will go flying and you won't be able to catch it at all. It might help to have longer poi. It's not as bad as you think.Actually juggling poi is a lot harder, although I made some progress yesterday. I must have gotten 4 or 5 catches in a row. I figured out that you can launch a poi into the air from rest (holding it perpendicular to the ground with handle side up) so that it spins very slowly, makes one rotation, and then catch in the same possition that you started in. There is hardly any rotational change when you catch it because it is spinning slowly and it's already in the position that you want it in. I found that shortening the chains made it easier to correct for misstakes, but harder to throw accurately (spins faster when you throw it).

4,224 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I tried juggling with my poi yesterday too, did not manage more than 3 in a row though frownHowever, I find it actually a bit less diffucult than i thought . only problem is that I still dont manage to catch the chain always at the same spot near the handles so after a (short) while it gets rather messy ...feels great though so i'll be working on it this week end for sure !!Shine oncassandra

jamiemember
21 posts

Posted:
what is the 15 beat weave? where do i learn how to do it? where is there video tape of it? thanks for the help, sorry if i seem anxious, but i am!

4,224 posts

Posted:
Jamie,I think the 15 Beat weave is a typing mistake and it was meant to be 5 beat ???and if not I too need to know RIGHT NOW what it is !!! BASSMAN ??????shine onCassandra

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
The 15 beat weave was not a typo :-) Normally 5 is the maximum number of beats that you can fit into a weave unless you are ungodly flexible, you use arm wraps, or you let go of the poi at some point so that your arms don't get so twisted. In this case I was referring to the latter. I was just using the number 15 as an example. You can actually put in as many beats as you want to with the method I was describing. I don't have a video of it unfortunately, but you basically let go of one of the poi as you are twisting your arms on one side of the weave. Then you quickly untwist your arms, grab the poi again, and twist again, before you cross over to the other side. This adds 2 beats every time you do this, and it can be repeated indefinitely. If you do this 6 times before crossing over to the other side I believe you will have done a 15 beat weave (3+2*6=15). It looks really cool when you do it because the poi just kind of hovers there when you let go of it. Of course, if you let go of it at the wrong time or you are spinning too fast when you let go, the poi will go flying away from you.There is also a nice way to do a 9 beat weave without releasing the poi by using arm wraps. After you do 3 beats on one side, wrap the open poi on the crossed arm once. Then cross to the other side, unwrap, and then wrap on the other arm before you cross back over.Is this making sense? Should I try to explain in more detail?

4,224 posts

Posted:
Cool, Bassman ! no need to explain, I know what u mean and I do on a reverse weave most of the time. still have to work on the "letting go of the poi" part.still struggling to juggle with my poi, you know ? aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa but when it works it feels like : smile smile smileshine oncassandra

tracerammoGOLD Member
29 posts

Posted:
I just posted a video that's got some ideas for poi throws. Simple things that you can link up to get crazy stuff... lots of fun!

The wispering of the wise never entertains the fools...

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
*blink*

Surely there have been newer posts on this topic?

That said, well done on the 8.5 year bump.... :hi5:

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I miss Cassandra frown

Agreed with the 8.5 year bump, seriously, nice work there smile

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
bump;

I've been playing with throwing my poi for a while now and have found a couple of cool throws and catches. My throwing experiments started after watching Durbs whip catch video, I instantly loved it and started trying to learn how to do them. 4 years later I have finally got to a point where they are at least semi consistent.

My most recent discovery (although I found out the other day that DaG has been doing it for a while despite my never having seen it and training in the same space every day) is a lovely behind the head anti-spin throw to whip catch smile at the moment I'm finding it leads into a hyperloop but I want to take it to a release back behind the head and into its original hand, I think that'll look awesome.

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
This is kind of a teal deer (get it tl;dr) situation for me so I will answer by what I read

I love throws, they are quite fun to do, and give an added sense of difficulty for the audience without adding much strain to the spinner, I have seen people straight up juggle their poi and then there are "casual" throwers like me, I use them or plain bending/switching, transitions into and out of different patterns and sometimes just for my own daft fun ;D

A close friend of mine has been experimenting with throw/contact poi comboing and it's quite mesmerizing, he has shown me a few things that have made me go, "Okay wait wait wait, show me that again and slow it down, I don't quite understand" and imho it is amazing to see the different ways that people find to manipulate a single object in such diverse ways

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I do a lot of "flavor throws" myself; single tosses, or repeated tosses of the same hand, around the back, etc. Only recently have I been working on patterns (mostly wall plane 1.5 variations and weave-ish things) that involve steady throw patterns or simultaneous/near simultaneous throws.

Strangely, for all their obviousness, same time butterfly throws are still my bane. If I can get them to stay in plane, they collide. If I can get them not to collide, one of them flies off somewhere. At least my wibbles are coming together.

I might as well take this moment to thank (again, since I've said as much on YouTube) JoffJk and Nulleamai for getting me interested in throws, since they've totally changed how I do poi.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
I have also been doing a lot (not as much as I would like but still...) of work with throwing, it is still a very open market even with it's constant evolution there are plenty of open possibilities waiting for someone to stumble upon them

Wibbling has proven quite difficult for me, any pro tips?

Page: