PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
We do alot of talking about wicks and upkeep and such things. Now I am curious about everything else.How often and arduously do you clean and care for, or replace, the metal bits on your poi? What about the handles? Do you ever check those for wear or replace them, wash them, etc?Anything else in there...staves, torches, etc. Carrying bags/bins and tools?I try to clean mine at the end of every weekend if I can't get to it after every show. This means taking a Qtip and going through each link till it's polished and clean. I have seen soot catch fire and want no part of it. In this cleaning I also check the constitution of all my metal bits, replacing any I deem in need. My handles, being deerhide, can take a beating but I check the stress on the stitching every time, none the less. They get dirty and such so I clean them, and usualy replace them about every four or five months, just to be certain. Old handles get downgraded to practice poi! I polish and check all of my torches and handles, my staves and their grips. I also check any screwy parts to make sure they are secure.As for bins and containers, they are cleaned at the end of every weekend as well, to be certain no funky residue will be on my tools later...like a leaf in my fuel bin or something. I also wash all of my stuff without fabric softener and in dye free, scentless stuff...just because that's what I prefer.I also carry a tool box with replacements for everything you can possibly think of and cleaned well oiled tools for any quick repairs. I also try to keep tabs on my fuel containers to make sure the white gas tins and metal dunking containers aren't rusty and the plastic hasn't been eaten away on the others. It really isn't as excessive as it sounds and in the end, I spend much time, money and love on my tools and don't want to have to be rebuilding them just as I get them broken in the way I like. Kinda like a car, you know?Anybody else this meticulous or am I being anal because my job relies on these things?------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 06 June 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
Well... um... the oil light has been coming on in my car for a few months now... does that say anything?Hehehe....sorry.I do check my stuff before most nights of prolonged spinning... I don't clean the chains because... well... I don't even do dishes. And the ball chain stays really, really clean.I check each ball for stress because I still dont trust them. I also check my nuts and bolts about once a week. My wicks are turning into big, expensive messes because I did not secure them well enough... but they're good enough for govmt. work...

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I think you are exactly as anal as you need to be to feel comfortable, Pele. Admittedly, your routine is a lot more meticulous than mine.I examine my chains, sundry metal hardware, and hand-harnesses at least a couple times a week, but never clean them. I don't practice with my fire wicks, and the rest of my equipment has very little soot because I usually burn with low-soot lamp oil.I check the tightness on my quick-links all the time--before every burn, and periodically during a non-fire practice.So far, knock wood, the only things I've found that needed replacing are split-rings built into my fire wicks, and the finger-loops on my hand-harnesses (which weren't coming apart, but had gotten nasty). I abuse my equipment to find out how much it can take.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Nice question...I generally clean the soot off my cables and staff each time before I light up, because I personally reckon it looks better. I also check that the heads are screwed on properly (I carry a screwdriver in my fire kit). Any fraying on the kevlar heads, I fix/remove. I make sure I've got a clean bit of material to tie up my hair and a clean towel. And make sure I've got clean material to wrap the heads up in to take the gear home again (I know some people recommend plastic over the heads, but I just prefer material as I can still practice with them inside then!) smileI spent 2 hours last night making new sparkler heads that I can clip onto some blank cables. And spent an hour straightening kinks out of brake cables to make some more blank cables. I'll often do maintenance at the same time as I'm making up new heads.

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Mmm. I don't clean my equipment. I have been practicing with bags over my wicks and just wipe any excessive grime off the links and the cables.One question - how often do you deem it necessary to change your handles? I've noticed the leather handles on my poi are already quite worn. I've only used them regularly really since March. I do take care not to get kero on the handles as I imagine it wouldn't be very good for them. ------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I have been using the same deerhide handles since January and think they have only now fully bitten the dust and I will be changing them before my show on Sat....that makes it about 6 months for this set. Oh, and I sew them with sinew so they are really durable.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
The only thing that seems to wear out on my wicks are the handles. Of course, I made them from fashion leather, and they often wind up on wet grass or getting fully dunked in kero or something like that. I recently scored some much heavier leather, so we see how well that lasts. I make regular checks on the swivels and that any nuts are fully tightened, but I've never really found any problems here. On some of my older wicks, the kevlar is getting a little worn where it has scraped pavement, but that is to be expected, I suppose. These wicks have seen a lot of action, btw -- easily several hundred burns, about 7-8 of which were various peeps first burns.-p.

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the handles advice. I only noticed my handles were getting a wee bit worn recently. Guess I should replace them when I get home.------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats