Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
found this website which has 'traditional poi' and a lot of other stuff including samoan knives (anyone do fire knife dancing?)...though i don't know about their quality...https://www.alohahulasupply.com/index.htmlREPULSE!Pere

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
QUite interesting !As for samoan fire knives, I saw an artict doing some juggling / throwing / dancing with knives when I lived in Japan. Quite breathtaking !!! I think he was from the US but I don't quite remember.Do u know more of traditional Poi cause I could not really find much about it on the net. Just a new zealander friend of mine who told me it was some traditional performing and ritual maori object ? Anyone care to tell me a bit more ?Shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Cassandra, the only person i saw performing Maori Poi is Elana. She lives in Boston too and learnt while leaving in New Zealand. You can find her in the "meet others" section. I thought it looked really cool when she did it and bounced it everywhere on her body. It's very rythmic and is integrated into a dance and traditional singing. I couldn't do it at all when i tried! It's a completely different approach than our usual poi, because you are not looking to swing it around your body and avoid to hit yourself, you are seeking the contact. Very confusing...Bonne chance.Nomad

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
heres some more information on maori performing arts...i cant seem to get the poi video to work though which is sad...https://waiata.maori.org.nz/Pere

mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
Sorted the Waiata problem - they left a stray ".." in the address, which means go up a directory. So the correct address forthe video (tested and very nice too) is:https://waiata.maori.org.nz/video/rangiwewehi.mpgactually, they really are quite frighteningly good!mikeyB

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
hey cool...now i have to see if that works for their other videos...think that should be mandatory watching for anyone who's going to call what they twirl 'poi.'3 at one time smilePere

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Really amazing , thanks ... smilewhich leads me to a half / off topic question but how many of you have tried performing as a group a bit like in this video all doing the same moves etc ?shine oncassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"