Forums > Technical Discussion > Something NEW to spin with?!

Login/Join to Participate

FeniXTranzmember
17 posts

Posted:
yo all just wanted to tell ya guys something so cool and new which has just came out. or at least i havent known about them until now smile but anyways i bought a pair of "electronic glow fiber" they are battery operated and light up with a single button. they are thin wire that glow NICE as hell when you turn um on they look so good some people tell me they look more like staffs whens i spin with them but i dunno lol youll have to see for yourselves .... try them out i highly recommend themcheck out glowstickfactory.com under battery operated. l8r allf tranZ

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
do you mean like fiber optic lights?

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

FeniXTranzmember
17 posts

Posted:
im not sure if its optic fiber try and checkout glowstickfactory.com and coolwireusa.com might be the same product as im talking about but its not assembled and you would have to put one together.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Yeah, the "glow fibers" are electroluminescent (EL) wire, same as Malcolm said. Completely different from fiber optics.I've seen poi made of it, where the wick head was something like a tin can that had been wrapped with EL wire, with the controller inside. Seemed to work OK. I made an EL wire suit for Halloween last year, but the stress on the wire from repeated wearings (what, you think I'd wear it only once?) eventually killed most of the wires on it. It was worth it though.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
Yeah, EL wire is incredibly fun stuff. I think the reason why they say not to spin with and stuff like that is that it's not structural wire; it's more for decorative purposes, and so doesn't have the strength to stand up to repeated bending and flexing (or, Goddess forbid, the kinds of stresses a poi cable undergoes!).Wrapping around the poi heads would probably work great, like Adam mentions. Using EL wire as poi cables would be a bad idea.I've got a couple of strands of violet EL wire that I sometimes lace up and down teh sides of my pants when performing or going out to raves. I think that works better than lighting up the poi themselves, especially if the poi are on fire.Adam -- sorry to hear your suit broke. It must have been damn tight while it lasted.