PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
So over in the move sections there has been confusion about combo's and moves being referred to as different things...so what are the different names you have heard given to different moves?------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
'round here, the folks who introduced it to the area invented their own names for things. I don't know all their names, except they call the weave the spider, the crossover the half-spider, and there's a move not listed here on HoP called the "sidewinder", a simple move where you essentially do side circles, turn your body 90° but not your hands (so one hand winds up in front, one in back), and then keeping your body in place, do low turns back and forth with your hands.Oh, and I note that Pele wrote that post lipogrammatically, without an L.[This message has been edited by adamrice (edited 14 June 2001).]

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
So that's what it's called, a sidewinder? I do it but just thought it a transition. I like the name.I've heard of basic weave= figure 8= cross flowweave=upwards/downwards cross flow= cage (since that is what it looks like on prolonged exposured film)= split chaseBuzz saw= inside wheel= bicyclewraps= taps= touches= tieing it up= bounceswindmill= over head corkscrew= over head split chasearound the world= around the body weave and/or butterfly= chaseanyone else? any other ideas? Think we should include this in the FAQ index?------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
That'd be cool if there was a cross referenced FAQ of moves. I'm afraid that'd be an ever-growing project though. (read: hell, no, I'm not putting it together!)Pele, your list sounds like a good start though I don't think I agree with all your correlations. Like I'm not sure about a "basic weave" but in my parlance figure 8s and cross-follows are different. Cross-follow is like a weave, two beats on the opposite side, one beat on the same-hand side. Figure 8 is one beat on each side. I also thought weave and chase were the same thing. I also know of a move called the cage that's not a weave. I think that version of the cage is local parlance. I have to echo that folx that introduce a move around here name it too. It's a cool concept. I wish more folx would give credit though. Like around San Francisco, Andy and Shawna introduced the butterflies behind eachother's backs move. They call it the Hug of Death and so that's what it's called. I bet there's a bunch of kids in SF who dig on that move and don't know who Andy and Shawna are. I just wish more of the up-and-coming kids knew their elders. So here's what I've gotten from the people who've taught me and from "Club Swinging" by WJ Schatz. The Schatz book is, well, mixed in terms of naming conventions. It was originally published in 1908, so it gives some idea of the naming conventions of the era. But he also calls moves things like the "lower back outward" and the "front waist, arm over back". I kid you not! Here's some ideas from the Schatz world...Cross-follow (short for cross-and-follow): a regular 3-beat weave. Windmill: well, yeah, a windmill. Define as follow (alternating in the same direction, one "following" the other at a quarter of the circle) circles with either center point at the head pivoting at the wrists or in large arm pivoting at the shouders. These alterate between the front and back in the case of the... oh blah, whatever. More details in the book. Shift: Back-to-Front, Low WaveThe only trouble with this whole FAQ idea is that, and we found this in the Fountains threads, is that there are a bunch of different moves called the same name in different areas. Erg...Diana