Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
A local performer gave me the BEST idea sunday. Take your interleave cathedral wicks, unbolt them, and then wrap an extra two pieces of kevlar around the outside, kind of like gift wrapping... just a double wrap so that the wicks have a smooth face... like tube wicks... it's almost like combining cathedral and tube. Re-bolt the wicks, They burn twice as long and the "interior" kevlar is not damaged... and they look incredibly neat.. like little boxes...Does this make sense?

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Interesting idea. Do they really burn longer? That seems counter-intuitive to me. You're effectively reducing the surface area by covering over all the convolutions in the interleave wicks, and I believe those promote better wicking action. Of course, you're adding more wicking material in the process...I'll have to make up a set and test that out.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
i haven't tried it yet because i have no kevlar... so i am interested to hear what you learn...i agree that it sounds counter-intuitive....did it make sense though? that the resultant wick lokks like a smooth surfaced little box? i wasn't sure if i was clear smile

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Twist--Your description was clear to me. One other thing I wonder about with that "box" design is that eventually the outer layer might get pushed over to one side or something. I can imagine stitching the edges to each other with kevlar thread or something to prevent that.

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Adam: The way I picture it is as the "wrapping" wick is actually affixed at the top and bottom of the cathedral fold. I'm fairly certain that this construction method cannot accidentally come undone.However, I agree with your hypothesis on brightness and burn time. I have been experimenting with various folds (I used to be an origami freak) in order to *increase* surface area for a brighter flame.I'm not sure I'll ever be as hardcore as you are in your testing methods -- I just stick to different poi types in either hand and compare as I spin them. Not nearly as scientific, but much more fun. Not that science isn't fun, 'cuz I'm a pretty hardcore science geek, too...-p.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Can someone please tell me where I can get instructions on exactly how to make the interleave wick

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Poidude--You could do a search on this and find some postings here on the subject. As long as I'm writing, though, and at risk of blatant self-promotion, I've got a writeup athttps://www.crossroads.net/a/writing/firemaking.htmlMy approach is a little different than that used by most other folks, but it works.