Forums > Technical Discussion > australian firedancers and performers

Login/Join to Participate

onewheeledweirdomember
35 posts

Posted:
Those of you who perform for paid gigs or whatever, do you have a public liability insurance? Or is an arrangement made with the venue for covering your performance?If you do have public liability insurance - who with and if you don't mind me asking, how much? Does anyone have income protection insurance in case of a flaming tragedy?

.draevonBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
Mr Weirdo,'Duck For Cover' is your best bet for public liability insurance in Australia. It is a Melbourne based insurance company run by performing artists.You can get all the info about them on their webpage at:https://www.duckforcover.8m.com/Ðraevon

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
The Fireflys have full performers public liability insurance for stilts and fire through an insurance broker calledAONphone 02 92537469

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Just looking at Duck For cover and they say "sorry no pyro" so looks like thats out.

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

.draevonBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
I've written to Duckfor Cover about their "No Pyro" notice, and they told me that it only refers to pyrotechnics (fireworks, explosions etc). They are still happy to cover fire performers like ourselves.Ðraevon.

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
yep, we are fully covered by "Duck for Cover" for all our fire & stilt work - being an association of performers makes the fees really low (relatively anyway)... and I've found them really helpful.It *doesn't* cover you for overseas work and it definitely *doesn't* cover you for audience interaction (so busking shows where you ask someone from the crowd into the circle are out) - but for professional shows in Oz it's certainly worth having - sometimes they won't let you perform without it.You do need to be nominated by someone already in the association to join (email me if you like Adam)... because it's obviously really important to keep the number of claims minimal or preferably zero so that the premiums don't go up... so safety (as always) is really important......but for all the details just check out the webpage that Draevon posted - it's all there...

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Ahh thanks for that info, we're looking around for it now and good to know experiences that people have with companies.

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
umm... they can be cool about the nomination thing though... they asked about our work history and then the (old) secretary agreed to nominate us... I think he'd already heard of us though... (that helped!)Thanks the for the offer though, bec. smile

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
If it's an unpaid performance do you need insurance??

So much fire, so little body hair...

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Zoltar, the insurance requirement depends on the promoter, which in reality will be a resounding yes, regardless of whether it is a paid performance or not. This is often the case for street festivals and funerals.

ok mebbe not funerals, but definitely festivals.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Y'all better spin some fire at my funeral.

It's not planned for quite few years but y'all better show. I know several of you have been waiting to dance on my grave and you all have permission.

(Again, no rush please!)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
duck for cover are good value imo, well worth it

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Thanxs Bender.

The situation is this. I work for a secondary school. For their major school production this year they ar doing an outdoor extravaganza which is going to involve a central theme of fire.... reaching a cresendo with a fire sculpture at the end. The fire sculptor is a pro, and thus has his own insurance. They thought it would be good to have some firetwirling to build up to to the sculpture..... which is where I come in.

OK, so if I am an employee of the school. The school has public liability, and I will be spinning as a part of their production, so will I be covered under their public liability?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
zoltar - good luck with the performance.

You'd best check with the school's insurers/underwriters. I'd presume that you weren't covered, cos insurance companies love to have exclusions wherever they can, so I recommend you give yourself plenty of time to sort this out and get your own insurance.

I tried contacting Duck For Cover several times over a 6 week period about a year ago. None of my phone calls or emails were responded to. I was quite unimpressed and although I had left the timing short, I was unable to get insurance for several shows.

anyway! Better luck with them than I had!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Thanx Flash fire,

Grrrrrrrrr..... that really sux. I thought it would be something like that. As many here would know I am a novice (spinnin 4 months), and I have no intention of moving into regular paid, or unpaid performing. The only sort of public performing I would do (aside from on tha beach)is for school or community things. So effectively I am gonna be out of pocket just so I can give something to the community!! This is wrong

How many of you Australian fire performers actually have insurance? Flash fire, you mentioned doing shows without insurance - does this worry you?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
well, the insurance with DFC is quite affordable, and should you choose to busk you will be covered too.

Does performing without insurance worry me? Hell yes - every single time I agree to do a show, I realise that I'm tempting fate.

It's like anything - if you don't have what you may need you will end up needing it, whereas if you actually have what you need, you will never actually need it. Know what I mean? I guess it's like Murphy's Law.

I'd get insurance if I were you Zoltar. Parents of school kids can be real bastards sometimes.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Thanx Flash fire. Think I will take your advice.

The school is covered under the Depatment of Education's insurance, and they tell me that this will cover me.... but I am not sure if they have read the policy that well... Maybe I will get them to pay the insurance premium.

Oh, and yes you are right, parents of school kids can be total bastards

vyvyanjourneyman
92 posts

Posted:
Zoltar,
Get the blessing/permission from the school council. This will ok you to be covered bythe DEET policy. I run a kids circus inn a school and use fire in all their shows and this is how it is done.

...Firebreathing? Magic is only part of it my friend, diet does the rest!

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Kerri,
Thanx for that. That's just what I wanted to hear. Thats what the person organising the show at the school told me, but I just wasnt sure.

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:

I did a performance tonight at a community talent night.

It went great

Afterwards I had a number of people ask if I could do some performances for corporate events...in fact one of them already booked me for a show in November.

As these shows are going to be paid performances looks like I better get some insurance. 'Duck for cover' looks good, but it says I need an existing member to nominate me.
Can anyone help?

Private message or email responses if you are not comfortable posting here.

[ 27. April 2003, 01:43: Message edited by: Zoltar ]

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Hi Zoltar - congratulations on your performance - yay!

I can help with the insurance thang.... I'm a dfc member.... pm me...