Forums > Technical Discussion > Synthetic Kerosene as breathing fuel?

Login/Join to Participate

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
I've been wondering for some time how well the synthetic kerosene (www.clear-lite.com) I use for my poi would work for fire breathing/fire blasts. The stuff is only slightly more volitile than regular kero, and burns far cleaner. Although this certainly doesn't mean it is any safer in terms of toxicity, I'm gonna think that for myself anyways. ;-)In any case, I was finally in to mood to try it out last night. I got all prepped, both physically and mentally, lit my small torch, took a shot in my mouth, and blew away. OMG! This stuff is *far* more impressive than the lamp oil Pele taught me to use in VT. I was told that I got about 6-8 feet with my first blow. It was also my only blow, because I could actually see the fire burning from the torch back towards my face. Now, I don't know how close it really came, or maybe it was just an illusion from the huge fireball, but it scared the crap out of me nonetheless.However, I did get the most incredible rush this time, and I think I now finally understand the attraction of fire breathing. I also discovered that in addition to having absolutely no taste, clear-lite leaves no bad feel in your mouth either. As such, I feel this stuff may have great potential for fire blasts. If I go at it again, I will try to get some more scientific data -- I'll see if I can get it on film/video/data as well as try to get real reports on if the fire is really working back from the torch, and if so, how close it really comes to my face.If anyone else has ever tried this stuff, I'd be most interested to hear your experiences.-p.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
When researching fuels I came across this pj and was informed that it is more toxic than lamp oil, which is why it burns cleaner. The compounds of it that make it more volitile are also what makes it more toxic. Same thing with the odourless/smokeless oil, the additives to make it as such are what makes it more toxic. Sorry to burst the bubble.Anyway, to answer the other question, yes the flame travels backwards as well, if you are doing a sustained aspiration like I showed you. When done properly it should almost appear as if you are kissing the flame, this is why you want a high flashpoint, not so volitile fuel. The lower the flashpoint the more volitile fuel is because the fumes ignite as well as the fuel itself. The oil hasn't igniteable fumes so while the fire will trail back to the fuel, it won't ignite the fumes in your mouth.It is a fabulous rush though isn't it? I love it!!! But, you knew that already. winkCongrats------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Interesting. I really didn't notice the flame coming back towards my face when I tried with lamp oil. Of course, it was all such a rush I could have easily forgotten or overlooked that bit!I *am* going to try to get the MSDS for the synth kero to see just what is in the stuff before I play with it any more now...-p.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
You don't notice it really. I never really did until I saw profile photo's of how close it comes to my face, except for the one time the wind shifted and blew it back into my face and I had to back up out of the flame. That and you have to keep in mind pj that first blows are rarely "good" blows. I think that they are all amazing just because it takes courage to try it properly and soberly, but the nerves and excitement and adrenaline usually makes for a nice flash, such as it did with you guys. Time and practice knowing your comfort zone improves them blows. It did for me greatly.Let me know what you find out about the fuel, I'd be interested to hear what you can dredge up.On your "find" of the exotic performer, did you read she uses rubbing alcohol? That is a first for me. Never heard that before. I am going to see what I can dig up on that one, though I am thinking it is one of those big no-no's, since it's methyl right? (Or is it ethyl? I always get them mixed up.) Oh well, some people will do anything for a big blow winkCheerios! ------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Rubbing alcohol? Eeeyew! That stuff is *so* nasty. Not to mention far more poisonous than the stuff you can drink. Between that, the high volatility and comparably dim flame, it is hardly an ideal fuel...-p.

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Welp, I did some more practice with fire breathing last night, and did it in front of a crowd for the first time. The only thing I have to report is that I did not notice the flames coming back towards my face this time.However, we did catch two blasts with Vees digital camera -- one as a series of high-speed stills and another as quicktime video. In the former, there is no visible blowback, but in the latter, it looks like the flame comes all the way back to my face!Check 'em out:https://vees.net/gallery/list.phtml?theme=fire/crabjam/spitandhttps://vees.net/fire/crabjam/dscn1279.movand also my lame-assed staff spinning:https://vees.net/fire/crabjam/dscn1240.mov-p.

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
Dang... I hate it when you write a post and just before you post it your computer/connection/etc chokes and crashes and then you have to rethink and rewrite the original one and try to remember what you said... If at first you don't succeed...I would stay away from isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) for anything other than cleaning cuts as it causes blindness and other horible problems if ingested... Ethyl alcohol AKA ethanol is "drinking alcohol"... [Always telling my HS kids "DON"T DRINK RUBBING ALCOHOL YOU WON"T GET DRUNK, You'll only get blind!]But here's a fun trick you CAN try with rubbing alcohol: Ask a friend for a $20 bill, dip it in a 50% alcohol/50% water mixture and light it with a match. POOF the bill lights the look on your buddy's face is priceless and just when he's about to ring your neck he realizes that the alcohol has burned off and the bill is fine (only a bit damp from the water that protected it.)Try it with a bill sized piece of paper or a $1 first! To make sure you've got your proportions right. Also, be advised that some rubbing alcohol is already diluted to 70%. [** No refunds from me if you light the bill! I've never lost one in 6 years of teaching and I don't know if non US currency will work but I'd love to find out!]

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
Hey, Mrmo, that's pretty cool. Just tried it with one of the extra deposit slips from my checkbook -- undoubtedly a flimsier type of paper than a US bill. Took some rubbing alcohol we had around the house, noted that it was, indeed, already diluted to 70%, mixed a roughly 50-50 mixture purely by eye (may have made it a bit weak), and then dipped about half the deposit slip in, soaking that half thoroughly.Lit it up (with a spare bowl of 100% water on hand, just 'cuz...), and it burned very prettily for about three seconds, then went out all on its own. Left part of the deposit slip dry, and the edges still wet. Tried to re-light, and discovered that wetness was pure water.Very cool. Thanks for the tip. cool