Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
Wow.... Every morning I have rainbows splashes across my bedroom! I dont know where they come from, but they brighten my day. Just thought Id share smile.I noticed that our video supply has remained somewhat stagnant recently, so before I ask others to pump out some genius, Ill give it a go myself. But... I dont know how!?!?I have access to a camcorder... but... will I be able to get it digitally on computer? Do I need to buy a special digital one? I have absolutely no clue on this one. Many thanks to all!------------------We are not physical beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.~Edgar Cayce

Wow

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
This is really outside my field of expertise, but: there are video-capture cards you can get for a computer--some are fairly cheap, I think, but it's also probably one of those get-what-you-pay-for deals. Anyhow, you'd be able to play an analog tape from your VCR into your computer with one of those, and capture it digitally in the computer, with the right software.There also may be services where you can bring in an analog tape and get it digitized and, say, burnt onto a CD-ROM. Check the phone book under "video"

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Tikimember
44 posts

Posted:
Some of the newer video capture cards that can be gotten relatively inexpensively are more than good enough for the purposes that a home user would need one for. If you are in school or have children/friends in the 15-18 year old range you might even be able to use equipment that their school might likely have to move your video off of the tapes and burn it onto a cd.

1. CAUTION: Knife is very sharp. Keep out of children
2. A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
3. Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
Well whaddya kno?I'm actually doing this whole video camera to CD process for my tennis team since we brough the vid cam to states (by the way we placed 2nd ^_^). NEhow, if you have a Digital Video Camera (I have a Sony DCR-TRV 103) it'll have a firewire port on some part of the camer (mine's on the front left, small looking thing, like a small rectangle, just bent in on one side, does not look like the fire wire port on your computer!). NEhow, if you have non digital video camera you can buy a video card with a capture feature, or *dazzle* which is a seperate accessory that allows video capture (digital by far is the easiest way to go in making home movies). In terms of software, I recommend Adobe Premiere 6.0 (though a tad bit expensive), but all you REALLY NEED is Virtual Dub. Which is freeware and is actually REALLY POWERFUL. Start off by filming whatever you want (in your case, i'd be guessing poi). (dont' get mad at me if i'm not too accurate), Standard NTSC (north america) based vid cams record at 29.97 fps. PAL is different, though not quite sure what. And the human eye can distinguish between anything up to 60 fps. I don't know how the eye works since i'm still in high school but glowsticks and fire leave a really nice trail when you watch it, but if recordig on a vid cam, the camera doesn't have a "memory" so to speak, so it doesn't record the trail frown, which sucks. So if your camera has the function (i'd be surprised if it didn't) use the slow shutter speed (to lengthen the exposure time, and get a trail), or "trail", i preferrably like the slow shutter speed method wink. For web distribution you need to save the video as MOV (Apple Quicktime), ASF (Windows Media Player), or RAM (Real Media). The quality isn't too bad, but it isn't too good either. My preference is to use the DivX format which is a rip of the windows ASF format *Cough*just better*Cough*. Digital Video is stored as DV-1 (Digital Video Type 1) and that is approx 3.7mb PER SECOND. So make sure you have ample hard drive space, or a secondary hard drive to work with. Use virtual dub to take that AVI and convert it to DivX (there are plenty of tutorials out there on this, but if you need help just ask). I don't know if just my computer but Adobe Premiere wont' convert DV-1 to DivX (gives me a black screen as video frown ). And Virtual Dub won't even open the AVI (DV-1) file. So we have to work around this (this took me FOREVER to think of this). Use a program calle AVI Synth to bypass your program and instead uses Windows Media Player (which plays VIRTUALLY ANYTHING, and if it doesn't there's most always a CODEC (COmpresser/DECompresser) for it) to process the video and then sends that information back to your video editing/conversion program (in this case virtual dub). Granted, this is slower then just converting, but that doesn't work, so what other choices are there? and if somebody finds a better solution, PLEASE TELL ME! AVI Synth isn't too hard to figure out either. Just follow a tutorial, or again just ask!I hope i didn't go on too long frownNEwayz, hope that helps some!------------------"Happiness is not a destination, but a method for life"- Burton Hills

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
A few things;your movie should not need to be any bigger than 320*240pixels. follow malcolms instructions for shooting good video. (https://www.homeofpoi.com/poiavi's.htm)Please dont use divX, its got heaps of potential, but its not yet a mature codec, many releases of it are very very buggy, and support for it is very very thin. Please use Quicktime. digital to digital is a better way to go if you have a choice, as there will be less degradation in quality.there are a lot of different video editing packages, I personally found premiere to be a bit anti intuitive - try out a few, find one you like, these days you dont have to be a qualified editor to make movies, some packages are very very easy to use. Its been a while since I did any editing, but I do remember some stuff smileJosh

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
Re: Web Video Formats...What about .mpg? Granted, that's not the standard on this site. But it is a mature and well-supported, non-proprietary format. Wimdows Media, Real Media, and even QuickTime tie you to a particular vendor's products (and said products are often buggy and annoying).Re: Slow Shutter SpeedI'm contemplating getting a camcorder now, just to tape some of my practice sessions and performances so I can see what the hell I look like when I'm spinning. (A friend took a few videos witht he EyeModule on his Visor PDA, but they're low quality and a low frame rate; details are impossible to make out.)Browsing around the Circuit City web site looking at camcorder features, I noticed their mention of "variable shutter speed" as a way to record fast-moving objects without blurring -- including the ability to play things back on slow-motion or single-frame-advance, and still ahve the picture crisp and clear.This seems like it would be much more useful, for my purposes, than getting trails off the poi. (Of course, for "artistic" performance videos and such, I suppose the exact opposite would be better.) But for analyzing practice, I'd definitely go with something that keeps every frame clear, even at the expense of losing the nifty trails. wink

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Does Mpeg stream?Quicktime also selectively drops frames in order to keep up with the speed of the recording, ie if you are using a shite computer, it will still play at the same speed instead of getting all jerky. And not that it matters for this application, but Quicktime is also the best format for keeping the sound and video synched.now this information may be dated, as I havent done any digital video in at least a year.the thing about playback on a shit computer only matters if you have a shit computer (or care about others with shitty computers).I prefer mpeg to real media, because those behind firewalls often have al sorts of problems with real media. Also - the install base for Quicktime is much greater than real media or windows media player (although - WMP will probly crush QT soon, thanks to Gatesy and the default install).but yeah - my computer (still) rocks, so I dont mind either QT or MPEG. (also - both of these formats are cross platform, with MPEG player coming as an default on Mac OS and Windows.Josh

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
Thanks peoples, I have ideas and resources galore now. I might have found a way to cheat out of all that analog to digital though... Im finally getting my camera that takes videos too! Only drawback is it takes 40 seconds of videos per 16mb card, and the cards are expensive! I hope I can compress this down to suitable size to send in here though. Still, nothing beats a good old fashioned video cassette.------------------We are not physical beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.~Edgar Cayce

Wow